Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have to say, if Google copies the S8 including their fake continuum for the next pixel, removes the curved screen edges, and replaces the back with something a little more durable/grippy, I think we have the perfect phone.

Huge screen, waterproof, USB-C, headphone jack, expandable storage, wireless charging, glance, fingerprint, iris unlock for when your hands are dirty, all the apps, secure (or at least updated) pure OS, good cameras. The only thing missing would be a hardware camera button and full Cortana integration, but I'll take it! :)

Last edited:

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I have to say, if Google copies the S8 including their fake continuum for the next pixel, adds microSD, removes the curved screen edges, and replaces the back with something a little more durable/grippy, I think we have the perfect phone. Huge screen, waterproof, USB-C, wireless charging, glance, fingerprint, iris unlock for when your hands are dirty, all the apps, secure (or at least updated) pure OS, good cameras. The only thing missing would be a hardware camera button and full Cortana integration, but I'll take it! :)

I have Cortana running as my primary digital assistant on my Moto Z Force Droid and it is as close to full integration as you can get (sans reading texts on bluetooth.)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have Cortana running as my primary digital assistant on my Moto Z Force Droid and it is as close to full integration as you can get (sans reading texts on bluetooth.)
That's good. Personally I use Cortana on iOS on my 6S+, but I have yet to see a location reminder work at all. Do those work on Android?

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I had put my Moto G4 Plus on charge on 27th morning and when I went to take it off charge I found it had switched off.I could not turn it on again and pressing power and volume keys as suggested by some websites and by Customer Care did not produce any response on the phone screen.
I was advised by Customer Care to take it to a service centre which I did.They checked it and said that the motherboard needed changing.I was surprised to see that there were many others there who had phone problems in Motorola phones during warranty period.
I am a careful and generally light user and right now disappointed with Motorola.
I do not have to pay anything as my phone is in warranty period.However , I will have to get another tempered glass screen protector as my current one will be removed during the repair process.
I did not have any problem prior to this and that morning phone was working normally before it died.
The service centre phoned me today to inform me that my phone has been repaired .I plan to collect it tomorrow .
I really hope I do not run into any other problem with it.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Cortana on iOS is just another app. Package tracking is sooooooo delayed it's not even worth it.
Huh, I hadn't noticed that yet. Well shucks. As for location based reminders, it looks like it should work. You can create them in the app, and in Settings > Privacy > Location > Cortana you can set it to 'Always', and the app description in that section (nice touch in iOS: apps can leave an custom explanation why they are tracking your every move) it says "This let's me help you with .... including location based reminders .. ". So at least it's intended to work, it just doesn't for me.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I had put my Moto G4 Plus on charge on 27th morning and when I went to take it off charge I found it had switched off.I could not turn it on again and pressing power and volume keys as suggested by some websites and by Customer Care did not produce any response on the phone screen.
I was advised by Customer Care to take it to a service centre which I did.They checked it and said that the motherboard needed changing.I was surprised to see that there were many others there who had phone problems in Motorola phones during warranty period.
I am a careful and generally light user and right now disappointed with Motorola.
I do not have to pay anything as my phone is in warranty period.However , I will have to get another tempered glass screen protector as my current one will be removed during the repair process.
I did not have any problem prior to this and that morning phone was working normally before it died.
The service centre phoned me today to inform me that my phone has been repaired .I plan to collect it tomorrow .

Wow I'm sorry you had that issue. I hope that you wouldn't have any more phone problems either. Hopefully that problem is the only one you'll have.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Wow I'm sorry you had that issue. I hope that you wouldn't have any more phone problems either. Hopefully that problem is the only one you'll have.

Thanks ! I hope so .
I never faced hardware problems with any of my other phones.Not even my Lumia 535 Which is a low end phone had any hardware problem.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Huh, I hadn't noticed that yet. Well shucks. As for location based reminders, it looks like it should work. You can create them in the app, and in Settings > Privacy > Location > Cortana you can set it to 'Always', and the app description in that section (nice touch in iOS: apps can leave an custom explanation why they are tracking your every move) it says "This let's me help you with .... including location based reminders .. ". So at least it's intended to work, it just doesn't for me.
Microsoft Health on iOS has a "default" sync period of 10 minutes. If you don't open that app, it'll never sync. People love to talk trash about how MS apps work sooooo much better on the competition. They look 10x better on iOS, no question, but they certainly don't run better nor do they have the same functionality. Microsoft always keeps a little some-some to themselves.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Save yourself some grief in the future when you're out of warranty and make sure you ALWAYS have your electronics chargers on a good quality surge protector. For all you know, a power spike killed your phone. It happens more often than you may think but people don't give it much thought.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
That's good. Personally I use Cortana on iOS on my 6S+, but I have yet to see a location reminder work at all. Do those work on Android?

Are you referring to say "Remind me to start dishwasher when I get home..." type of reminder? If so, that works for me with Cortana on Android... :)

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Are you referring to say "Remind me to start dishwasher when I get home..." type of reminder? If so, that works for me with Cortana on Android... :)
That's the one. I'm curious if iOS users have been able to use that successfully, and if so on which phone model.

ads13

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm thinking to buy new Android mobile(Nokia or Redmi note4) after getting my Lumia bricked, which was not recieve carrier signal even after MS paid service.
I'm waiting for Nokia mobile when it'll arrive in my city.
Now a days, I'm using my old Nokia (qwerty) as my daily driver (which is still working perfectly) for calling.
But i need some apps for My work which aren't available on w10m and other cross platform apps(fb, WhatsApp) aren't working properly on w10m.
And i don't like to use fb(or other websites) which already have It's mobile app.
Now a days, I'm using my bricked mobile for surfing and feedback and except Calling(which is the root of a phone), all other things can be done (including Wi-Fi)..

Apart, I hope for MS to bring back their developers who had been switched to another OSes.

Last edited:

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking to buy new Android mobile(Nokia or Redmi note4) after getting my Lumia bricked(bought 2 years ago) having no network signal after MS paid service.
I'm waiting for Nokia mobile to launch in my ?????? city.
Now a days, I'm using my old Nokia (qwerty) as my daily driver which is still working perfect for calling. But i need some apps which aren't available on w10m and other cross platform apps aren't working properly on w10m.
And i can't waste my time on signing in/out websites instead of using apps.

Now a days, I'm using my bricked mobile for surfing and feedback. I can use my Lumia with all functions except Calling(which is the root of a phone).

I hope for MS to bring back their developers who had been switched to another OSes.

Websites you visit dont keep you logged in or save your username/password?

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Save yourself some grief in the future when you're out of warranty and make sure you ALWAYS have your electronics chargers on a good quality surge protector. For all you know, a power spike killed your phone. It happens more often than you may think but people don't give it much thought.

Thanks for the advice .I will definitely get one.Power spikes usually doesn't occur in my area,but of course it might have been the cause.
I got my phone from the service centre today and spent the evening setting it up from scratch.

Edit : I forgot that I have a surge protector with my desktop.I will use it from now onwards.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It's been a week and a bit since I got the Pixel (regular size, not the XL). This is a general update/thoughts/ramble or whatever this long post turns out to be. (No use in saying that I'll try not to make this long because that seems to happen anyway.)

The Good
-This phone can really be used one handed very well. I can really reach all corners with my hand without shuffling. My hand no longer gets tired.
-On that note, it's nice to have a small phone where I can correct typos easily without having to erase the whole line and type it again, which happens on my SE a good amount of the time.
-Battery life is pretty good. In my experience, it matches the Honor 8. With Data Saver on, there's an additional boost, which seems not to compromise performance at all.
-Cameras are great point and shoots, regardless of the light situation. I'm a fan.
-The radios (cellular + WiFi) are very good. I haven't had to revert to WiFi calling ever.
-It's so fast!
-Call quality is excellent.

The Neutral
-The bezels are kind of big but I have adjusted to it. They aren't too bad really.
-"Stock" Android is very stock. I know that's what makes it nice to some but I'm indifferent.
-Speaker volume is average to me.

The Bad
-Speaker placement is not bad but it's different from what I'm used to. I use my phones with my left hand so having the speaker on the bottom left is a fail because I have to remind myself to make sure not to cover it.
-Can't change my default email client. I miss that, even though I did expect this. (this is a con to me, but not a real one lol)
-The fact that Google Assistant doesn't have song identification yet is annoying. Having to unlock my phone and then open up the Google App is a lot of steps when I'm listening to a new song in the car.
-There's no way to just silence the ringer and notifications (and NO vibration) without going into Do Not Disturb mode. Considering that I have had phones (on every platform but in this case, I'm referring to Android only) that do this, this is just dumb.

As for how I feel about the Pixel, I still really like it. With the trend of big and/or tall phones now, the Pixel seems to be the only small phone choice that isn't an iPhone and yet, it doesn't compromise something major to me to make it happen. I was internally kicking and screaming to try this (really didn't want to), but I'm glad I have. Looks like I just might be holding on to it for the rest of the year at least.

As for if you should get the Pixel, I would suggest it if you want the nicest, smallest Android phone possible, and if you need Band 12 or you need a phone with nice cameras, speed, and a solid experience. I had the Honor 8, and I really liked it a lot too but I hated that I have always thought about the height of it and how that goes for what I want to wear or feel like wearing. Getting tired of dealing with that is part of the reason why I would switch to the SE sometimes.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Anybody who knows me is well aware that I don't switch platforms, I switch SIM cards. That being said, the S8+ is piquing my interest solely because of DeX. The G6 is sooooo meh and the G5 in my drawer of purgatory is about to feel the wrath (and weight) of the Hummer's tires.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Anybody who knows me is well aware that I don't switch platforms, I switch SIM cards. That being said, the S8+ is piquing my interest solely because of DeX. The G6 is sooooo meh and the G5 in my drawer of purgatory is about to feel the wrath (and weight) of the Hummer's tires.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk
Wow that G5 must have really been a pain for you. Yeah the S8+ is an interesting phone. If you do try DeX, share your thoughts and impressions please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo