Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I read Rumored Now's post and then read it again and still again. I find nothing wrong with what was said or how it was said. I see the same thoughts and feelings that I had after 30+ years of getting in airplanes, rental cars and strange beds each week. After a while I had had enough.

Over the past four or so years I have been an active and participating member of this forum. I find that the only comments I want to make is more of a sarcastic vein than useful feedback. I have a 950xl and a 650 backup and will continue to use them for as long as they serve my needs or they die; which ever comes first. I just won't feel compelled to defend or crucify MS, WM10 or I want everything for free posters. I'm just going to enjoy what I have and slowly move on.

Love you guys.

I would guess that a Cubs fan is the perfect Windows Mobile fan. Hey, what's 108 years to wait for a new Lumia?

Snoops8

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You know, when I initially was interested in Windows Phone a few years back, there was inexplicably a lot of hate going around for all non-Nokia phones. There were a number of people who would troll all articles regarding HTC/Samsung/other manufacturers and say how much crap they were and to refuse to buy them because they were not Nokia the chosen one. Nevermind that there were hardly any OEMs for WPs and Nokia only made WPs because MSFT paid them a boatload of money to do it. I mean, why wouldn't you want more OEMs for WPs? In any case I got tired of all the trolling, stuck with my HTC Radar for awhile and kind of stopped paying attention to the website.

I only recently got interested in WPs again and the only reason I haven't bought one is because of the reported bugs in the OS. It seems some people have a perfect version and others have a buggy mess. I don't mind paying for a quality product but I have to say, nowadays thanks to the proliferation of Chinese tech companies you can actually get a flagship android product for $300-$400. I don't like google but the Honor 8 is probably the best phone you can get for the money right now. It's on sale for $240 until the end of today. Dual camera, beautiful design, customizable fingerprint sensor, top of the line processor.

Honor 8 can be yours for only $239.99 until Sunday - GSMArena blog

For fun I've returned to the HTC for the past several weeks as my only phone and it still works fine. But...browsing the internet is not really doable.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Amen to that!

Your last statement is so true.

The only things I am really using on my Pixel that are new is the spilt screen thing and the long press to access my battery usage and for some apps like Nine. I'm sure that I could do without those but the split is nice when someone calls you and you want to text them but you don't have the number saved.
Pixel?! How'd that happen?

Does DTtW or other wake features come baked into the Pixel? Also how's the camera and all its algorithm glory holding up.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I was reading about lagging problems on the LG G6 and came across this solution:

Glitch: Lagging and stuttering

[FONT=proxima_nova]The LG G6 is a powerful smartphone and the performance should be smooth and lag-free, but we’ve seen some owners complaining about lag and stuttering when scrolling and typing.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova]Workarounds:[/FONT]

• Go to Settings > Developer options. If you don’t see Developer options in the Settings menu, then go to About phone > Software Info and tap on Build number seven times. You should get a pop-up message about Developer options being enabled, and you’ll find the option back in the Settings menu now. Scroll down and find Window animation scale, Transition animation scale, and Animator duration scale. Set all of them to 0.5x or turn them off completely, and you should feel a difference.
  • Some people also report that the lagging was reduced after they toggled on Force GPU Rendering in Developer options.
So I decided to try it out on my OneTouch Idol 3. It does make the phone feel much snappier. I just hope force GPU rendering doesn't kill my battery life.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Pixel?! How'd that happen?

Does DTtW or other wake features come baked into the Pixel? Also how's the camera and all its algorithm glory holding up.

Haha yep a Pixel. To (try to) make a kind of long story short, I got sick of dealing with the height of my Honor 8 and a certain someone around these forums made an excellent deal happen for me to get a Pixel.

It (Honor 8) is generally a one-handed use phone for me but I can't reach the top of the phone without shuffling it in my hand. Wasted time with the Sony Xperia X Compact because I loved the size of it but the camera is bad in low light, especially the front one (with auto mode). There are no other small phones that are available for me to try so the Pixel was my last go.

Yep, DTtW is there and also lift to wake (similar to iOS's raise to wake) is there too. The camera is nice, it makes an excellent point and shoot most of the time. I'm not one to try to use manual modes generally.

AgentSplurge

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
Why i have finally ditched W10m (although still not given up)

Not that anyone really cares, but I fancy posting anyway..

I have been a Microsoft fan all my life and love Windows 10, and Windows 10 mobile. Got quite a few people to switch to Windows phones and had a number of devices myself.

When my contract ran out I was still happy with the 930 but needed a second phone for work, so kept the 930 and picked up an iPhone 6 for free. iOS felt old, boring, restricted, not much different to when I had an iphone 4 from new many years ago.

But after using it for a while I discovered quite a lot of things that I hadn't realised I'd been missing out on by using the OS that was always playing catch up. I now use the iphone as my main device but the 930 as my work phone, much to my disappointment because I would way prefer W10m. Every time I use my 930 I feel so disappointed that it can't be my main phone! But it's basically come down to 2 things:

1) Yes its obvious, but apps.. and I hardly use any, I literally have 11 installed apps on my iphone (in addition to the built in ones such as email and podcasting), but unfortunately the critical ones to me (besides WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook) are terrible/non existent for WM. Snapchat is one that's used by my social circle to arrange events more than WhatsApp and SMS/iMessage combined, I couldn't go without it now. Theres other apps that sometimes I just feel out of the loop because the latest stupid game or fad isn't ever going to be out for WM (boomerang for Instagram for example, or Pokemon go as another example, even though it's no longer on my iphone at least I could try it and have an opinion to share about it!). My bank has now dropped support (although their app was just a terrible web wrapper anyway). The list goes on. It's not the end of the world, but I'd rather use the OS that isn't as nice to use but stay in the social loop.

2) Apple CarPlay. I have been waiting for MS to do something awesome with Cortana to get her working in the car in some way or another for so long, hoping that there would be something cool that would be developed with continuum, I got so excited by the video that went around three years ago (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0AuletNl_8 ) but in the end I have just given up. While siri is no where near as good as Cortana, having siri, sat nav and apple play work on my head unit while my phone charges is something I can no longer live without.

3) Ok I said two but the third one is tap to pay. While I didn't leave windows phone for this feature, now that I'm used to it I could not go without it.

So while Windows 10 mobile is superior in so many ways and I prefer it to Android and iOS by miles, it's so much nicer to use and better for work activities, emails, web browsing, office documents, onedrive, file management, there we are, there's my two/three reasons I have no choice but to use Apple for my daily.

If the app quality was better and the essential ones were not missing (or missing features) then I could put up without most apps other than Snapchat and banking. But Apple CarPlay is the biggest one for me. And no contactless payments too.

So I suppose, if the Windows 10 store picks up, and Microsoft decide to launch a surface phone running full Windows 10, if they figure out a way to rival CarPlay (that video demo looked amazing!), and if they can get contactless payments to work then I would go running back to a windows phone at the drop of a hat.

But for now, iOS is my daily, and Windows Phone just as a work phone used for phone calls and sometimes to send the odd email.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Re: Why i have finally ditched W10m (although still not given up)

I have been a Microsoft fan all my life and love Windows 10, and Windows 10 mobile. Got quite a few people to switch to Windows phones and had a number of devices myself.

When my contract ran out I was still happy with the 930 but needed a second phone for work, so kept the 930 and picked up an iPhone 6 for free. iOS felt old, boring, restricted, not much different to when I had an iphone 4 from new many years ago.

But after using it for a while I discovered quite a lot of things that I hadn't realised I'd been missing out on by using the OS that was always playing catch up. I now use the iphone as my main device but the 930 as my work phone, much to my disappointment because I would way prefer W10m. Every time I use my 930 I feel so disappointed that it can't be my main phone! But it's basically come down to 2 things:

1) Yes its obvious, but apps.. and I hardly use any, I literally have 11 installed apps on my iphone (in addition to the built in ones such as email and podcasting), but unfortunately the critical ones to me (besides WhatsApp, Instagram and Facebook) are terrible/non existent for WM. Snapchat is one that's used by my social circle to arrange events more than WhatsApp and SMS/iMessage combined, I couldn't go without it now. Theres other apps that sometimes I just feel out of the loop because the latest stupid game or fad isn't ever going to be out for WM (boomerang for Instagram for example, or Pokemon go as another example, even though it's no longer on my iphone at least I could try it and have an opinion to share about it!). My bank has now dropped support (although their app was just a terrible web wrapper anyway). The list goes on. It's not the end of the world, but I'd rather use the OS that isn't as nice to use but stay in the social loop.

2) Apple CarPlay. I have been waiting for MS to do something awesome with Cortana to get her working in the car in some way or another for so long, hoping that there would be something cool that would be developed with continuum, I got so excited by the video that went around three years ago (link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0AuletNl_8 ) but in the end I have just given up. While siri is no where near as good as Cortana, having siri, sat nav and apple play work on my head unit while my phone charges is something I can no longer live without.

3) Ok I said two but the third one is tap to pay. While I didn't leave windows phone for this feature, now that I'm used to it I could not go without it.

So while Windows 10 mobile is superior in so many ways and I prefer it to Android and iOS by miles, it's so much nicer to use and better for work activities, emails, web browsing, office documents, onedrive, file management, there we are, there's my two/three reasons I have no choice but to use Apple for my daily.

If the app quality was better and the essential ones were not missing (or missing features) then I could put up without most apps other than Snapchat and banking. But Apple CarPlay is the biggest one for me. And no contactless payments too.

So I suppose, if the Windows 10 store picks up, and Microsoft decide to launch a surface phone running full Windows 10, if they figure out a way to rival CarPlay (that video demo looked amazing!), and if they can get contactless payments to work then I would go running back to a windows phone at the drop of a hat.

But for now, iOS is my daily, and Windows Phone just as a work phone used for phone calls and sometimes to send the odd email.

You're right, we don't.....jk.
Honestly though, I don't understand why people feel the need to do this. It seems like you just copy and pasted one of the other 8000 similar posts and put your name on it. "I've been a Windows fan since...". "no apps". "I'll come back if".
I do wish you the very best though.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site

Watch out here co.e the haters... Well said by the way.

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

But after using it for a while I discovered quite a lot of things that I hadn't realised I'd been missing out on by using the OS that was always playing catch up. I now use the iphone as my main device but the 930 as my work phone, much to my disappointment because I would way prefer W10m. Every time I use my 930 I feel so disappointed that it can't be my main phone!

<snip>

I'm glad that you found what works for you. Sadly your phone is going to miss out on the Creator's Update.

Regardless what works best for each individual is the most important thing over everything.

Tim Turner5

Aug 6, 2015
Visit site

8,000 similar posts and no-one cares? That's one hell of a straw-poll! Perhaps it also explains why so many users walk away from Windows Phone, I guess.

nasznjoka

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site

You're right, we don't.....jk.
Honestly though, I don't understand why people feel the need to do this. It seems like you just copy and pasted one of the other 8000 similar posts and put your name on it. "I've been a Windows fan since...". "no apps". "I'll come back if".
I do wish you the very best though.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

There's alwAys this

JetFixxxer

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Today is my last day using my Icon. I will miss W10M and wish it didn't have to come to this. Hopefully within the next few years MS will get their s*** together and give W10M supporters/fans new hardware and better support. Until then W10M it's been a great run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077