Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathan-NL

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
Re: Sorry, but I've had it!

Your phone is no longer supported, but I assume you have already upgraded to the Creators Update. If that is the case you will keep receiving cumulative updates.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I am a microsoft fan for years...

I bought a Nokia 1520 about 4 years ago, and was completely sold by WP 8.1.

Then, WM10 came, and subscribed to be a windows insider.
I think I have been on the feedback app every day about 10 - 20 minutes on average, searching for info, or just providing feedback in long articles or just drop a short note. Adding pictures on the feedback and commenting on others feedback was no exception. I did all of that with my Nokia 1520, testing WM10... This for about 1,5 years now, if not 2 years ...
So in total I think I spent about 30 days (assuming to be free at least 10 hours a day) in total on the feedback app...

I liked to phone so much, that during December I got it repaired, changing the battery and the USB port (which was broken). It costed me 72€.

Now ...

The news came that Microsoft is letting the Nokia 1520 go... Not more supported. This news comes out of the blue from nowhere. The Nokia 1520 will not receive anymore the creators update... Microsoft tells that in a one liner with "a sorry" saying that the "experience" of Nokia 1520 is not optimal on the creators update. Sorry but this is b***t.
The experience was fine.

It is just competely and utterly crazy what Microsoft is doing. Do they understand how to reach their customers? Do they understand that people are WILLING to buy a mobile phone??? That people are WILLING to spend time and develop apps for it? And that before they take such a decision, that they THINK carefully what DAMAGE such a news brings to loyal Microsoft customers? Not even a warning was given, nothing !!!!

I also own a Lumia 950XL, and was planning to buy another one for my son.
But now after this news, I think Microsoft has lost all credibility for me.
If I would get the chance to ask a few questions to the CEO of Microsoft,
I would ask him the following questions, in a respectful manner:

1. How important is Windows Mobile 10 for microsoft towards the future?
2. What devices can be expected to run WM10 in the future?
3. When is microsoft going to do to win back the trust of their own growing frustrated loyal customers.

And I hope his answer will not be around Cloud... Because that means he does not know what he is talking about. Believe me. Mobile is NOTHING to do with Cloud.

On top, Microsoft has then the arrogance to release a media news announcement that Windows 10 was tested by "millions of windows insiders" ... (What are they smoking).

Well, my take on this would be as follows: If microsoft indeed has millions of loyal insiders, what is the problem then releasing a quality new mobile device, that runs WM10, and that would be promoted through the windows insiders popularity?

I think the whole Microsoft company is completely going down. It is completely on the wrong road. They just don't understand that WM10 is the future! Mobile devices are the future!
And they are not a player, and they will never be a player if Microsoft continues like this.

Where is hololens? Who wants to buy it anyway. Where is surface phone? Where is the capability to run native windows apps on the mobile? Where are the devices from the "partners"? Where is the commitment from Microsoft towards Windows Mobile devices and their own mobile platform?

Sven

You have a three-year-old phone. Exactly how many Androids of the same vintage are getting their respective new OS updates (Oreo)? Go ahead, I'll wait. Even the iPhone 5 and 5C which were released the same year as the 1520, or slightly ahead, have been dropped from getting the newest upcoming update from Apple.

The only Lumia owners who have any legitimate beef about not getting the CU are 950 owners and they ARE getting it.

Keith White Jr

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site

I am a microsoft fan for years...

I bought a Nokia 1520 about 4 years ago, and was completely sold by WP 8.1.

Then, WM10 came, and subscribed to be a windows insider.
I think I have been on the feedback app every day about 10 - 20 minutes on average, searching for info, or just providing feedback in long articles or just drop a short note. Adding pictures on the feedback and commenting on others feedback was no exception. I did all of that with my Nokia 1520, testing WM10... This for about 1,5 years now, if not 2 years ...
So in total I think I spent about 30 days (assuming to be free at least 10 hours a day) in total on the feedback app...

I liked to phone so much, that during December I got it repaired, changing the battery and the USB port (which was broken). It costed me 72€.

Now ...

The news came that Microsoft is letting the Nokia 1520 go... Not more supported. This news comes out of the blue from nowhere. The Nokia 1520 will not receive anymore the creators update... Microsoft tells that in a one liner with "a sorry" saying that the "experience" of Nokia 1520 is not optimal on the creators update. Sorry but this is b***t.
The experience was fine.

It is just competely and utterly crazy what Microsoft is doing. Do they understand how to reach their customers? Do they understand that people are WILLING to buy a mobile phone??? That people are WILLING to spend time and develop apps for it? And that before they take such a decision, that they THINK carefully what DAMAGE such a news brings to loyal Microsoft customers? Not even a warning was given, nothing !!!!

I also own a Lumia 950XL, and was planning to buy another one for my son.
But now after this news, I think Microsoft has lost all credibility for me.
If I would get the chance to ask a few questions to the CEO of Microsoft,
I would ask him the following questions, in a respectful manner:

1. How important is Windows Mobile 10 for microsoft towards the future?
2. What devices can be expected to run WM10 in the future?
3. When is microsoft going to do to win back the trust of their own growing frustrated loyal customers.

And I hope his answer will not be around Cloud... Because that means he does not know what he is talking about. Believe me. Mobile is NOTHING to do with Cloud.

On top, Microsoft has then the arrogance to release a media news announcement that Windows 10 was tested by "millions of windows insiders" ... (What are they smoking).

Well, my take on this would be as follows: If microsoft indeed has millions of loyal insiders, what is the problem then releasing a quality new mobile device, that runs WM10, and that would be promoted through the windows insiders popularity?

I think the whole Microsoft company is completely going down. It is completely on the wrong road. They just don't understand that WM10 is the future! Mobile devices are the future!
And they are not a player, and they will never be a player if Microsoft continues like this.

Where is hololens? Who wants to buy it anyway. Where is surface phone? Where is the capability to run native windows apps on the mobile? Where are the devices from the "partners"? Where is the commitment from Microsoft towards Windows Mobile devices and their own mobile platform?

Sven

You haven't had to buy new phone for 4 years, and you're mad that it isn't getting any more updates?? Also, you can always just hack the registry and jump right onto the new updates if it's that big of a problem for you to not have them.

Why wouldn't Windows 10 have "millions of windows insiders" between phone, PC, and Xbox?

nCogNeato

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
After 10 years of exclusively using Windows Mobile/Phone, I recently decided to purchase an Android model.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a Moto G5 Plus, but then heard about the upcoming Nokia 6. I'm going to hold onto my Lumia 1520 for another month until the Nokia 6 releases in the US.

If/when Microsoft finally gives us a "Surface Phone", I'll happily retire whatever Android model I'm using at the time. :winktongue:

anon(6038817)

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it, but I think my time on this platform may be winding down.

Why?

It's not the platform. I still LOVE how everything I want to see on my phone is close to the surface and the stuff I don't want isn't in my face. I like how smooth and seamless it is as I move throughout my day and from phone to PC and back.

It's not the apps. I honestly don't need or use many.

I came to Windows Phone in 2013. I've used many phones from Lumia and others. I've liked the hardware, the OS right up into W10M and the experience (for the most part).

When I first came to Windows Phone these forums were filled with complaints about apps. Where are they all? Why don't we have x, y, z? Why doesn't Microsoft throw money at developers to bring apps here? Why does the developer want me to pay for their app? Why aren't all apps free? How can I cheat and install paid apps for free?

Windows Phone peaked for market share in late 2014 and early 2015. It was never big in the US, but several European and Asian countries had double digits for % share of mobile. In January of 2015 I started an initiative to help encourage developers by getting them an annual bonus. Buy an App Day was borrowed from webOS Nation and the premise is simple: one day every year is set aside for users to buy as many apps as they can. This way the user base makes their presence felt in one big mass, developers get money and encouragement and we hopefully keep the whole ball rolling...

And the silence was deafening. Few people cared or participated. With 7 weeks time pushing the concept in the forum we only had 9 participants including myself. 9 out of the thousands that come here daily. The view rate on the thread was low as well. Users didn't want apps, at least not if they had to pay for them and they didn't want to support developers with even $0.99. I was saddened for the future of our platform after the effort closed.

Fast forward to July of 2016. Lumia has been officially buried. No first party phones are coming until whenever "Surface" decides to surface. The 950/XL, the 650 and the 550 all underwhelmed and the user base was here posting again. Where are the phones? Why aren't they subsidized? I don't like the prices. Where are the other OEMs? Why can't I get 1st gen, top tier spec for $300 or less?

Nuans Neo launched their kickstarter campaign. Their goal was $725,000 to cover the costs of certifying in various countries so they could sell outside of Japan. MSRP on the phone was $400, but early pledges could snag it for $270. They only received 489 pledges for a total of $142,368 or about 1/5 of the goal. My pledge was one of the 489 and I made it early on. The whole campaign was surrounded by negative comments from the user base. Ugly, bulky, not high enough spec, not a low enough price...

Say what you want about the Neo, ugly or beautiful, but it is one of the most unique phones we've ever seen. Not only did it not get out of Japan, we soured them on the platform and their next device will be Android.

And now this... I don't even want to get into the negativity and complaints. They are out there, go look at them if you want. It's just more of the same. Even the Executive Editor is infected now.

Why should developers and OEMs support us? We clearly don't support them. I don't care what you personally bought, how much you paid for it or what you think you are owed. This is my opinion. As a whole, the user base is stingy and apathetic. They like to sit around complaining about how it is all dissolving rather than doing something about it. If there was any money in this for anyone, wouldn't the developers and OEMs come get their share?

Y'all sit around talking about chickens and eggs. I tell you what, we don't lay any golden eggs and that's why there are no chickens.

I've had it. I really can't take it any longer after seeing the rush to boo and hiss Cerulean off the stage when they are simply trying to help the platform stay viable or to even grow down the line. This will likely be my last hurrah with Windows Phone.

I think I'm taking my $300 I'll get back when the Cerulean Indiegogo closes and getting a Sony Xperia X so I can put it on Sailfish.

Happy sailing, y'all.

As a BlackBerry refugee this post really resonated with me. I share your frustration - both over the current Windows Mobile situation and over my dearly departed BB10.

There are a lot of parallels between the BB10 and Windows Phone story. So many, in fact, that it's uncanny.

I'm marooned with an iPhone SE right now. It's great to have apps, and I am able to get more done with it overall than on a BB10 phone. But it's lacking in so many other ways.

My dream device doesn't yet exist. For years I've wanted a smartphone-sized device that I can pair with tablet, laptop, or desktop hardware and that is powerful and flexible enough to drive a full-featured experience with each form factor.

Continuum is the closest I've seen to making that dream a reality. I've been patiently waiting for Microsoft to deliver on the full potential that Continuum represents, but it's obviously not important to them. That's extremely frustrating. But I'm used to being frustrated by tech companies that don't recognize or realize the full potential of their own products.

I might still get another Windows 10 Mobile phone (I've owned a Lumia 950 in the past). The fact that Continuum currently supports Remote Desktop and TeamViewer does make it useful enough for my needs.

If there is ever a phone-sized device running Windows on ARM that can run x86 apps in a Continuum-like environment, I will throw my money at it and buy it in a heartbeat.

But I agree, with the lack of interest shown by even the most devoted fans, why would Microsoft want to put any more resources into the platform?

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
The fact that Continuum currently supports Remote Desktop and TeamViewer does make it useful enough for my needs.

I use this so much, love it.

They just need to give us windowed continuum mode so that the non uwp apps can still open up. Though not horrible since I could still use them on my phone, but would prefer just leaving the phone docked and with screen black and using continuum 100%

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I use this so much, love it.

They just need to give us windowed continuum mode so that the non uwp apps can still open up. Though not horrible since I could still use them on my phone, but would prefer just leaving the phone docked and with screen black and using continuum 100%

I use it everyday myself. You can minimize it on Continuum and open another app. It's not the most efficient way of doing it but it keeps you working on the big screen. To do this you have to swipe in from the right edge to bring up the task switcher (on the display, not the phone).

Jose A Rodriguez

Apr 25, 2017
Visit site
With the possible "death" of Windows Phone, which OS are you switching to?

We're not sure yet if Windows Phone is completely dead, although if it does die no one would really be surprised. But if (or when) the time comes which platform OS is everyone moving to?

Which phone is gonna be your new phone? Android or iOS? Galaxy S8 Windows Edition or iPhone 8? Would love to hear your thoughts!

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: With the possible "death" of Windows Phone, which OS are you switching to?

I'm not one to spend $$$ on a phone, which is why my family all have 640s.

But my wife's company has apps she needs that aren't available for Windows, so I recently switched her to a Samsung Galaxy Express Prime for $70 from Best Buy. It's pretty much the android equivalent of a 640 from what I can tell. Not a bad little phone, especially given the price, and it does have a nice Amoled screen. I'll probably get one of those too.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site

We're not sure yet if Windows Phone is completely dead, although if it does die no one would really be surprised. But if (or when) the time comes which platform OS is everyone moving to?

Which phone is gonna be your new phone? Android or iOS? Galaxy S8 Windows Edition or iPhone 8? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Well I'm still on bb10. At this stage I'm almost ready to wait till current slab devices are more over, and there's some alternatives. Clamshell, watch, something with proper gaming power. Just kind of bored by the whole thing. Nothing excites me enough to want to pony up cash.

I'd rather spend money on console/desktop/hybrid, at least there the extra money will deliver software advantages for the hardware. At this stage buying a new phone doesn't really give you anything. You get better specs, but unlike a PC, or tablet, you don't actually get to do anything truly useful the older device can't do (fingerprint scanner? meh).

Maybe a better camera, and I have a digital camera that's boss.

Yeah atm that's me. I might have my already old phone for another two years or so, before someone actually makes something that has advantages that feel worth the cash.

I mean really for me, with a device its that "I want to do this", oh no, I can't I need a new device - that's the driver. Can't really say that about phones these days can ya?

Something windows 10 with an active stylus would be cool. Windows on arm would do it maybe. Then I could at least run the odd extra win32 touch app. If there was a phone that was really good at gaming, or VR, that would be a pull. High def audio is attractive, but not enough to vacuum cash from my wallet.

I mean, you buy a new gaming desktop, there's tonnes more you can do that an older device. Buy a VR headset? Whole world of new things to do. Buy a tablet with active stylus, more software, ink, art.
Buy a new phone - its slightly faster. lol. I don't really see the point yet. And my phone is already a 2013 phone. Probably my xiaomi mi fit 2, fitbit clone is more exciting to me than a new phone and that cost 25 bucks. That measures my heartrate and looks cool on my arm. That's two more valuable functions than a new phone would deliver.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I use it everyday myself. You can minimize it on Continuum and open another app. It's not the most efficient way of doing it but it keeps you working on the big screen. To do this you have to swipe in from the right edge to bring up the task switcher (on the display, not the phone).

Yea I'm ok with the one window at a time, cause my 950XL is close to it's limit in terms of multitasking in continuum... I was more solutioning for giving me the option to launch win8.1 (non uwp apps) like whatsapp in continuum.

what do you mean about swipe in from the right, the task switcher button is right on the task bar of continuum?

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site

I assume the Galaxy S8 Windows Edition you speak of is just going to be an android phone with Microsoft apps preloaded.

jmass76

Mar 22, 2017
Visit site
Welp, I'm done.

I have been using a Lumia 640 and 640XL for the last year. I had originally gotten the phone as a secondary prepay work phone. I was so impressed by the inexpensive windows phones that I sold my Iphone (a brand I had used for about ten years, but got disgruntled when you had to pay $600 for a new phone). But lately it's just one problem after another.

The camera locks up in "Saving" mode and the only thing to do is reset the phone.

When trying to read a website, the page continuously refreshes to the point I just say "screw it" and put the phone down.

About a month ago my hotmail quit working and I had to come on here to find a work around.

Not to mention NO APPS!

I ordered my Moto G4 from Amazon today. It should be better, at least it will have APPS! Sorry, I had to rant somewhere and this seemed like the best place.

Regards

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Debating trying a Sony Xperia X Performance just to see how it compares to the Pixel when it comes to battery life. A good amount of specs are similar and yet, it's the one coming up on phones with great battery life and the regular pixel is not. Apparently the two have similar dimensions too, even though it's a bit heavier.

It's crazy that it's still much but I do see it for sale lately. I might do it but at the same time, I'm not sure if I should be bothered to try it.

Edit: The Pixel is good on that area but if it could be slightly better, that would be nice.

Edit 2: On second thought, I'm not going to. While the idea is one to consider, I have already sunk in additional funds to have the Pixel set for me. I can't be bothered to deal with another phone again. That includes a charger which is ($$ because Google is the only legit source), a skin, screen protectors, and a case.
I could sell it all together sure but I don't feel like dealing with all of that. I just don't. Never mind the fact that I literally just purchased three screen protectors for three different phones. Thankfully they don't all need cases too. Ugh.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think I'll do it, just because I will have it tomorrow. LOL. I just need to know. I haven't opened the Pixel screen protector even though I got it days ago.

I feel the need to know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb