Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ionutzv

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
After being for years Nokia and later Microsoft user I finally made the switch to Android ( huawei p9 lite) . Lack of applications and bad or totally missing integrations of google products force me to this. I own yet a 8.1 lumia 640 lte and a 8.0 lumia 520. Waiting for the news for this platform, I am willing to came back anytime to it if major improvements will be done.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
I'm sure there are others that are equal to the Pixel. I just prefer the 1st party Android software and lack of "bloatware", and the speed at which it gets updates.

That's sort of a confusing proposition to me. "Bloatware" is basically apps installed by the manufacturer (which is a bit of a misnomer, because some third party apps are awesome, its service footprint, not software installation that slows the system). The manufacturer is google. Google makes all the apps in android. So is the whole thing "bloatware" by that definition? This is one of those situations that should make robots have errors.

No comment on your phone at all, just a random ramble

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
After being for years Nokia and later Microsoft user I finally made the switch to Android ( huawei p9 lite) . Lack of applications and bad or totally missing integrations of google products force me to this. I own yet a 8.1 lumia 640 lte and a 8.0 lumia 520. Waiting for the news for this platform, I am willing to came back anytime to it if major improvements will be done.

I guess googles snubbing of the UWP system paid off for them in the end then, there. Out of curiosity, what google products were you missing?

ionutzv

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
First is google maps, after that is about other apps that are missing or are crashing too often: fb messenger, wassup, pinterest, instagram, tapatalk etc.

NYCMetsPDX

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Long time Windows Phone user (First smartphone I ever owned was a 521 that I loved for 2.5 years, converted my wife from an Android to a 1020, the moved to my 950XL) who just purchased a OnePlus 3T as a secondary phone. I will still keep my 950XL as a daily driver (I develop apps for the ecosystem as a hobby and love it too much to leave) but I do want to be cognizant of other platforms as I have only previously used Windows Phone. My wife did give me crap though for ordering a droid as she says the Alcatel Idol 4s is the best phone she's ever owned.

I'm not going anywhere, but am eagerly awaiting the next iteration of Windows on mobile.

Janne73

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site
I've used windows phones since launch of Lumia 1020 and now using L950. So camera thing is big deal for me.
I'm not switching to another ecosystem, if there's a app what I cannot install to my Lumia, then I don't need it. I'll find another ways to use that app if at all. I'm loving windows10 mobile, it works perfectly for my needs.

But how long I can use my L950? I don't know. I might switch to another brand, HP, alcatel, but no other makers have that good camera as Lumia's have. So I sticking with Lumia 'til battery runs out....

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Feature of windows mobile 10

You're a Windows fan but you're mocking it and moving to Android. Got it.

I would hardly call it mocking it. People have been waiting for years for improvements to the platform. Seems there's quite a number of people who say that it's just not quite stable like it used to be (WP8 and 8.1 were pretty solid), so I think it is a fair statement to say they're tired of waiting for improvements. It's also a fact that the CU is not supported on many older phones. And, like it or not, Android is a much more mature platform and ecosystem.

I love Windows phones. I miss mine. And if progressive web apps end up making more apps available on Windows phone someday, I would *love* to come back. But right now, Android is much better platform and ecosystem.

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
First is google maps, after that is about other apps that are missing or are crashing too often: fb messenger, wassup, pinterest, instagram, tapatalk etc.

Ah, if apps are crashing you were maybe, probably using an upgraded win 8 phone. Upgraded phones, on new revisions tend to suffer those stability problems on any platform. Is that right, was it a windows 8/8.1 phone upgraded? Same thing happens on ios/android upgrades too. Head over to android central if you doubt me, every time theres a new revision of android, the headaches are endless.

My advice, is if you have such problems, don't upgrade. Keep it on the OS it shipped with. Maybe that's not idea, but software is coded for hardware compatibility. Its impractical for google, apple or MS, to test and maintain compatibility for a whole bunch of older models.

Hence why MS made the call of not taking many to CU. Frankly, they've probably supported those models for way too long than is practical out of loyality. An android manufacturer basically NEVER would have promised 3-5 year old phones a new revision.

Google maps has a web app btw. Its not as fast, but it still works (theres an app webapps that lets you pin those as standalone apps). I use all the google apps as web apps on my tablet. But that sort of depends on network speed, and cpu/ram power for useability.

ionutzv

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
Ah, if apps are crashing you were maybe, probably using an upgraded win 8 phone. Upgraded phones, on new revisions tend to suffer those stability problems on any platform. Is that right, was it a windows 8/8.1 phone upgraded? Same thing happens on ios/android upgrades too. Head over to android central if you doubt me, every time theres a new revision of android, the headaches are endless.

My advice, is if you have such problems, don't upgrade. Keep it on the OS it shipped with. Maybe that's not idea, but software is coded for hardware compatibility. Its impractical for google, apple or MS, to test and maintain compatibility for a whole bunch of older models.

Hence why MS made the call of not taking many to CU. Frankly, they've probably supported those models for way too long than is practical out of loyality. An android manufacturer basically NEVER would have promised 3-5 year old phones a new revision.

Google maps has a web app btw. Its not as fast, but it still works (theres an app webapps that lets you pin those as standalone apps). I use all the google apps as web apps on my tablet. But that sort of depends on network speed, and cpu/ram power for useability.
Actually no, I have the 640 with stock 8.1
no upgraded os.
I am aware of the problems which might appear on every platform, there is no perfect os or platform.
I`m planning to update my lumia 640 to wp10. I keep my two w phones closely in case of platform returning .
After one week on Android I am satisfied, still missing a couple of things from wp but I took the right decision ( for me, till now).

Drael646464

Apr 2, 2017
Visit site
Actually no, I have the 640 with stock 8.1
no upgraded os.
I am aware of the problems which might appear on every platform, there is no perfect os or platform.
I`m planning to update my lumia 640 to wp10. I keep my two w phones closely in case of platform returning .
After one week on Android I am satisfied, still missing a couple of things from wp but I took the right decision ( for me, till now).

Ah, well that is a poor showing, if its crashing on native OS. Still could be bad coding on the app developers part's, mobile apps are notoriously low quality on all platforms. I've come across apps on android that essentially always crash, so I just uninstall them.

I just read over on another thread that the swap file on win10 mobile is 256MB, and some apps, just ruin the ram, by being very badly written - where performance is increased by using interop to increase the swap to 1 gb (including decreasing some crashing). Being the 640 has 1gb rather than 2 or 3, perhaps this is the cause? Just a thought.

Good show on enjoying android. There's a lot of apps, and its a pretty nicely designed stack.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
For those of you who are interested in my chronic phone switching, I got the iPhone 7 with the battery case yesterday night. It's nice but unfortunately, it's not amazing enough to justify the price for me.

The battery life is great but I like the Pixel more. It's more shiny and fascinating to me. I'm possibly going to return this phone and just stick to my SE for iOS. Missing the Pixel though.

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
For those of you who are interested in my chronic phone switching...

I think I wore out my Tmo SIM switching so much this past month :grincry: . All of the phones I use (L950 and XL, Moto X Pure, Idol 4s, and iPhone 6s) suddenly had cellular connectivity issues. New SIM I got works great :grincry:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I think I wore out my Tmo SIM switching so much this past month :grincry: . All of the phones I use (L950 and XL, Moto X Pure, Idol 4s, and iPhone 6s) suddenly had cellular connectivity issues. New SIM I got works great :grincry:

Ooh that scares me. It's a hard life for a switcher. Lol!

That could be me next.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

That could be me next.

I once dropped one down inside the frame of my leather sofa, never to be found again. It was a Sunday and had to wait until the next day to go get a replacement.
Such is the life of a switcher.

Sent from mTalk on my SP4

kittyhawk65

May 3, 2017
Visit site
After having the lumia 1020 os 8.1, I finally had it with my windows based phone, after 5 years. Facebook/Messenger were no longer supporting the 8.1 OS on the 1020 phone. And Mirco Soft wouldn't enable an upgrade from 8.1 to windows 10. They could have if they want too!

So, this past Saturday I went to Walmart got a Straight Talk smart phone, on sale. $45/month, told AT&T I'm done too. Half the cost, and the works great. I'm retired, have Sprectrum wifi 60mbs 2-3 times faster than AT&T.

Windows phones only have maybe 2-3% of the market so i am told. Gates shows no effort to keep his old customers happy.

By all means don't buy one, and if are thinking of leaving, DO IT!

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

That could be me next.
I wish I'd heard about tmobile's Digits beta earlier. That would (among other options) give you two SIM cards for the same number. I'd definitely like to have a working SIM in my 950XL and my 6S rather than having to swap SIMs.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
For those of you who are interested in my chronic phone switching, I got the iPhone 7 with the battery case yesterday night. It's nice but unfortunately, it's not amazing enough to justify the price for me.

The battery life is great but I like the Pixel more. It's more shiny and fascinating to me. I'm possibly going to return this phone and just stick to my SE for iOS. Missing the Pixel though.

Want to buy one? I know a guy... :winktongue:

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I wish I'd heard about tmobile's Digits beta earlier. That would (among other options) give you two SIM cards for the same number. I'd definitely like to have a working SIM in my 950XL and my 6S rather than having to swap SIMs.

That would be nice. I have seen people mention they have a clone SIM, but didn't know how they did it. No such luck on Cricket, but that is a sacrifice I make to save the $$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb