Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Sumbitch this x3 vs. DTEK60 thing is not going as planned. I would've normally made a decision by now but I guess when comparing flagships from different manufacturers and different OSes this is to be expected.

Sent from my Elite x3 on mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Sumbitch this x3 vs. DTEK60 thing is not going as planned. I would've normally made a decision by now but I guess when comparing flagships from different manufacturers and different OSes this is to be expected.

Hmm what has made this challenging? Please elaborate...

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmm what has made this challenging? Please elaborate...
I've never given fingerprint scanners a second thought until about a month ago. My princess and her autism have discovered that erasing emails, contacts and so forth are fun and challenging. Until this "phase" goes away like all the previous ones, security is paramount. Today she wiped her grandfather's iPhone but he deserved it, we've only been telling him to set up a password for a few weeks. Anyhoo, the x3, and any Windows phone for that matter, is on the slow side to unlock. The BlackBerry is lickety split. It's also more manageable due to its footprint and is easier to make and answer phone calls. The x3 has Outlook, 'nuff said.

Edge has really stepped its game up since CU. Rendering pages is no longer an exercise in patience and printing is very much improved especially if you have an HP printer.

Camera performance is very close that you have to call a tie. The larger display on the x3 makes a not so subtle difference but the DTEK's speakers blow the HP out of the water.

Notice I haven't mentioned apps. I'm having a hard time just balancing core functions and hardware nuances. This may go into extra innings and there's no one warming up in the bullpen.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I've never given fingerprint scanners a second thought until about a month ago. My princess and her autism have discovered that erasing emails, contacts and so forth are fun and challenging. Until this "phase" goes away like all the previous ones, security is paramount. Today she wiped her grandfather's iPhone but he deserved it, we've only been telling him to set up a password for a few weeks. Anyhoo, the x3, and any Windows phone for that matter, is on the slow side to unlock. The BlackBerry is lickety split. It's also more manageable due to its footprint and is easier to make and answer phone calls. The x3 has Outlook, 'nuff said.

Edge has really stepped its game up since CU. Rendering pages is no longer an exercise in patience and printing is very much improved especially if you have an HP printer.

Camera performance is very close that you have to call a tie. The larger display on the x3 makes a not so subtle difference but the DTEK's speakers blow the HP out of the water.

Notice I haven't mentioned apps. I'm having a hard time just balancing core functions and hardware nuances. This may go into extra innings and there's no one warming up in the bullpen.

Wow, I see. She sounds like a smart girl so I get the importance. Hmm that is going to be hard, I can get why you feel this way. Slower scanner sounds like a solid compromise but calls and sound are also really important too.

I wish you good luck with this hard decision.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Do you know if W10 fp scanners are any quicker? Either the keyboard integrated ones or the power button? Is it W10M only...?

I'm going to try to look for a reg edit to remove the hello face and wink splash personally...

What about iris? Faster or slower than the finger print scanner?

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Do you know if W10 fp scanners are any quicker? Either the keyboard integrated ones or the power button? Is it W10M only...?

I'm going to try to look for a reg edit to remove the hello face and wink splash personally...

What about iris? Faster or slower than the finger print scanner?

I'm guessing it's W10M. As I mentioned in my post, the DTEK60 is extremely quick and it's the same phone as the Idol 4S for all intents and purposes. I believe the display resolution is the only difference between them.

The iris scanner is definitely slower than the fp and it was no different on my 950 series.

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
yes! I finally can search my calendar again. That was so frustrating on W10M. I live by my calendar at work.

Another calendar related question on iOs: Siri & Cortana reminders.

I've set Outlook.com as my default calendar, but neither Siri nor Cortana reminds go into the calendar.

Is this just how it is?

P.s. received my iPhone 6s yesterday :).

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I wanted to do a comparison between my Elite X3 and my Iphone for opening mail in Outlook. I've often complained about how slow opening email in Outlook is on Windows Mobile. I did the comparison on the Elite X3 so to ensure the latest mobile chipset was represented on each device.

I have posted feedback here: https://insider.windows.com/en-us/f...d=66265c4d-2284-431a-b2ed-0c7f1bcbefbf&form=2

Here's the video: https://youtu.be/FNyaTOtlhzs

I don't think there's any doubt about it. Since I've moved to the iPhone SE, I really notice the speed difference all around. I have kept my Idol 4s to play around with and keep it updated. I put the sim in it a couple weekends ago. It felt like a 5 year old phone. I didn't notice when it was my full time device, but I notice it now.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm not one to talk. I ordered an s6 edge+ for at&t used last week. I hate it but I need enhanced LTE/hd voice from at&t. And I'm tired of hacking the latest w10m phones to get it being at&t has zero windows phones available. I like this model of the galaxy series due to its size and screen type. It's about the size of the idol4s with a 5.7" screen.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
@libra89
Looks like Sammy is aiming to bring an S8 mini. 5.3" screen. Think you'll be interested?

That could be interesting, but I am more interested in an updated iPhone SE. I have given up on Android for the time being.

The sad part is I like the feel and UI so much better on my 950xl. <sigh>

I am with you on that, but like TgeekB, I have found that even the "lowly" SE is quicker and smoother with all the day to day stuff.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
That could be interesting, but I am more interested in an updated iPhone SE. I have given up on Android for the time being.

I am with you on that, but like TgeekB, I have found that even the "lowly" SE is quicker and smoother with all the day to day stuff.

I like iphones. But sadly they are not cheap. Plus if you invest in their ecosystem the hole in your pocket book becomes a very deep one. I was recently looking into casting technology and I can cheaply do it for around 40 dollars with W10M. Is there a way to do it on iphones without Apple TV? Or cheaper than 40? Anyway, even Android devices are not easily managed for what I need, but at least they do not try to suck you into their proprietary black hole...The OS is still slick and HW is top notch though ;-)

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Not cheap, but still comparable to high end W10M or Android devices.

As for casting, yes you can do it cheaply, oddly enough with a Chromecast. The app has to support it, but you will find most of the big ones do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss