Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Not cheap, but still comparable to high end W10M or Android devices.

As for casting, yes you can do it cheaply, oddly enough with a Chromecast. The app has to support it, but you will find most of the big ones do.
I still like continuum better so I bought a screen beam mini2.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: I kissed a Hippopotamus today.

Nice to see you again. 😊 I hope you like your new Honor.

Please let us know how it works for you. It looks like a nice device.
It's taken me a few days to start using it to see how it works out.

I had plans to carry both my Lumia 640 and my new Honor 5X for a while until I could get adjusted. That lasted all of about an hour. Replacing all the apps was easy (duh!) except for MyTube. Finding out you can't edit contacts with Outlook was NOT a good thing. I'm using Outlook as my contacts on the phone, and keep it synced with my laptop. I have to edit things on my laptop, though, and let them show up from there. I can make a new contact, but have to do it through the phone's contacts and not outlook. Outlook will sync it, but not all fields are available. Some of the fields I use I can't set up without the laptop.

LOVE the fingerprint sensor.

The only thing I'm still using my 640 for is for the morning alarm clock. I have nowhere to be, but my wife has to be at work at a specified time. The 640 has proven reliable over the years, and I always have to have a few days to test a new phone before I will declare it reliable. That means setting up 2 alarms at once, but I'll wait for the weekend to do that. I may be boxing up my 640 very, very soon. The 5" screen just seems so small after working with a higher resolution 5.5" screen all day.

OneDrive works great for uploading photos as I take them. MS Office apps are great. However, Groove music stinks on Android. It lacks so many features that I need, mainly being able to locate and play music from the SD card. I don't subscribe to the Groove Music service, and I don't stream my music from OneDrive. That seems to be all Groove is capable of on Android.

Still have some basic setup that needs to be done, but life has been busy, and it's hard to concentrate while taking care of a family, having two young children at home with me, taking pain meds for my freshly sprained knee, being in pain even with the meds, etc. Yes, I'm a 53 year old man that had a foot race with my 7 year old daughter. I went down and sprained my knee pretty badly. I won't be walking without assistance of a cane and a lot of pain for a while. On the bright side, it gives me slightly more down-time to figure out the phone, if I can forego the pain meds for the concentration power. ;)

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Re: I kissed a Hippopotamus today.

It's taken me a few days to start using it to see how it works out.

I had plans to carry both my Lumia 640 and my new Honor 5X for a while until I could get adjusted. That lasted all of about an hour. Replacing all the apps was easy (duh!) except for MyTube. Finding out you can't edit contacts with Outlook was NOT a good thing. I'm using Outlook as my contacts on the phone, and keep it synced with my laptop. I have to edit things on my laptop, though, and let them show up from there. I can make a new contact, but have to do it through the phone's contacts and not outlook. Outlook will sync it, but not all fields are available. Some of the fields I use I can't set up without the laptop.

LOVE the fingerprint sensor.

The only thing I'm still using my 640 for is for the morning alarm clock. I have nowhere to be, but my wife has to be at work at a specified time. The 640 has proven reliable over the years, and I always have to have a few days to test a new phone before I will declare it reliable. That means setting up 2 alarms at once, but I'll wait for the weekend to do that. I may be boxing up my 640 very, very soon. The 5" screen just seems so small after working with a higher resolution 5.5" screen all day.

OneDrive works great for uploading photos as I take them. MS Office apps are great. However, Groove music stinks on Android. It lacks so many features that I need, mainly being able to locate and play music from the SD card. I don't subscribe to the Groove Music service, and I don't stream my music from OneDrive. That seems to be all Groove is capable of on Android.

Still have some basic setup that needs to be done, but life has been busy, and it's hard to concentrate while taking care of a family, having two young children at home with me, taking pain meds for my freshly sprained knee, being in pain even with the meds, etc. Yes, I'm a 53 year old man that had a foot race with my 7 year old daughter. I went down and sprained my knee pretty badly. I won't be walking without assistance of a cane and a lot of pain for a while. On the bright side, it gives me slightly more down-time to figure out the phone, if I can forego the pain meds for the concentration power. ;)

I hope your pain subsides completely and you get well soon.

anon(9275303)

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Well, I am out. I actually switched over a month ago. Joined Windows Phone back in 2014 with the HTC One M8 and have also owned the 950XL, 550, and Alcatel Idol 4S since then. I've grown increasingly disillusioned with Microsoft's retreat from the consumer market, their discontinuation of a few services I particularly enjoyed, and the state of W10M. I had been debating about switching to Android, but had been holding off until one day in late May when I was taking pictures with my Idol 4S at a very important event for me. Something went wrong, and I permanently lost about 20 or so photos I had taken. They disappeared from the photos app and were not uploaded to OneDrive. That was my final breaking point. Went and bought the new Sony Xperia XZs phone (international variant with working fingerprint sensor). Took a little effort to customize the Xperia to my liking. Still using Microsoft services on Android and the Arrow launcher is awesome. I miss a few things about W10M and still prefer the Windows UI and even a few of the W10M apps, but I wanted something that I didn't feel like I had to battle with or compromise on as 90% or more of my computing time is using my phone as compared to my Surface 3 or desktop. I had the intention of switching back and forth between the Xperia and the Idol, but I have been so satisfied with the Xperia, I have not powered on the Idol 4S once since getting the Xperia. I still like Windows 10 and enjoy using it on the desktop or 2-in-1 and my Xbox, but I doubt I will ever return to Windows on a phone or mobile device as a consumer.

nikholaspappas

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So Far I really am liking the OnePlus 5. I was a Day 1 Lumia 920 buyer. Then went to the Icon, followed by the 950(Unlocked Dual Sim).

I just switched to the OnePlus 5. I needed an Unlocked Dual Sim phone as I frequently travel out of the country for business.

This phone is FAST. Like Really fast. I use the Finger print reader and literally the phone unlocks and is at my home screen faster than my 950 would even have the screen on. It is instant. Camera is also fast to come up, easy to use and has no noticeable shutter lag.

I use Groove Music Pass so Groove Music works great for me(I have not figured out how to set it to default yet...). The Outlook Mail Client is good, I just wish it had a dark them like it does on Windows. Onedrive is working well for all my back up needs

I am also using Cortana and the experience is fast and fluid.

The one thing missing is Microsoft Movies and TV. But I don't really ever watch shows on my phone so not such a burden for me.

I have had no issues with the hardware. LTE and Wifi connections are consistent and fast. The screen is beautiful with Dark blacks and good colors. The camera quality is good both front and back.

The Battery life is better than the last couple phones I have had. I sit at about 30% by the time I get to bed on a normal day. And the Dash Charging, While proprietary, is very fast.

I would recommend that anyone considering a switch to Android consider this phone.

L0rdG1gabyt3

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
So I finally HAD to switch away from WM10. When walking into the phone store, it physically hurt to tell the sales rep that I needed an Android phone. The only thing that prompted me to make the change was that my 950 suddenly would NOT get cellular data, and I require that for my job. I was ok with the random reboots, a battery that would only charge to 50%, and the VERY slow apps, but when the cellular data quit, and ATT tech support could not fix it, I had to make the tough choice. At least I ended up with a nice one. I picked a Samsung Galaxy S8+.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I like iphones. But sadly they are not cheap. Plus if you invest in their ecosystem the hole in your pocket book becomes a very deep one. I was recently looking into casting technology and I can cheaply do it for around 40 dollars with W10M. Is there a way to do it on iphones without Apple TV? Or cheaper than 40? Anyway, even Android devices are not easily managed for what I need, but at least they do not try to suck you into their proprietary black hole...The OS is still slick and HW is top notch though ;-)

True...it isn't cheap and if you stay in the ecosystem, it isn't cheap to upgrade either. For a lot of people, I am recommending the good, mid-range Motorola's since they are pretty good for mid-range and no contract or payment plan either.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Busy week as usual but it gave me time to properly assess the Pixel XL. With the right tweaks I'm able to crown it as the new daily driver. Sold the x3 but not because of any issues. It's without any doubt the best Windows phone I've used to date. If and when the platform makes the changes I need there will be no discussion which handset I get.

About the Pixel, very good camera. It can hang with a 950 all day. The footprint is what makes the difference between this and the Galaxy S8+. The battery life isn't on par with the x3 but not many phones are. It gets me through my long and busy days with plenty of juice to spare and that's all I ever ask from a phone. My PIM functions have been BlackBerry-fied so all my accounts and contacts are up and running with no drama which is what I like. The rest is just gravy and I'll get to it eventually.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Mine 950 XL works 2 days of full using. I think, it's not bad. Don't know what I have "to face" here.

The 950 XL has better battery life over the smaller one so your statement isn't really applicable. Getting 2 days out of the smaller one needs a battery pack or that idea lives in your (general you) dreams...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Busy week as usual but it gave me time to properly assess the Pixel XL. With the right tweaks I'm able to crown it as the new daily driver. Sold the x3 but not because of any issues. It's without any doubt the best Windows phone I've used to date. If and when the platform makes the changes I need there will be no discussion which handset I get.

About the Pixel, very good camera. It can hang with a 950 all day. The footprint is what makes the difference between this and the Galaxy S8+. The battery life isn't on par with the x3 but not many phones are. It gets me through my long and busy days with plenty of juice to spare and that's all I ever ask from a phone. My PIM functions have been BlackBerry-fied so all my accounts and contacts are up and running with no drama which is what I like. The rest is just gravy and I'll get to it eventually.
Nice! I'm glad to hear it. How does it feel to have T-Mobile features and that radio?

Your post kind of makes me miss the Pixel haha.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Nice! I'm glad to hear it. How does it feel to have T-Mobile features and that radio?

Your post kind of makes me miss the Pixel haha.
Very good reception actually. I have VoLTE but I don't think it has WiFi calling. At least I haven't looked for it since it's never been a necessity for me.

Moses D

May 31, 2016
Visit site
So i finally did the switch, after having so many WP-WM i just couldn't take it anymore.
Too many bugs and with the basic apps missing like eBay, Paypal etc i just gave up.
So i went out and bought a S8+, removed all the Samsung and google junk as much as possible all the way to the apps i cant remove and then installed all the Microsoft apps on it.
Works like a charm! not a bad phone actually, never liked Android or iOS but i can get used to Android than iOS.
Anyway i still love the windows Mobile platform it was such a good OS, i just wish Microsoft invested a little more time and caring in it. Im still planning on getting this Surface Phone if it does exist or does come out eventually :)

Last edited by a moderator:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Goodbye WM10

So i finally did the switch, after having so many WP-WM i just couldn't take it anymore.
Too many bugs and with the basic apps missing like eBay, Paypal etc i just gave up.
So i went out and bought a S8+, removed all the Samsung and google junk as much as possible all the way to the apps i cant remove and then installed all the Microsoft apps on it.
Works like a charm! not a bad phone actually, never liked Android or iOS but i can get used to Android than iOS.
Anyway i still love the windows Mobile platform it was such a good OS, i just wish Microsoft invested a little more time and caring in it. Im still planning on getting this Surface Phone if it does exist or does come out eventually :)

I non-purposely ended up with an s8+ too for at&t..(bit of a long/short story). I am not sure what to do with Microsoft. Maybe while holding on to the s8+ a beacon of light will shoot down to us this "surface mobile" device, and I can switch back. It is such a pain getting everything the way it is needed on android, like 12-24 hrs of pain...
However I do not see this phone's foot print as over powering thus far to me. The 950 xl had more width which causes one handed use issues for me. HP has even more...Even with a case on the s8+ it is not too bad for me. The height is a bit of an issue though, but not the worst for me. The screen is incredible on it. The camera snaps fast, but I am not camera buff...I like that it allows the popular features for the camera and even if it is not near the op/pixel/Huawei devices it fits the bill. Battery seems right up there to the ratings I have read about. BTW there is a package disabler for Samsung devices that you can look up called BK Disabler. It has worked wonders for my with Samsung phones.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site
The 950 XL has better battery life over the smaller one so your statement isn't really applicable. Getting 2 days out of the smaller one needs a battery pack or that idea lives in your (general you) dreams...

Yes, You're right... somehow I thought he's talking about 950 XL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb