Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikholaspappas

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine 950 XL works 2 days of full using. I think, it's not bad. Don't know what I have "to face" here.

A 950 is not the same as a 950 XL. The XL has always had better battery life So you don't have to face anything as we are talking about 2 different phones with different processors, screens, sizes and batteries. But thanks anyway

Sheamartin

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Jumping ship

I thought I could suck it up, but seeing things like CShell slowly starting to make it’s presence, and Microsoft’s absolute lack of a roadmap for mobile. I WANT Windows 10 Mobile. I want to KEEP loving it as much as I’ve loved it since my HTC Arrive and Windows Phone 7 back in 2010. But I can’t keep supporting a platform that seemingly has no direction (see the newest Fast Ring build…and for the most part, subsequent builds and even the Creators Update). With no hope of any kind of hardware until 2018, and Microsoft being tight-lipped as to their desired endstate with Mobile, I’m out. I’m done.

Like you Overboard, I have been hanging on making excuses for lack of updates for my MS Band, Rumors of new phones etc. Once I started to look at android again, I realized I could root the phone and change my Icons, I would have access to the latest in Smart/Fitness watches, my remote garage door app and bank app would work again, I could use a phone wallet. I'm sure there are things I will miss about my whole WP experience. But without anything to go on, I just feel like I should get back into the 21st century of technology with another platform. My concern is I have to configure whatever I do so my mother can use it. I'm sure I'll wait until my poor little Icon dies. I'll just enjoy what time we have left.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Re: Goodbye WM10

I non-purposely ended up with an s8+ too for at&t..(bit of a long/short story). I am not sure what to do with Microsoft. Maybe while holding on to the s8+ a beacon of light will shoot down to us this "surface mobile" device, and I can switch back. It is such a pain getting everything the way it is needed on android, like 12-24 hrs of pain...
However I do not see this phone's foot print as over powering thus far to me. The 950 xl had more width which causes one handed use issues for me. HP has even more...Even with a case on the s8+ it is not too bad for me. The height is a bit of an issue though, but not the worst for me. The screen is incredible on it. The camera snaps fast, but I am not camera buff...I like that it allows the popular features for the camera and even if it is not near the op/pixel/Huawei devices it fits the bill. Battery seems right up there to the ratings I have read about. BTW there is a package disabler for Samsung devices that you can look up called BK Disabler. It has worked wonders for my with Samsung phones.

I love one handed mode on my 950xl. Even iPhone uses the same idea but with a double tap on the home button instead of long press. I had the Galaxy s8 Plus like yourself when it 1st launched but I've just picked up a regular sized s8 and it's much more manageable in one hand than the Plus was (not that the Plus was unwieldy). I just found getting to the FPS on the back a real pain or getting to the upper left corner awkward. I still use one handed mode on my S8 regularly though but it's not as nice for me personally than the 950xl was. You either double tap the home button or swipe up from the bottom corners to shrink the screen to a smaller version of itself. It works fine but just not as natural I feel. I also miss my dedicated camera button so badly

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Re: Goodbye WM10

I love one handed mode on my 950xl. Even iPhone uses the same idea but with a double tap on the home button instead of long press. I had the Galaxy s8 Plus like yourself when it 1st launched but I've just picked up a regular sized s8 and it's much more manageable in one hand than the Plus was (not that the Plus was unwieldy). I just found getting to the FPS on the back a real pain or getting to the upper left corner awkward. I still use one handed mode on my S8 regularly though but it's not as nice for me personally than the 950xl was. You either double tap the home button or swipe up from the bottom corners to shrink the screen to a smaller version of itself. It works fine but just not as natural I feel. I also miss my dedicated camera button so badly

Yes, it is not natural the way Samung does it. Who even heard of triple tap??? Be nice if they have the option to long press along with triple tap.

I noticed that other things though also seem similar to what W10M offers but in the Samsung way of app useability and experience. Nice to see the OS/Tech giants feeding off each other in their own ways. Bixby is one obviously, but I wont go there on that, even though a day late and maybe a dollar short they have enough girth to get bixby off the ground...unfortunately :)
One thing is how the settings panel is one column of settings that scrolls up and down, they recently changed that right around the s7 time frame I think. APP and text scaling is a similar setting to W10M but has been around a while I guess. Color management is a great feature Samsung incorporated for their displays this time around. It has kinda been there before but they took it to another level this time around...This pays dividends for users. I really like that kind of control. There are a couple of other areas where you can just tell that these giants are on the right track with their users. Dex may not catch on quick like continuum has, where not everyone who buys an s8 uses it. Still a chip off the block though and its funny that Samsung waited till now to impliment USB C. Wonder if they would have done USB C still even if Dex never hit the scene...who knows. They had to really add in code and hw stability to do the desktop experience mode which is commitment. I personally have not used it, but that is a lot of investment and proves there is another alley to usability people need from their devices day to day...Landscape mode with keyboard usage is so much more natural on W10M then android in my opinion. I dislike all Android Keyboards honestly. I prefer the w10m virtual keyboard all day long. Even the swiftkey app is not the same...but I am biased towards W10M anyway so don't take my word on that.

Kot Prada

Nov 5, 2016
Visit site

Like you Overboard, I have been hanging on making excuses for lack of updates for my MS Band, Rumors of new phones etc. Once I started to look at android again, I realized I could root the phone and change my Icons, I would have access to the latest in Smart/Fitness watches, my remote garage door app and bank app would work again, I could use a phone wallet. I'm sure there are things I will miss about my whole WP experience. But without anything to go on, I just feel like I should get back into the 21st century of technology with another platform. My concern is I have to configure whatever I do so my mother can use it. I'm sure I'll wait until my poor little Icon dies. I'll just enjoy what time we have left.

Someone uses Smartwatches and fitness bracelets? :excited:

John Christopoulos

May 9, 2014
Visit site

Like you also, I have decided to keep my Lumia 1020, so happy with it and Windows mobile on release preview. Since Windows Phone 8.1 is future less, I think windows 10 mobile is the best way to use my hardware. A little slower, sluggish, buggy...
But I love my phone even if I cannot have an app for my running watch, or my daughter's cheep toy that even had an app for iOS and Android but not for WP. I will be looking for a Nokia phone with a huge camera sensor close to the quality of my 1020

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I will be looking for a Nokia phone with a huge camera sensor close to the quality of my 1020

They are partnering with Zeiss again.

Nokia 808 Pureview > Nokia Lumia 1020 > Nokia ???

If the pattern holds true they may try it again and have 41MP on Symbian, Windows Phone and (?coming soon?) Android.

I have a 1020 for use just as a camera and have never used it as a phone actually. It's a newer acquisition. I had a 1520 as a phone, decided to dedicate that for camera and picked up a 1020 as well. For obvious reasons the 1020 won and I passed the 1520 along. For less obvious reasons I could afford to pass the 1520 along, namely processing and shot to shot times. I don't really take action shots. My preferences are composed shots and especially sunrise/sunset, landscapes and landmarks with a strong interest in artistic composition to highlight more mundane objects. Not much for portraits and the like.

Having had my 1520 on both 8.1 and W10M, I couldn't see a need to ever put the 1020 on W10M. Your camera experience must have seemed glacial in terms of speed at times.

Is there any camera advantage I might be overlooking with W10M? Or did you go there just to stay current for phone and app use?

BTW, you may want to look in here. https://forums.windowscentral.com/g...ty-1five2oh-1oh2oh-nine3oh-1c0n-eight3oh.html I do wish some others would join in and share their experiences.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

They are partnering with Zeiss again.

Nokia 808 Pureview > Nokia Lumia 1020 > Nokia ???

If the pattern holds true they may try it again and have 41MP on Symbian, Windows Phone and (?coming soon?) Android.
The Android with Zeiss is already confirmed. Dual sensors 13mp

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
ill think ill give Microsoft till the end of the year to say something, or show something. then ill probably switch if nothing happens with windows phone.

I will switch probably next month. Then end right back on a W10M device. No matter how hard I try to make it work on Android or iOS I can't. At some point I need to surrender though and make my life less cumbersome.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@RumoredNow
Why would that pattern hold true on the largely camera-centric mobile device? Now on their Android kick, when do you suspect that might happen?

They did it twice, why not a third time? They like bragging about most MP and Android would give them a chance at:
  1. Recapturing some wandering fans
  2. Capturing some new fans
  3. Selling way more units of "ultimate camera phone" than both of the last two incarnations combined
  4. Making a big PR splash

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I will switch probably next month. Then end right back on a W10M device. No matter how hard I try to make it work on Android or iOS I can't. At some point I need to surrender though and make my life less cumbersome.

That is what I did as well. I always came back to W10M (not really an option anymore, now that I am on Sprint). I still prefer it, but I realized that the phone and OS need to be tool and not a hindrance to what you are trying to do. Sadly, I felt that I was putting too much time and effort into finding ways to make W10M work best for me. For now I am using iOS, and even though in the past I have tried it and switched back to W10M, I will be using it for the forseeable future. I will definitely reconsider if/when the next iteration of Windows Phone is released (hopefully with some nice hardware). I do still use and love my Surface Pro, and to that end it is nice that Microsoft is trying to make Windows 10 work with all mobile OS.

There are lots of good options available now, and more and more coming out every month. I have finally picked a device, and will stick with it for a while, but the chronic switcher in me is always tempted by the shiny new things. For me the only devices I will consider are first party hardware so at least that limits my interests to iPhones, Pixels, or whatever Microsoft comes up with.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You sound like Pacino in The Godfather 3. Every time I try to get out, they drag me back in.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I've been on an endless cycle between the 3 of them for the past 7 or 8 years. I wish I could just pick the best parts I like from each one and create a phone also made up from the best features of phones I like to run it on. Can't see that happening anytime soon though...sigh

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I've been on an endless cycle between the 3 of them for the past 7 or 8 years. I wish I could just pick the best parts I like from each one and create a phone also made up from the best features of phones I like to run it on. Can't see that happening anytime soon though...sigh

Yep! I'd die to have a Frankenphone device!

Edit: Figuratively speaking of course..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb