Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenixxdee

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Freak[ing]?

Years after Windows Phone and being part of the less than 1%. I just realized, I've never reconsidered another kind of OS as my daily drive. I'd rather... wait for whatever phone Microsoft makes. pheew! Any compromise since day 1? Lets discuss.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Whoa, I realize that I haven't posted here in a while. I do have an update.

The SE is still one of my favorite phones. My only personal gripe with it is with the front camera. I knew that going into it but coming from an Honor 8 and a Google Pixel (and then going back to the SE) has totally changed how I see that camera. It's hard to go back to dealing with that. I figured that I would just hang with it until it's refreshed. The rumors are too inconsistent about it being refreshed though.

I wanted to try my only small phone option left that is hard to get, like really hard. There was only one seller selling the right one (i.e. the one with US LTE bands) on eBay and once they were out of stock, that was it. I talked myself in and out of trying it for months now. Then just one Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 appeared on Amazon...so I took a leap before I lose the chance forever (since it's rare). I have had it for nearly 4 days now and I'm obsessed.

I haven't had a single gripe. That's enough for me to say that I have already ordered accessories, which is not something that I do since I change my mind SO much.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

The SE is still one of my favorite phones. My only personal gripe with it is with the front camera. I knew that going into it but coming from an Honor 8 and a Google Pixel (and then going back to the SE) has totally changed how I see that camera. It's hard to go back to dealing with that. I figured that I would just hang with it until it's refreshed. The rumors are too inconsistent about it being refreshed though.

I wanted to try my only small phone option left that is hard to get, like really hard. There was only one seller selling the right one (i.e. the one with US LTE bands) on eBay and once they were out of stock, that was it. I talked myself in and out of trying it for months now. Then just one Samsung Galaxy A3 2017 appeared on Amazon...so I took a leap before I lose the chance forever (since it's rare). I have had it for nearly 4 days now and I'm obsessed.

I haven't had a single gripe. That's enough for me to say that I have already ordered accessories, which is not something that I do since I change my mind SO much.

Samsung has really uped the anty on their non-flagship phones in the past year. Even that one has ip68 protection and many other Sammy perks. Just that it's android....:/

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Samsung has really uped the anty on their non-flagship phones in the past year. Even that one has ip68 protection and many other Sammy perks. Just that it's android....:/
Yeah it makes for a tricky compromise. This is my first Sammy ever and I get why people like it. There's a lot of features. Funny that you mention the ip68 thing.

Even though the A3 is midrange, it is also water resistant. They did a heck of a job here. It makes me wish that I tried it eariler xd

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

Wow I didn't see that coming. I have never looked at that phone too much. Sounds interesting, but I am going to stick with iOS for now. I don't really care about the front facing camera too much, I barely ever use it, but it is something I hope the upgrade if/when they update the SE. Would be great to have the same camera as the 7.

I will have to look at the A3 more, just out of curiousity.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wow I didn't see that coming. I have never looked at that phone too much. Sounds interesting, but I am going to stick with iOS for now. I don't really care about the front facing camera too much, I barely ever use it, but it is something I hope the upgrade if/when they update the SE. Would be great to have the same camera as the 7.

I will have to look at the A3 more, just out of curiousity.

Haha, I can get why you say that. Since it is kind of rare to get the right version, I have tried to talk myself out of it for months now but a part of me wondered what if this phone is the right fit for me, based on what I heard and read about it. I figured that I should give it a chance.
I think that if I was like you (when it comes to the front camera), I might have passed on this. I agree about it being nice to have the same camera as the 7 too.

In case you are curious to know, the A3 is 0.11 shorter than the iPhone 7 and slightly narrower (0.03 in) than it so to me, it doesn't feel as big as the iPhone 7 felt to me. It also has slightly more screen too.
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...ne-7,Samsung-Galaxy-A3-2017/phones/9815,10330

iOS is good, but for me with how often I use the front camera (at least once a month), it was something to consider for me. The only downfall of the A3 to me is that it is on 6.0.1 (indifferent about it lol) and the 16gb of storage (with microsd storage though too). I feel okay about the 16gb though.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

Nice, enjoy! I've never heard of that phone before but it sounds like it offers a lot for the money. Android's midrange phones were always the ones I went after.
I did the Android thing and am pretty much done with them. Too fragmented, questionable security, and too much data mining. That's where I thing Apple beats them, along with support.

Let us know how it goes!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Nice, enjoy! I've never heard of that phone before but it sounds like it offers a lot for the money. Android's midrange phones were always the ones I went after.
I did the Android thing and am pretty much done with them. Too fragmented, questionable security, and too much data mining. That's where I thing Apple beats them, along with support.

Let us know how it goes!
Thank you! So far, I am. I'm loving the battery life.

I agree with you about the support point though. I will share an update when I have one!

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I do have a mini update.

So this A3 is pretty cool. The battery life is great, the size is great (not as excellent as the SE but still very nice and better than the other phones I have tried, aside from the X Compact, which is quite taller than the SE but still really small), cameras are nice and performance is good.

The only things concerning for me are 2 things. One is the storage. I said that 16gb was just okay, and I stand by that. It's something to think about, but I'm not sure it's a deal breaker (keep in mind that I have a 16gb iPhone SE as a point of context). The 16gb is really at the forefront of things because my sister made me join WhatsApp and it saves media to your phone. I wish that there was a way to just view media and have the option to save it, over having it take up space automatically.

The other thing is the signal strength. It seems like the radios in it are weak.
You would think that a glass backed phone will have better signal strength but not in this case. That bothers me a bit since I keep getting that I had a total time of being 5 minutes without a signal since the last charge. Weirdly enough, I haven't noticed a hit in battery life. In fact, I went to sleep with 100% and still woke up with it, which is nuts to me lol.

Aside from that, still enjoying this phone. One handed usage is really nice. I feel like I found a happy medium.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I do have a mini update.

So this A3 is pretty cool. The battery life is great, the size is great (not as excellent as the SE but still very nice and better than the other phones I have tried, aside from the X Compact, which is quite taller than the SE but still really small), cameras are nice and performance is good.

The only things concerning for me are 2 things. One is the storage. I said that 16gb was just okay, and I stand by that. It's something to think about, but I'm not sure it's a deal breaker (keep in mind that I have a 16gb iPhone SE as a point of context). The 16gb is really at the forefront of things because my sister made me join WhatsApp and it saves media to your phone. I wish that there was a way to just view media and have the option to save it, over having it take up space automatically.

The other thing is the signal strength. It seems like the radios in it are weak.
You would think that a glass backed phone will have better signal strength but not in this case. That bothers me a bit since I keep getting that I had a total time of being 5 minutes without a signal since the last charge. Weirdly enough, I haven't noticed a hit in battery life. In fact, I went to sleep with 100% and still woke up with it, which is nuts to me lol.

Aside from that, still enjoying this phone. One handed usage is really nice. I feel like I found a happy medium.
Glad you're enjoying your weekly phone.

Just so you know, Samsungs are notorious for weak radios.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Because they pack every sensor known to humankind on their SoCs at the same time.

No really, I'm not positive on that but it seems logical :).

It's antenna placement and managing/boosting the signal strength has everything to do with it. Good battery might explain the weak signal.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

So mean lol!

Hmm, I never knew that. This is my first one ever.

Because they pack every sensor known to humankind on their SoCs at the same time.

No really, I'm not positive on that but it seems logical :).

It's antenna placement and managing/boosting the signal strength has everything to do with it. Good battery might explain the weak signal.

Hmm, I never thought of that. According to the manual, the antenna is at the bottom. I'm surprised though, considering that usually weak signal means bad battery life.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So mean lol!

Hmm, I never knew that. This is my first one ever.

Hmm, I never thought of that. According to the manual, the antenna is at the bottom. I'm surprised though, considering that usually weak signal means bad battery life.
C'mon baby girl, you know I'm going to be on another phone myself in a week or a few days.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
C'mon baby girl, you know I'm going to be on another phone myself in a week or a few days.
I believe that for you but I'm straight out of options. There's nothing else for me to change to. I have tried every small phone option that makes sense.

I could see myself with this phone for a while, especially if I can get adoptable storage to work. Whatever Sony announces next month will be overpriced.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I believe that for you but I'm straight out of options. There's nothing else for me to change to. I have tried every small phone option that makes sense.

I could see myself with this phone for a while, especially if I can get adoptable storage to work. Whatever Sony announces next month will be overpriced.
The new 3310? Probably not an option though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)