Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
When they say it like that through a third hand source it makes me wonder if the concept itself won't come to fruition or the name itself is not what it will be called...

But wondering about this, how many do you think will be disappointed about it not being created? Are you? It probably could have targeted a lot of smaller hands that's for sure...or younger crowd?
Nope, not disappointed at all. I was indifferent actually. I'm not into the edge thing. I prefer the LG way with the flat screen.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The LG Q6 isn't really a small phone is it? It's just a smaller phone than the giants. Also looks to have a budget processor. That is why I will stay with the SE. It doesn't sacrifice performance for size. Hopefully the next small iPhone will do the same. I would love to see an S8 or Pixel mini though. That might actually tempt me back to Android.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The LG Q6 isn't really a small phone is it? It's just a smaller phone than the giants. Also looks to have a budget processor. That is why I will stay with the SE. It doesn't sacrifice performance for size. Hopefully the next small iPhone will do the same. I would love to see an S8 or Pixel mini though. That might actually tempt me back to Android.
A Pixel mini would be interesting. The S8 mini would need a standard display aspect ratio to be useful. The 2:1 is bad enough on the regular versions.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

The Q6 is actually shorter than the Pixel, so it's "small" in the time of big phones being the norm.

https://www.phonearena.com/phones/s...-7,LG-Q6,Google-Pixel/phones/9815,10596,10264

I agree about the specs though and also on your point about the SE.

John Christopoulos

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Re: Jumping ship

They are partnering with Zeiss again.

Is there any camera advantage I might be overlooking with W10M? Or did you go there just to stay current for phone and app use?

BTW, you may want to look in here. https://forums.windowscentral.com/g...ty-1five2oh-1oh2oh-nine3oh-1c0n-eight3oh.html I do wish some others would join in and share their experiences.

That partnership is a good starting point.
W10 Mobile does not give any advantage over 8.1 in terms of camera usage. But you can now see RAW files in photos app. Nothing new or exciting because there was no fw for the 1020s so it keeps getting this slow pace when launching the Lumia Camera app from standby mode. So my answer is that I tried tobe up to date. Yesterday I had this weird boot loop and had to WDRT. I am back to original 8.1.

Also, thanks for the suggestion. I will read now

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I had no choice.... sigh. Where I work, I needed to run their apps for testing (part of my job as a systems admin), so Windows Phone was bye bye... It was iOS or Android... I went Android and completely did away with google crap... well, kept google search but, even Firefox to replace Chrome...

I still love Windows phone.... but, after using Android for a few months and the choices of apps that were never available to me, it would be really hard to go back...

mc_razza

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Just an update to a post I made in this thread some months ago (last year, I think?).

I have officially decided to buy an Android device as a secondary phone and have settled on the Nokia 5. The Nokia 5 is essentially a Nokia 6-lite but 70 AUD cheaper at $329. It has the same specs as the Nokia 6 except it has a third less RAM, half the internal storage, 3 less MP in the rear camera, and 0.3 inch smaller HD display. That's a perfectly acceptable trade-off IMO. The design of the Nokia 5 is quite similar to the Nokia Lumia 720 as seen here with its pill shape and rounded corners, and I prefer that feel in the hand over the Nokia 6's flat chamfered edges.

Now I haven't actually purchased it yet but I have locked in my intention. I do not intend to switch camps from Windows on mobile to Android but I am dipping my foot into Android and broadening my horizon.

jh20001

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I finally broke down and bought an Android, letting Windows go after 15 years

The first Windows "phone" that I had ever bought, dates way back to Windows Mobile 2003. Coming from a Samsung N200, I fell in love with the phone and thought "this is going to go somewhere BIG!".

Years went by and competition began to rise and conquer the world of market share and compatibility. By then, I was running around with Windows Mobile 6.5 device (HTC Tilt 2) and still thought it was a great phone. However, I knew that certain alternatives were quicker and had really nice capacitive touch screens. Windows Mobile at this point was still laggy, buggy and mediocre in technology. I guess I was really trying to hold onto that physical keyboard that I could type on without even looking. However, the performance of the phone started to weigh and me, and app support was dropping like flies. In fact, the only reason I could get it to do half the stuff it did, was because I had unlocked the phone to download apps from 3rd party sources. Even this wasn't selling me anymore. I was on the verge of letting Windows go.

Then, Windows Phone was born from the ashes of Windows Mobile, and I smiled big. This is a positive step. At first, it didn't have hardly any app support, and the interface was a little too basic with a lack of oddly missing features (like MMS). However, I am a long-time Windows fan, so I kept faith. It flourished towards Windows Phone 8.1 and I had dumped the HTC phones (at this point I have been using phones like the HTC Surround) for the Nokia 920. This phone became the longest running phone I had ever kept use of. I held onto it for 4 years vs the average 1-1.5 years.

To this day, it is one of my favorites. I came across and second one for cheap as a backup even. I dropped the darn phone from such a height and my buddy accidently ran it over with his car (don't ask) and yet it STILL worked with no cracks. The most dependable phone I had ever had. The only drawback was apps. I constantly felt that empty pit inside from so many people telling me "oh...I'm sure, but we don't support Windows Phone. Our app (or device) works on iOS and Android only". Eventually, I bit the bullet and bought the Microsoft Lumia 950XL. Oh boy, this is a great phone. Not as durable (at least since for the first time, I had to pay a large price for a phone thanks to the suddenly WAY over-priced carriers along with the rest of corporate America, thus I wasn't feeling the need to challenge its durability). but the hardware was one of the best things to ever hit Windows Phone.

Fast forward to now. It's been 15 years of holding my Windows device high saying: "it may be beat out by all the others in support, but it at least was the first and MS will figure their stuff out eventually". However, now the doubt has overshadowed everything. 15 years of hope and lack of app support, for what? I still hear from most everyone that their stuff doesn't support Windows. The other two platforms have a VAST collection of smart watches and devices. Windows Phone has......Fitbit. Even the Microsoft Band was a complete disaster. A great ideal and good attempt for a first gen device....if it didn't fall apart 4-6 months later. The 2 came out and collapsed due to the same issues. At this point, I don't think MS has our back in the mobile world afterall. Some of the moves they keep making have been angering what little market share they have. The latest of which was dumping support for Windows 8/8.1 users. Well, if that is still 80% of Windows Phone users, then they just alienated 80% of the tiny market share they have left. Sounds like a gun to the head to me.

Finally, I ran into one more company who didn't support Windows and had no intention of ever supporting it because they felt it was a dying platform. That MS wasn't serious enough about promoting it. They simply release a phone and move on to other things. No major ad campaigns or anything else. The same day, I carpooled to lunch with a friend who was enjoying his SiriusXM via his non-Windows device..........I want to be able to listen to my SiriusXM again too. I haven't been able to do that since Windows Mobile 6.5. This thought clouded my head for the rest of the week.

I know have a Samsung Galaxy S8+. I still prefer the Windows Phone 10 interface. Android seems a little too busy with stuff going on at times (and so so many notifications to have to disable). However, I feel like I can breath for the first time in my mobile life. I want an app for something? There IS an app for something. I want a device to go with my phone? I can EASILY find a device that supports my phone. I want to remote access my box that has VNC running on it? I CAN access my device via my phone again..............I can listen to my SiriusXM.

It took 15 years to determine, Microsoft stinks at being aggressive when it comes to the mobile market. It seems the only way to get into the market for them is 1) write the darn apps themselves until companies begin to take the leash since the architecture would already be there, and 2) over-saturate the market with devices like Android did. They might as well stand outside the Apple store with a box of Windows Phone, offering a free upgrade to everyone to decides not to enter and switch sides instead. However, 2) could only be possible if they fixed the issues with 1). I just don't see it happening at this point (ever). Not until you can truly install a program (not app) onto a phone like you can a desktop computer. When Photoshop can be fully installed on your phone because it is running a true/full copy of Windows, I can see app publishers rushing back. Now take that and mesh it into the whole UWP approach when it comes to interface. At least hardware has reached the point where something like that is possible.

For now, I will enjoy my new Android, and the ability to do just about whatever the heck I want :cool:

augcor

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Same here ; had the Nokia 920 ; rugged as hell and spec wise , was comparable to its flagship peers then but app feature lag started taking its toll....at the beginning of 2017, most apps didn't even see any 2016 features :)

Last edited by a moderator:

PuckCowboy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: I finally broke down and bought an Android, letting Windows go after 15 years

The first Windows "phone" that I had ever bought, dates way back to Windows Mobile 2003. Coming from a Samsung N200, I fell in love with the phone and thought "this is going to go somewhere BIG!".

Years went by and competition began to rise and conquer the world of market share and compatibility. By then, I was running around with Windows Mobile 6.5 device (HTC Tilt 2) and still thought it was a great phone. However, I knew that certain alternatives were quicker and had really nice capacitive touch screens. Windows Mobile at this point was still laggy, buggy and mediocre in technology. I guess I was really trying to hold onto that physical keyboard that I could type on without even looking. However, the performance of the phone started to weigh and me, and app support was dropping like flies. In fact, the only reason I could get it to do half the stuff it did, was because I had unlocked the phone to download apps from 3rd party sources. Even this wasn't selling me anymore. I was on the verge of letting Windows go.

Then, Windows Phone was born from the ashes of Windows Mobile, and I smiled big. This is a positive step. At first, it didn't have hardly any app support, and the interface was a little too basic with a lack of oddly missing features (like MMS). However, I am a long-time Windows fan, so I kept faith. It flourished towards Windows Phone 8.1 and I had dumped the HTC phones (at this point I have been using phones like the HTC Surround) for the Nokia 920. This phone became the longest running phone I had ever kept use of. I held onto it for 4 years vs the average 1-1.5 years.

To this day, it is one of my favorites. I came across and second one for cheap as a backup even. I dropped the darn phone from such a height and my buddy accidently ran it over with his car (don't ask) and yet it STILL worked with no cracks. The most dependable phone I had ever had. The only drawback was apps. I constantly felt that empty pit inside from so many people telling me "oh...I'm sure, but we don't support Windows Phone. Our app (or device) works on iOS and Android only". Eventually, I bit the bullet and bought the Microsoft Lumia 950XL. Oh boy, this is a great phone. Not as durable (at least since for the first time, I had to pay a large price for a phone thanks to the suddenly WAY over-priced carriers along with the rest of corporate America, thus I wasn't feeling the need to challenge its durability). but the hardware was one of the best things to ever hit Windows Phone.

Fast forward to now. It's been 15 years of holding my Windows device high saying: "it may be beat out by all the others in support, but it at least was the first and MS will figure their stuff out eventually". However, now the doubt has overshadowed everything. 15 years of hope and lack of app support, for what? I still hear from most everyone that their stuff doesn't support Windows. The other two platforms have a VAST collection of smart watches and devices. Windows Phone has......Fitbit. Even the Microsoft Band was a complete disaster. A great ideal and good attempt for a first gen device....if it didn't fall apart 4-6 months later. The 2 came out and collapsed due to the same issues. At this point, I don't think MS has our back in the mobile world afterall. Some of the moves they keep making have been angering what little market share they have. The latest of which was dumping support for Windows 8/8.1 users. Well, if that is still 80% of Windows Phone users, then they just alienated 80% of the tiny market share they have left. Sounds like a gun to the head to me.

Finally, I ran into one more company who didn't support Windows and had no intention of ever supporting it because they felt it was a dying platform. That MS wasn't serious enough about promoting it. They simply release a phone and move on to other things. No major ad campaigns or anything else. The same day, I carpooled to lunch with a friend who was enjoying his SiriusXM via his non-Windows device..........I want to be able to listen to my SiriusXM again too. I haven't been able to do that since Windows Mobile 6.5. This thought clouded my head for the rest of the week.

I know have a Samsung Galaxy S8+. I still prefer the Windows Phone 10 interface. Android seems a little too busy with stuff going on at times (and so so many notifications to have to disable). However, I feel like I can breath for the first time in my mobile life. I want an app for something? There IS an app for something. I want a device to go with my phone? I can EASILY find a device that supports my phone. I want to remote access my box that has VNC running on it? I CAN access my device via my phone again..............I can listen to my SiriusXM.

It took 15 years to determine, Microsoft stinks at being aggressive when it comes to the mobile market. It seems the only way to get into the market for them is 1) write the darn apps themselves until companies begin to take the leash since the architecture would already be there, and 2) over-saturate the market with devices like Android did. They might as well stand outside the Apple store with a box of Windows Phone, offering a free upgrade to everyone to decides not to enter and switch sides instead. However, 2) could only be possible if they fixed the issues with 1). I just don't see it happening at this point (ever). Not until you can truly install a program (not app) onto a phone like you can a desktop computer. When Photoshop can be fully installed on your phone because it is running a true/full copy of Windows, I can see app publishers rushing back. Now take that and mesh it into the whole UWP approach when it comes to interface. At least hardware has reached the point where something like that is possible.

For now, I will enjoy my new Android, and the ability to do just about whatever the heck I want :cool:

Understand some of your arguments in your post, but just an FYI, there IS an app in the Windows Store for Windows Phone where you can listen to SiriusXM. It's called ListenXM and I've been using it the past few years. Heck, I just listened to it yesterday :)

I agree there is somewhat of an App Gap, but many of the things my Android and Apple compadres can do, so can I... especially with the Edge Browser which eliminates the need for some apps. But again, I do understand no everyone wants to take the time to look for and or devise a workaround... some of them clunkier than others.

Anyway, just a note you CAN listen to SiriusXM on Windows Phone, and have been doing so on WM10 for awhile now :)

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got a LG V20, here are my thoughts.
Android: coming from windows 10 mobile
Friday, July 28, 2017
9:27 AM

1. Speech typing is very good on both platforms, but Microsoft takes the cake because it adds question marks depending on the sentence spoken. On Android and IOS you lamely have to pronounce the punctuation, period. How you doing question mark?
  2. Widgets vs Live tiles: not a doubt here, widgets flat out suck. Live tiles make so much better use of space and present more information in the same area. Widgets on the other hand are just apps stuck in a small area and feel completely out of place when trying to fit in on the home screen. The widgets stick out like a bunch of circle in a between squares. Although they look out of place, they are more actionable, you can reload them or click inside them. Live tiles make use the full space much nicely and display information neatly. Win: Windows
  3. Internet: I want to say Edge has a good clean design but Microsoft could do so much more especially because they lack apps. E.G. pin to home is way better on Android (chrome), atleast it gets the Icon right and when you open a placed link, it doesn’t show the address bar. Speed is good on both. But chrome on the 820 really shines. Edge: Android by a lot.
  4. Apps: We all know how that goes. If windows 10 had app, it could quite possibly be the best platform. Android wins by a great margin, but not everything on android is perfect, yes the core apps are good, but there are plenty of stale apps in the store from 5 years ago.
  5. Bloatware: Windows 10 wins, some apps on android can't be deleted and to makes matters worse, there are two messaging apps, two gallery/photo apps etc. I don’t need that much selection, especially when it is hard
  6. Text selection and editing: in windows 10 text is usually selected by touching it, on android this is achieved through long hold. Sometime a double tap does it in both systems. I prefer just touching the text to select, it saves time, also Android you have to long hold to get the menu to show up, on windows, generally the menu pops up by itself. Its still a mixed bag on both system, I prefer the single touch to select by far. It makes editing text A LOT LESS painfull. I think in general, windows 10 does a good job of editing text and pasting. Long hold to paste in Android is a little slow. I typed this whole review on my phone. Win for Windows 10.
  7. Keyboard: I use a nonstandard keyboard, swiftkey, but if I was to compare android keyboards, I think the Win10 wins because of the speed, predictiveness and JOYSTICK.
  8. Maps: google maps are good, features but also because it is invasive. But I am willing to forgo location without identification in this case for the greater good. Google maps win.
  9. Photos: Android doesn’t have LIVE photos. Lumia wins.
  10. Fluidity: This is a tough one. Android has a slightly different approach to scrolling, which is dual purpose, slow and really fast. Win 10 scrolls faster and smoother at "Slow speed" aka when flicking. I don’t know which I like more, but Win 10 feels really smooth. Also Android hiding menu's really distract from the scrolling experience. But on flicking, Android approach is maybe a little like "press the gas and apply brake" but is it more practical? Possibly. The back button flow on Windows 10 is an improvement on Android. If you are in an app and hit the home button, and you want to go back, you can hit the back button on Windows and it will let you go backwards through your whole history. On Android the back Key does nothing, unless in an app. Only way to get back to an app is two touch solution to touch the multitasking button. This results in 200% more touching on Android. Win 10 achieves back and multitasking with one button. Win 10 wins here.
  11. Little things: android gives you a way to see blue tooth signal level. Trusted Bluetooth devices is nice. Win for Android.
  12. Notifications: android notification are a pull down frenzy or double tap on lock screen and scan finger print, there are no indications on the home screen if you have pending items. Windows has slide down notifications and only reminders on the lock screen of five things you have chosen and reminders on the live tiles. This does seem slightly inferior but pretty practical as reading the notifications on the lock screen is hardly practical because you can't dismiss then and a privacy problem. As a minimalist, I like windows 10 if they didn't limit you to five items on the lock screen. I find that having notifications on the lock screen is not useful because the flow to act on them is not convenient, so I call this cancel 5 reminder limit on win 10. I find the Android slide down notifications cumbersome, slide, touch, slide, touch, slide. Too much touching? Overall it's a draw on the notifications.
  13. Privacy: I don’t know what Microsoft knows about me. But when google tells me where I been, "your visit to 7-eleven." That **** is scary. I don’t need for google to my digital involuntary tracker. Then the Assistant tells me it will look at EVERYTHING. Lets just say, win 10 data collection is just us crying compared to Google. And now they want to buy my credit card purchase info to incorporate into my profile. NO M#$%*&*# Thanks. No one win, draw
  14. Split Screen: Android win just because it's there. But that doesn’t make it useful. I have only found one useful scenario, you are watch a video and you get a text. But you could just reply for the pull down frenzy menu. You can't look at an email and compose another one. You can barely see a contact in one windows and type it in another window. With this said, a better Continuum experience without "docks" and C shell can really be a win for M$. USB-C to HDMI with power from the monitor.

Last word: Android is a lot about choosing the right hardware Company that makes the phone, because manufacturer add their own features such as double tap to wake etc. I have an LG and they seem to be doing a good job. Only thing missing is Live photos. With Microsoft having competing service for everything google, taking a good selling Android phone and laying down everything Microsoft is totally do-able but I think Windows 10 adds something special to Android. Both OS are good, one just has all the apps.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Last word: Android is a lot about choosing the right hardware Company that makes the phone, because manufacturer add their own features such as double tap to wake etc. I have an LG and they seem to be doing a good job. Only thing missing is Live photos. With Microsoft having competing service for everything google, taking a good selling Android phone and laying down everything Microsoft is totally do-able but I think Windows 10 adds something special to Android. Both OS are good, one just has all the apps.
That app dilemma is the stop gap. Makes me wonder how much longer the remaining W10 Mobile or whats left of WP8 users can stick around. Folks are leaving faster than apps are created...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I feel completely lucky. Every time I tried to look for an app except an app like the Glance Screen I found something. My bank never had an app in the store or one that I could use, now they do (BofA) and it is a well built UWP app too. Hands down W10M handles email like a pro and iOS and Android may never come close. Messaging is so simple on W10M and iOS but Andorid (like you said above) will give you an experience based on the Makers own features. Anyway, I am still on W10M though it is easy for me on the app aspect, yet like I said I want to keep going until the wheels fall off either way.

Last edited:

N1cks

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Widgets vs Live tiles: not a doubt here, widgets flat out suck. Live tiles make so much better use of space and present more information in the same area. Widgets on the other hand are just apps stuck in a small area and feel completely out of place when trying to fit in on the home screen. The widgets stick out like a bunch of circle in a between squares. Although they look out of place, they are more actionable, you can reload them or click inside them. Live tiles make use the full space much nicely and display information neatly. Win: Windows

Yep, agreed. While Android widgets are functional, they aren't aesthetically pleasing.

Live Tiles had so much unrecognized potential.

iOS & Samsung have Today View & Bixby - which kinda provide summary information like Live Tiles.

Internet: I want to say Edge has a good clean design but Microsoft could do so much more especially because they lack apps. E.G. pin to home is way better on Android (chrome), atleast it gets the Icon right and when you open a placed link, it doesn’t show the address bar. Speed is good on both. But chrome on the 820 really shines. Edge: Android by a lot.

Here here. Microsoft could've gone a long way to addressing the app gap if their mobile browser was a home run. After the W10m creators update, Edge actually went backwards (I've had lots of site rendering problems). Plus, it's more prone to freezing.

Apps:..... but there are plenty of stale apps in the store from 5 years ago.

^ this is a big one. The App Store on iOS is filled apps built for iOS 8 (or older) and I couldn't see how to order results on 'most recent'.
Ironically, the Windows Store is easier to use. You can easily see app ratings.

Most people only interact with a handful of apps: social media, banking, maps & phone apps such messaging/contacts/email/browser.
Social media and banking apps is while Windows mobile really fell down.

CronGM

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I switched to the Galaxy S8+ a couple of months ago and I'm very happy with it. Samsung's version of Android still isn't as clean as, say, bare-bones Android, but it's actually quite good.

I hesitated to switch from my Lumia 950 XL because of the camera, but I have to say I'm impressed with the quality of the camera in the S8, even if the megapixel count is much less than in the Lumia. I still have a Lumia 1020 for far-range photography though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans