Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
I'm kinda hooked on the 1520 lately. I had an s8+ which to me the only thing most impressive about it was the screen. Well I traded that too for a pixel xl which being a Google's first was impressive. So I had that for about 3 days and then sold it. Took that money and invested in another Elite X3 since I had traded off my last one too. Just something about the X3 that makes me keep one around. Plus it's the only OEM phone I can get the notification LED to work on, which is cool However I think I'm going to camp out on the 1520 or at least ill try to. So for now the only Android device I own is a bricked moto z play which I'm eyeing a thread on xda that might have a fix for the dreaded bricking. It's caused by rolling back the os from nougat and then taking the OTA update back to nougat.

Edit: I'll add that larger phones I've found in the past I steered away from, but I've learned to appreciate them a bit more plus two top tier Windows 10 Mobile phablets (the classic 1520 and Elite X3) have some intriguing specs and features no other phones have. Parts are so cheap and available for the 1520 that I could easily keep using one of these into 2018 assuming Microsoft comes around with newer Mobile hw by then. I'm a late comer to the 1520 but it does really well on the latest build made for it. One of the last great Windows Nokia phones made.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm kinda hooked on the 1520 lately. I had an s8+ which to me the only thing most impressive about it was the screen. Well I traded that too for a pixel xl which being a Google's first was impressive. So I had that for about 3 days and then sold it. Took that money and invested in another Elite X3 since I had traded off my last one too. Just something about the X3 that makes me keep one around. Plus it's the only OEM phone I can get the notification LED to work on, which is cool However I think I'm going to camp out on the 1520 or at least ill try to. So for now the only Android device I own is a bricked moto z play which I'm eyeing a thread on xda that might have a fix for the dreaded bricking. It's caused by rolling back the os from nougat and then taking the OTA update back to nougat.

You are one of a kind. You're probably one of the few who has ever had a pixel xl and then sold it to get a X3, haha. I hope that you will enjoy your 1520.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
You are one of a kind. You're probably one of the few who has ever had a pixel xl and then sold it to get a X3, haha. I hope that you will enjoy your 1520.
I actually have 3 1520s. All were fairly cheap around 50 bucks or less. 2 worked flawlessly. The white one has touch issues so I'll look into that later. One of the other two black models was practically new from at&t only used for like a couple months but had a crack by the search button. So Cortana would launch randomly. So I replaced the lcd on it and it works great and using it now. I honestly have enjoyed using these windows phones over the past several years just to learn more and more about how they operate. Since I want to develop a program in the future (hoping anyway), I've tried learning as much about each device I've owned trying to see what capabilities each has, but also seeing what similarities they all share at the OS level. Basically as much as I can learn about the basics of the platform as possible.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You know I'm only kidding. It's fun and equally exasperating to find that "perfect" phone.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 via mTalk
Haha, I should have known.

That is very true, it is. I'm still really liking the Galaxy A3 that I have but the rumors of the SE 2 are hot for an early event next year. I'll probably gladly switch to that but it probably isn't going to have a headphone jack so I will have a choice to make.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
You know I'm only kidding. It's fun and equally exasperating to find that "perfect" phone.

Sent from my Lumia 1520 via mTalk

It's like hunting for the holy grail.
I had a lot of fun trying every OS and multiple different phones. I finally grew weary of it and settled on one, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it like a hobby.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
It's like hunting for the holy grail.
I had a lot of fun trying every OS and multiple different phones. I finally grew weary of it and settled on one, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it like a hobby.
Quitter!!!

I'm not content myself so you know I'm kidding.

Sent from my Acer Liquid Jade Primo on mTalk

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Haha, I should have known.

That is very true, it is. I'm still really liking the Galaxy A3 that I have but the rumors of the SE 2 are hot for an early event next year. I'll probably gladly switch to that but it probably isn't going to have a headphone jack so I will have a choice to make.

You know I will be all in on the SE 2. I have been using bluetooth headphones for a few years, and would have no problem with the lack of a headphone jack. I can wait until next spring, but it will be the longest I have had a phone in a long long time. If they only update it every 2 years it would help me with my phone ADD issues.

I also wanted to add that I agree with you on missing the song ID thing. I liked being able to get it directly from Cortana, and not have to talk to my phone, or use another app.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
You know I will be all in on the SE 2. I have been using bluetooth headphones for a few years, and would have no problem with the lack of a headphone jack. I can wait until next spring, but it will be the longest I have had a phone in a long long time. If they only update it every 2 years it would help me with my phone ADD issues.

I also wanted to add that I agree with you on missing the song ID thing. I liked being able to get it directly from Cortana, and not have to talk to my phone, or use another app.

Yep, I know! Hopefully it will be totally worth it for us. I have never had a phone long-term without a headphone jack. Haha I can totally understand that and relate.

I don't mind hanging on to this Galaxy A3 until then and that will feel long for me too LOL. To use a phone straight from July to January, I can't remember the last time I have done that. I say that I'll have a decision to make but let's be honest, I'll be refreshing the in stock thing every hour. This fits most of my lady pockets but the SE still wins.

Seriously the song ID is awesome.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Found a workaround to not really use Google Assistant. Just install Cortana and set as default assistant. Additionally, I added the Google Sound Search Widget to my home screen for song ID. Generally Cortana is workable on Android but to be fair, I don't ask for much from it so I'm probably the exception. It's workable.

On a related note, I'm trying out Amazon Music unlimited for a free trial even though there's no Windows app. Not sure who I am anymore since I am (was?) totally against using apps that aren't on all three. It's not bad but a part of me is glad that I will not continue with it, and just stick with Spotify. 2 dollars cheaper isn't worth the holes for me. At least, it's not as bad as Groove but one of my favorite albums don't even exist there.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
X0LARIUM, A lot of what you said is exactly how I feel. It's what a lot of us have experienced.

I've been in the Apple ecosystem for around 2 years now. I have multiple times said, I'm so glad I switched. My wife misses some of the attributes her 1520 I got her had, but she's still very happy we moved on to the iPhone 6s+

I don't miss my 1520 anymore. I kept it for over a year after I stopped using it. I almost bought the 950XL, but I was trying to keep in mind what I've learned by way of experience the few years I was purely MS Mobile. Windows 8 & 10 on my 920 & my 1520.

I feel I got burned, badly. When I started seeing MS apps looking and working better on the iPhone...It's like man, are they really trying to promote another ecosystem & destroy their own? I had such hope. Do Apple products cost more...Oh yes! Do I feel like it's worth the expense I paid...yes. Because of the ecosystem & more! Including reliability. Even Apple's reliability is much better.

I use my iOS devices for productivity ALL of the time now, part of what has made me so productive on my iOS devices is by the apps MS has made for Apple devices. Thanks Microsoft!!

Kind of an odd thing to thank them for...But come on...Microsoft makes some great apps for the iPhone!

Thanks. Much appreciated. I am sure lot of people feel the same, but just scared (of something, I don't know what) to openly admitting it. My worry is, I barely use apps even on Android. Except may be a few games.

It is more about using the device for, and that varies from person to person. Like I don't blame my friends who use Snapchat more than their brains (LOL). But for someone like me, I have never felt the need for a million apps.

I do however wish for the basic apps like a WhatsApp and a Ebook app to function normally. These days, even that's too much to ask from MS.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

Edit: I'll add that larger phones I've found in the past I steered away from, but I've learned to appreciate them a bit more plus two top tier Windows 10 Mobile phablets (the classic 1520 and Elite X3) have some intriguing specs and features no other phones have. Parts are so cheap and available for the 1520 that I could easily keep using one of these into 2018 assuming Microsoft comes around with newer Mobile hw by then. I'm a late comer to the 1520 but it does really well on the latest build made for it. One of the last great Windows Nokia phones made.

I unbricked my Moto Z play the other night. Folks found a fix for it this past weekend on XDA. So I am not android-less anymore...until I sell or trade it I suppose...:)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I feel like I jinxed myself. I have experienced multiple app crashes, along with the "unfortunately (insert app name here) has stopped working" since I last posted here about the A3.

Not a fan of that. I get that apps can be weird on both Android and iOS but I hate the whole message in general. I can't say that this is an Android thing because this didn't happen with the Pixel or Honor 8. As for what to do, I think I'll just keep an eye on this.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo