Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
That does look nice. I love the orange. Wonder what the pricing will be. I'm expecting $550-600 at least.
It's a pretty enticing device. Good looks, pure Android, micro SD card, glance, a 3.5mm headphone jack, USB-C. And possibly good cameras. I'm most looking forward to the camera reviews. Well that and hopefully a US release at some point.

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
The only thing the Nokia 8 is missing is the qi wireless charging. I have a bunch of them from my Lumias and I'd hate to lose that feature, but the w10m is trickling down and i have to think fast...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The only thing the Nokia 8 is missing is the qi wireless charging. I have a bunch of them from my Lumias and I'd hate to lose that feature, but the w10m is trickling down and i have to think fast...
W10M still has into 2018 though. So not so soon....honestly until Microsoft states it I'm banking on W10M to at least the end of 2018 for the current device lineup.

taffyphil

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Switched to a Nokia 6 just over a week ago.

I delayed upgrading my Lumia 735 for over two months and eventually gave in.

Been a pretty painful transition so far...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Switched to a Nokia 6 just over a week ago.

I delayed upgrading my Lumia 735 for over two months and eventually gave in.

Been a pretty painful transition so far...

I use Android every once in a while to see how certain apps are doing/updating.

I never get use to using it. I do not know why it takes me almost two extra steps to do anything on Android. It seems the more they add into it the more crowded it gets. Samsung's are bad at this imo...or good at it?? :)

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I use Android every once in a while to see how certain apps are doing/updating.

I never get use to using it. I do not know why it takes me almost two extra steps to do anything on Android. It seems the more they add into it the more crowded it gets. Samsung's are bad at this imo...or good at it?? :)
There's a reason many of us endure the torture of Windows and keep coming back.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
There's a reason many of us endure the torture of Windows and keep coming back.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Yup. Like we always say, the platforms are all a bit different. If you like all the customization and things Android can do, you have to be able to put up with the busyness also.

robw70

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
It is with a heavy heart that I ditch my Lumia 950 and switch to iPhone. I love the Windows phone OS and UI but my recent holiday has just highlighted how clunky and lacking it is despite a recent factory reset. I could live without apps if Edge was up to it, but it just isn't. All the apps I do use take an age to open, as does the camera. The current Facebook app needs at least 2 attempts to open it every single time. I am tired of looking at the "Resuming" screen and of the sporadic Bluetooth connection. With the end of development for WP10 I feel it is just going to get worse so am biting the bullet now while I have free access to an unwanted iPhone. Such a shame, but there you go. Like them or not, iPhones just work and that's what I need - a phone that works.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I just gave up W10m last year... the platform was going nowhere and now it seems a lot worse. I have a Galaxy S7 edge and works great i have all the apps i want and need since i couldn't find any usable app for photography in W10m... i tried to like MS mobile system since 2010, but patience have a limit.

Also i don't use anymore MS apps and services like Outlook, Onedrive, Skype and others, i was the only one using those services among my family, friends and co workers so no point using MS apps anymore. It's sad, but i don't think MS will reboot their failed mobile OS anymore, too many failures to count.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Maybe you are right there. Then maybe you're not. "Mobile OS" is only the begining of a new erra in technology evolution. In the long term it really does not matter if Microsoft creates the slickest all glass device running some kind of Hybrid NT/Linux/Mobile Kernel OS and all the bells and whistles with the ability to clean your house. The Mobile "Bar" phone to me has no where to go. It is almost a fashion statement to some or a toy instead of tool. Since ushering in a new erra of technology is soon to happen, it only makes sense for the smaller companies to build up their company and stamina to grow to be the next on top. Kinda weird how business and economics dictate a lot of or most of the World.

I keep sticking with the W10M devices due to my interest in the OS itself, functionality learning about it and do not expect anyone to have the same view. I use linux and solaris all day every week I work. So I am not unfamilar with how Linux works which is Android in a nutshell. Which leads me to find Android too easy to learn and penetrate. Which makes it too easy for me to break their devices too ;). So I guess I am also drawn to the security Microsoft offers....

But if we look at what the makers are going to be offering in the Mobile industry in the next couple years it is all the same stuff and the same OS, with different hardware sandwiched in them. Plus they are too dang expensive nowadays, geesh. I tend to like the experience of handling differnet handsets, but have resorted to keeping my eyes on 1 to 2 yr old devices to help save a few bucks...

I still think Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile (if you use and work with their services) can be the most productive mobile device. I think that is the main thing I cling to, since I am in and out of dozens of emails, pictures, documents, messages, voicemalis, etc. every day. Sure iOS and Android do all that too, but for some reason I have the ability to do all those easier and most of the time faster on a W10M device.

For each person there is a limit or need that Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile cannot get you but what is cool is that you can keep doing what you like to do and feel good with it.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you are right there. Then maybe you're not. "Mobile OS" is only the begining of a new erra in technology evolution. In the long term it really does not matter if Microsoft creates the slickest all glass device running some kind of Hybrid NT/Linux/Mobile Kernel OS and all the bells and whistles with the ability to clean your house. The Mobile "Bar" phone to me has no where to go. It is almost a fashion statement to some or a toy instead of tool. Since ushering in a new erra of technology is soon to happen, it only makes sense for the smaller companies to build up their company and stamina to grow to be the next on top. Kinda weird how business and economics dictate a lot of or most of the World.

I keep sticking with the W10M devices due to my interest in the OS itself, functionality learning about it and do not expect anyone to have the same view. I use linux and solaris all day every week I work. So I am not unfamilar with how Linux works which is Android in a nutshell. Which leads me to find Android too easy to learn and penetrate. Which makes it too easy for me to break their devices too ;). So I guess I am also drawn to the security Microsoft offers....

But if we look at what the makers are going to be offering in the Mobile industry in the next couple years it is all the same stuff and the same OS, with different hardware sandwiched in them. Plus they are too dang expensive nowadays, geesh. I tend to like the experience of handling differnet handsets, but have resorted to keeping my eyes on 1 to 2 yr old devices to help save a few bucks...

I still think Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile (if you use and work with their services) can be the most productive mobile device. I think that is the main thing I cling to, since I am in and out of dozens of emails, pictures, documents, messages, voicemalis, etc. every day. Sure iOS and Android do all that too, but for some reason I have the ability to do all those easier and most of the time faster on a W10M device.

For each person there is a limit or need that Microsoft Windows 10 Mobile cannot get you but what is cool is that you can keep doing what you like to do and feel good with it.

I think you may have finally put down in words what some of us feel. I don't think Windows for mobile is cool or has any cool factor, but cool don't get me paid.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Found a workaround to not really use Google Assistant. Just install Cortana and set as default assistant. Additionally, I added the Google Sound Search Widget to my home screen for song ID. Generally Cortana is workable on Android but to be fair, I don't ask for much from it so I'm probably the exception. It's workable.

I did the same thing.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I think you may have finally put down in words what some of us feel. I don't think Windows for mobile is cool or has any cool factor, but cool don't get me paid.

True, but I think that's the same for other platform also.
At our hospital we use iPhones but not because they're cool but because they work for us.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
True, but I think that's the same for other platform also.
At our hospital we use iPhones but not because they're cool but because they work for us.
I don't doubt that at all. Except this isn't iMore and most of us don't bash iOS or Android users for their choice of ecosystem. In general, Windows users have to justify their choice because of the constant "why are you on a dead OS? There's no apps, there's no new phones." Blah, blah and more blah.

There's this pervasive attitude of "If you love this, then you must hate that". It's in politics - if you're not a conservative then you must be a liberal. In sports - if you love Durant then you must hate Westbrook....and so forth. We need to get over this sh*t. I like iOS but I like Windows 10 Mobile more. I prefer BlackBerry OS10 even more than Windows but it's too impractical at this point. I haven't mentioned Android but it doesn't mean I hate it. There's a whole f*****g spectrum of colors out there, not just black and white.

I didn't mean to tear into you since you're one of the more level-headed people on this forum but I needed to put it out there and you're today's unlucky messenger. Get medical attention for those gunshot wounds. :)

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
I don't doubt that at all. Except this isn't iMore and most of us don't bash iOS or Android users for their choice of ecosystem. In general, Windows users have to justify their choice because of the constant "why are you on a dead OS? There's no apps, there's no new phones." Blah, blah and more blah.

There's this pervasive attitude of "If you love this, then you must hate that". It's in politics - if you're not a conservative then you must be a liberal. In sports - if you love Durant then you must hate Westbrook....and so forth. We need to get over this sh*t. I like iOS but I like Windows 10 Mobile more. I prefer BlackBerry OS10 even more than Windows but it's too impractical at this point. I haven't mentioned Android but it doesn't mean I hate it. There's a whole f*****g spectrum of colors out there, not just black and white.

I didn't mean to tear into you since you're one of the more level-headed people on this forum but I needed to put it out there and you're today's unlucky messenger. Get medical attention for those gunshot wounds. :)

Haha! I love it. Don't worry, I'm an RN with critical care experience. I'll just tie off my arm with a belt and keep working!

I totally get what you're saying. No one has to justify their choice of ecosystem, it's just fun conversation on the internet. If you didn't enjoy it to some degree, you wouldn't be here.

The tough part is you just have chosen an ecosystem that has few remaining users so you feel the wrath more. Remember, I was there too. I just got tired of the obstacles but that doesn't mean others have to. Choice is good and as long as Windows mobile still functions for you, have at it!

Now back to the entertaining conversation. Hey, the bleeding is slowing down already! 🤣

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Ya, it is funny when you meet someone out in your day to day that is on Windows 10 Mobile too. It is like you won the lottery or something...Probably why most of us are on this forum putting Band-Aids on each other. Since we all have somewhat something of common, even if we use other types of hardware or OSs...what difference is it really anyway. At work there are more than several iOS users, handful of Android users, and then there is me and one other guy who have Windows 10 mobile...yet we all work together and laugh at what each others device can cannot do. :)

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Switched from an Idol 4s to a OnePlus5 on Monday.

Man, the performance difference is ridiculous from just basic navigation , multi tasking, opening apps etc. The finger print scanner is the fastest I have seen on any phone. Totally happy with my switch and probably will not be coming back to Windows phone short of a miracle.

I actually wanted to switch sooner but I've been using a money management app on Windows for the past four years and all my data is there. It was the only thing keeping me tied to windows mobile.

I explained to the dev that I was switching and luckily for me, he said that he too will soon be getting an android phone and will let me know when the android beta is available.

In the mean time, I just consolidate my transactions in onenote or to-do and input them at the end of the day in the app on my surface. Not an ideal situation but it will work for now.

Montpbm

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
Switching To Android 😞

I seriously don't want to switch to Android, but I need a few apps that Windows Phones just don't have or the app is trash and need phone support. Pissed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb