Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I agree, but that's not my complaint. My problem with WM is that the OS itself is more buggy and unstable than iOS and Android. Smooth functioning apps aren't any good if their underlying OS doesn't work well.

"There's no way around that." -fatclue_98

And that's my complaint too. Even if I try and use my WM devices and forgo those apps used on say, Droid, it's the instability, inconsistency, and lack of fluidity that has me putting it back into the drawer. If it weren't for those facts I think we could be reasonably happy.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
I realize that I can't be bothered to deal with the cache thing, that's too much for me to do too soon. I'm just going to stick with the SE until I decide what Android is in my future. I really liked the A3 but not the stuff that comes with.

At the moment, it's about a Pixel on the cheap (which I would have to buy accessories for again, which is very depressing to think about, considering that this would be round 3 if I cave) but that's just a Band-Aid. That camera is so nice though (can you tell that I'm still obsessed about it?). Long term, the refreshed SE or the XZ1 Compact are the only considerations and that might be the only ones. Sadly, there isn't anything for me to cave to unless I want to try things again (that would meet my size requirements) but we'll see what I do.

The A3 is supposed to get 7.0 but that hasn't dropped for the model I have yet (it has dropped for the Russian model though).

Sorry to hear about your A3 woes. Obviously the 2017 model no?

My experience w/Android started around 2010 and we can honestly say we've never encountered any nagging issue, or at least nothing that forced our hand. Still have my LG G4 running Marshmallow and couldn't be happier with its performance in 2+ years - only one hard reset ever in that time. Our GS7 & GS7 Edge (Nougat) have also given impeccable performance from day 1. Now, I'm not saying they are perfect cuz they are not, nothing ever is, yet they have not exhibited those traits many proclaim Android is notorious for. Camera is of the up most importance to me as well and one reason I've stuck with the S7 series... S8 series lack meat on their hips (too scrawny), and in this case fractions of an inch/millimetres do count lol.

Think the iPhones are great devices yet the nuse Apple has adorned them with makes it a tad too restrictive for my liking. In saying that, we could easily adapt if need be but at this point there is no need. Curious to see what the iPhone 8 brings to the table besides a high price tag.

My daughter-in-law has a Pixel and she loves it. For me though, as long as Google omits its expandable storage ability the longer it'll keep me at bay. That's pretty much a "must have" feature in my world before I'll even consider.

Our wheelhouse for phone size is between 5-5.5 inches with the L650 being perfect for me (as we've mentioned before), trends these days though appears somewhat inward and upwards which does little to excite me personally. Another discouraging fact is how these devices are garnering big $$$ for minimal advancements in tech, that tells me these companies are doing it just because they can. Going to come to a day when some of us are resigned to moving down a tier or two just because the flagships have been priced out of our range. Pointless doling out those kind of $$$ for something you'll maybe only have for 2-years max, great if it's an iPhone due to their resale value but still.

Anyhow libra89, hope you find your sweet spot in terms of a phone and without the headaches the A3 has dealt. The XZ1 Compact might be "that" phone, its 720x1280 display resolution is kind of odd considering the rest of the specs but at the same time, is just how I would have liked my L650 equipped. And sorry for the somewhat off topic personal opinion speal. :wink:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your A3 woes. Obviously the 2017 model no?

My experience w/Android started around 2010 and we can honestly say we've never encountered any nagging issue, or at least nothing that forced our hand. Still have my LG G4 running Marshmallow and couldn't be happier with its performance in 2+ years - only one hard reset ever in that time. Our GS7 & GS7 Edge (Nougat) have also given impeccable performance from day 1. Now, I'm not saying they are perfect cuz they are not, nothing ever is, yet they have not exhibited those traits many proclaim Android is notorious for. Camera is of the up most importance to me as well and one reason I've stuck with the S7 series... S8 series lack meat on their hips (too scrawny), and in this case fractions of an inch/millimetres do count lol.

Think the iPhones are great devices yet the nuse Apple has adorned them with makes it a tad too restrictive for my liking. In saying that, we could easily adapt if need be but at this point there is no need. Curious to see what the iPhone 8 brings to the table besides a high price tag.

My daughter-in-law has a Pixel and she loves it. For me though, as long as Google omits its expandable storage ability the longer it'll keep me at bay. That's pretty much a "must have" feature in my world before I'll even consider.

Our wheelhouse for phone size is between 5-5.5 inches with the L650 being perfect for me (as we've mentioned before), trends these days though appears somewhat inward and upwards which does little to excite me personally. Another discouraging fact is how these devices are garnering big $$$ for minimal advancements in tech, that tells me these companies are doing it just because they can. Going to come to a day when some of us are resigned to moving down a tier or two just because the flagships have been priced out of our range. Pointless doling out those kind of $$$ for something you'll maybe only have for 2-years max, great if it's an iPhone due to their resale value but still.

Anyhow libra89, hope you find your sweet spot in terms of a phone and without the headaches the A3 has dealt. The XZ1 Compact might be "that" phone, its 720x1280 display resolution is kind of odd considering the rest of the specs but at the same time, is just how I would have liked my L650 equipped. And sorry for the somewhat off topic personal opinion speal. :wink:

Yep, the 2017 one. It was good at first. A month and some after, we have app crashes. Clearing cache would fix it for a few days and then later, it does the same thing again.

Nice that this has been your experience! I can relate to you about that. This is the only Android phone I have decided to keep that has done this. Never had this problem before. My mom has a G4 and I haven't seen it have any issues either.

Yeah the iPhone 8 is generally interesting. I agree about the trends.

Thanks! I don't mind iOS. In fact, when the refreshed SE drops, I plan to buy. I don't mind the display of the XZ1 Compact since it is 4.7". 1080p would be wasted on that imo.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I decided to wipe the cache partition after all. This is where I lose all of you that are vaguely interested in my chronic switching.
I had to take a selfie today (I knew this would happen today so I bought both phones) and I have to say that I was disappointed in the difference between the A3 and the SE. It's to be expected of course, but I really didn't like it so that's why I cleared the partition. LOL.

Originally, I planned to just use the A3 for selfies anyway. I'm going to try this again but I am still interested in the XZ1 Compact (I need a good $100+ off sale though) and the refreshed SE. Let's see how long I deal with this...

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
So I decided to wipe the cache partition after all. This is where I lose all of you that are vaguely interested in my chronic switching.
I had to take a selfie today (I knew this would happen today so I bought both phones) and I have to say that I was disappointed in the difference between the A3 and the SE. It's to be expected of course, but I really didn't like it so that's why I cleared the partition. LOL.

Originally, I planned to just use the A3 for selfies anyway. I'm going to try this again but I am still interested in the XZ1 Compact (I need a good $100+ off sale though) and the refreshed SE. Let's see how long I deal with this...

I'm interested :grin: - find it comforting to know I am not the only one that's never content with leaving things "as is". Sometimes it's out of boredom and at other times, due to necessity. In my household the wheels never stops turning LOL.

Even though I've become pretty anti-MS/WM/WP these days we still can't stop picking the dang things up. Just last night I was toying with my 830, tonight it's the 950 - guess we're hoping for a miracle to ensue hardy har har. And as my previous post alluded to, my Droids have treated me very good yet we are constantly switching. Three weeks ago my daily driver was the 950, after that my GS7, last week the LG G4, and since yesterday, the GS7 Edge... Our 650 still sits in the drawer but I'm thinking that's about to change here reeeal soon :wink:

Still have a hankering to try an SE although like you said, a refreshed version... Curious to see what Apple will decide to do here. Always had this thing about "smaller the better" - there are compromise yet same can be said hanging on the flip-side - so think it would be sweet having a device so powerful of that stature.

Never really thought much about the XZ1 Compact until you mentioned it. I'm kind of intrigued with its specs/size yet not 100% sold on the design aspect. Think it is going to be tough finding a phone similarly equipped at that size though since the trend appears to moving towards longer displays. The bezel-less aspect many manufactures are going with does help although I'm not overly concerned whether it is or isn't long as phone has an overall visual appeal... like how we are constantly changing out our devices that may not be our sediments within an hour or two LOL.

Here's hoping your cache partition wipe did the trick and with any luck, the A3 stays on the straight-n-narrow for a lengthy period. Nothing worse than having to constantly fiddle with a device to achieve a form of stability.

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site

I'm interested :grin: - find it comforting to know I am not the only one that's never content with leaving things "as is". Sometimes it's out of boredom and at other times, due to necessity. In my household the wheels never stops turning LOL.

Even though I've become pretty anti-MS/WM/WP these days we still can't stop picking the dang things up. Just last night I was toying with my 830, tonight it's the 950 - guess we're hoping for a miracle to ensue hardy har har. And as my previous post alluded to, my Droids have treated me very good yet we are constantly switching. Three weeks ago my daily driver was the 950, after that my GS7, last week the LG G4, and since yesterday, the GS7 Edge... Our 650 still sits in the drawer but I'm thinking that's about to change here reeeal soon :wink:

Still have a hankering to try an SE although like you said, a refreshed version... Curious to see what Apple will decide to do here. Always had this thing about "smaller the better" - there are compromise yet same can be said hanging on to flip-side - so think it would be sweet having a device so powerful of that stature.

Never really thought much about the XZ1 Compact until you mentioned it. I'm kind of intrigued with its specs/size yet not 100% sold on the design aspect. Think it is going to be tough finding a phone similarly equipped at that size though since the trend appears to moving towards longer displays. The bezel-less aspect many manufactures are going with does help although I'm not overly concerned whether it is or isn't long as phone has an overall visual appeal... like how we are constantly changing out our devices that may not be our sediments within an hour or two LOL.

Here's hoping your cache partition wipe did the trick and with any luck, the A3 stays on the straight-n-narrow for a lengthy period. Nothing worse than having to constantly fiddle with a device to achieve a form of stability.

EDIT: Should have mentioned, my DJI Mobile Gimbal plays nicer with smaller dimensional phones so that's another reason to keep size at bay.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Still have a hankering to try an SE although like you said, a refreshed version... Curious to see what Apple will decide to do here. Always had this thing about "smaller the better" - there are compromise yet same can be said hanging on to flip-side - so think it would be sweet having a device so powerful of that stature.

EDIT: Should have mentioned, my DJI Mobile Gimbal plays nicer with smaller dimensional phones so that's another reason to keep size at bay.

Haha, yeah you win with the switching. It sounds like you have used a different device each week. I'm not on your level. Up to a few days ago, I have been using the A3 for a month and some exclusively until it started to be really annoying. I do agree on the trend.

Thanks, it seems faster. I'll see how long this works for. It would be nice if it lasted for like 2 months on though.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
That is what always bugged be about Android, or at least what I heard. I didn't really see that on my Pixel though, so I think it is largely device dependent. If I were ever to go back it would be for a Pixel device, but the rumors of the new one don't impress me that much. I too did love the camera as well, and that was the hardest thing to give up. Still liking my SE, even with it's crappy FFC, but I think I have only used it maybe once a month, and that was for playing with snapchat with the kids, so I don't really care about picture quality, they look cute as puppies no matter what haha. I wouldn't complain if the next SE had an upgraded FFC, my wife's iPhone 7 takes takes pictures that look great, but it isn't on my top 3 list, maybe top 5.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
Well I switched yesterday.
This past weekend was the last straw with my Windows phone.
It had developed a very bad habit of randomly not getting phone calls. Voicemails would pop up out of nowhere and my wife and kids would ask me why I was not answering the phone.
Add that to the lagging, freezing, and apps I was missing and I could not take it anymore.

Bought a Galaxy S8+ on sale and so far I'm loving it. So nice to have access to all these apps I didnt even know I missed!

I will/do direly miss my TennisFreak app and live tiles.

Oh well, maybe I can learn Java and rebuild my TennisFreak app for Android.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
That is what always bugged be about Android, or at least what I heard. I didn't really see that on my Pixel though, so I think it is largely device dependent. If I were ever to go back it would be for a Pixel device, but the rumors of the new one don't impress me that much. I too did love the camera as well, and that was the hardest thing to give up. Still liking my SE, even with it's crappy FFC, but I think I have only used it maybe once a month, and that was for playing with snapchat with the kids, so I don't really care about picture quality, they look cute as puppies no matter what haha. I wouldn't complain if the next SE had an upgraded FFC, my wife's iPhone 7 takes takes pictures that look great, but it isn't on my top 3 list, maybe top 5.

Yeah I heard of the "slowdown" so much but never experienced it until this phone. As you said, it is really device dependent. I owned the Honor 8 for months and never experienced such a thing.

I can get that about the camera though. I think it feels different when you have things to compare to. We will see about this refreshed SE, when and if it materializes. The XZ1 Compact is actually a thing and I'm leaning that way, depending on reviews, of course.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well I switched yesterday.
This past weekend was the last straw with my Windows phone.
It had developed a very bad habit of randomly not getting phone calls. Voicemails would pop up out of nowhere and my wife and kids would ask me why I was not answering the phone.
Add that to the lagging, freezing, and apps I was missing and I could not take it anymore.

Bought a Galaxy S8+ on sale and so far I'm loving it. So nice to have access to all these apps I didnt even know I missed!

I will/do direly miss my TennisFreak app and live tiles.

Oh well, maybe I can learn Java and rebuild my TennisFreak app for Android.

I hope that you'll continue to enjoy your new S8+ !

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
In the 2 days I used my iPhone SE as a phone, I realized that I can't reset my phone or else I'll lose Word Flow. :( Word Flow is not the same as SwiftKey. I guess I have to use GBoard after all, but I don't want to do it. It's not a bad app but I'll miss having a Microsoft keyboard as good as that one is.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
In the 2 days I used my iPhone SE as a phone, I realized that I can't reset my phone or else I'll lose Word Flow. :( Word Flow is not the same as SwiftKey. I guess I have to use GBoard after all, but I don't want to do it. It's not a bad app but I'll miss having a Microsoft keyboard as good as that one is.
I had used SwiftKey on my Android devices 2 years ago. However, I found that Gboard improved, whilst SwiftKey got buggy. As a result, I no longer use SwiftKey but use Gboard on all my Android devices.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I had used SwiftKey on my Android devices 2 years ago. However, I found that Gboard improved, whilst SwiftKey got buggy. As a result, I no longer use SwiftKey but use Gboard on all my Android devices.

I did exactly the same thing. I switched from Swiftkey to Gboard on my primary phone last week. It seems to me that Swiftkey has gone downhill over the last few months, and Gboard has gotten much better since I last used it.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I did exactly the same thing. I switched from Swiftkey to Gboard on my primary phone last week. It seems to me that Swiftkey has gone downhill over the last few months, and Gboard has gotten much better since I last used it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but about two years ago MS bought Swiftkey and it has gone down ever since. Sounds familiar when MS buys something doesn't it?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Yeah I don't know what it is but that keyboard is great. Like you two, it's the only one I use on Android. On iOS, I should just cave and use Gboard there too. I just liked the idea of using Microsoft products on there, but a good keyboard is a good one, right?

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong but about two years ago MS bought Swiftkey and it has gone down ever since. Sounds familiar when MS buys something doesn't it?

I noticed Swiftkey's decline over the last 6 months to a year probably, but it was definitely noticeable. I don't know whether it had anything to do with Microsoft taking over, but if it didn't, it was certainly suspicious timing.

Yeah I don't know what it is but that keyboard is great. Like you two, it's the only one I use on Android. On iOS, I should just cave and use Gboard there too. I just liked the idea of using Microsoft products on there, but a good keyboard is a good one, right?

I don't like iOS's 3rd party keyboard solution. It always switches to the iOS keyboard when you enter passwords for example. This actually makes sense, from a security standpoint.

I don't use a keyboard much on my iPad, so I just use the default iOS keyboard. You're more dedicated than I am if you use Swiftkey just because it's Microsoft. I use whatever works best. I couldn't care less whose it is! :angel: That's why I use a Windows PC, an iPad, and an Android phone.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I noticed Swiftkey's decline over the last 6 months to a year probably, but it was definitely noticeable. I don't know whether it had anything to do with Microsoft taking over, but if it didn't, it was certainly suspicious timing.

I don't like iOS's 3rd party keyboard solution. It always switches to the iOS keyboard when you enter passwords for example. This actually makes sense, from a security standpoint.

I don't use a keyboard much on my iPad, so I just use the default iOS keyboard. You're more dedicated than I am if you use Swiftkey just because it's Microsoft. I use whatever works best. I couldn't care less whose it is! :angel: That's why I use a Windows PC, an iPad, and an Android phone.

I don't mind the switching for passwords. For me, Word Flow was a way to get that WP 8.1 keyboard and the word prediction has been outstanding for me. It was a nice bonus that it was a Microsoft keyboard. I tried SwiftKey sometime last year but after Word Flow came out, it was nice to ditch that.

I think you and me are different when it comes to the iOS keyboard. I hate it. No swipe/jump text, no deal for me.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if the timing is a coincidence or not, but about a year ago is when I started noticing the bugs in SwiftKey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss