Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
...another part of me has the idea of exploring the 6s (that headphone jack though)
What about it? You don't like the fact that it's on the bottom? Because the 6S versions are the last iPhones that still DO have one. Which is exactly why I'm on a 6S Plus and not on a 7. :)

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
This local record store has a nice turntable.
e80d37e3416b59b353d567f8fdfd04f3.jpg

35a86d4d6760d5d704814604b7b52de6.jpg

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
What about it? You don't like the fact that it's on the bottom? Because the 6S versions are the last iPhones that still DO have one. Which is exactly why I'm on a 6S Plus and not on a 7. :)

I'm glad that it has one, that is. I tried the 7. While it has OIS, I found that buying lighting earpods is expensive. I can't buy one again unless it comes with those.

I prefer the size of the SE but I prefer the front camera on the 6S over the SE.

robw70

Aug 11, 2015
Visit site
It is with a heavy heart that I ditch my Lumia 950 and switch to iPhone. I love the Windows phone OS and UI but my recent holiday has just highlighted how clunky and lacking it is despite a recent factory reset. I could live without apps if Edge was up to it, but it just isn't. All the apps I do use take an age to open, as does the camera. The current Facebook app needs at least 2 attempts to open it every single time. I am tired of looking at the "Resuming" screen and of the sporadic Bluetooth connection. With the end of development for WP10 I feel it is just going to get worse so am biting the bullet now while I have free access to an unwanted iPhone. Such a shame, but there you go. Like them or not, iPhones just work and that's what I need - a phone that works.

So I got the screen on my donated iPhone 5S fixed. I have been using it for about a week now and between the Lumia 950 the difference is night and day. I miss the tiles and my 32Gb SD card but I think thats proabaly all. Apps open immediately (no more resuming/loading screens), switching is seamless, no waiting, I still have Onedrive etc, Safari works fine, camera opens almost instantly, I could go on. I also have access to more apps like Youtube, which isn't a deal breaker but is an added bonus that makes life easier. I resisted Apple for as long as I could but the Windows hardware is letting me down and the state of the platform just makes it an untenable option for me, which is a big shame. Yes, I feel like a sheep now but at least its a spring lamb bouncing around the field and not an old ram staggering around it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I am actually considering the 6s as a possibly. Unlike my Pixel experience, I shouldn't be jinxed. Resistance is so hard since I'm trying not to throw money in a Band-Aid solution but at the same time, I really want a phone that does both. Ugh. Patience is hard, especially since what might work for me on the Android side hasn't been proven.

Again, first world problems haha.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
So I am actually considering the 6s as a possibly. Unlike my Pixel experience, I shouldn't be jinxed. Resistance is so hard since I'm trying not to throw money in a Band-Aid solution but at the same time, I really want a phone that does both. Ugh. Patience is hard, especially since what might work for me on the Android side hasn't been proven.

Again, first world problems haha.

Is there any particular reason you want iOS over Android?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Is there any particular reason you want iOS over Android?

In this case, there are no Android options that would work for me and are currently available, aside from the Pixel. The Pixel is a great phone but the hardware issues can randomly appear. As one that prefer small phones, there aren't many choices. The options are essentially the Sony Xperia X Compact, Pixel, and Galaxy A3 2017.

I found a way to get the Galaxy A3 2017 and I have already had to maintain it after a month. Short answer to your question is fear of what could go wrong with a Pixel, and lack of Android options that would work for me.

Trust that I have tried everything possible and available to me. The Pixel is the best.

TennisGuy45

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
In this case, there are no Android options that would work for me and are currently available, aside from the Pixel. The Pixel is a great phone but the hardware issues can randomly appear. As one that prefer small phones, there aren't many choices. The options are essentially the Sony Xperia X Compact, Pixel, and Galaxy A3 2017.

I found a way to get the Galaxy A3 2017 and I have already had to maintain it after a month. Short answer to your question is fear of what could go wrong with a Pixel, and lack of Android options that would work for me.

Trust that I have tried everything possible and available to me. The Pixel is the best.

What about a Samsung Galaxy?

The S7 is smaller than the pixel and the S8 is a little taller but narrower than a pixel.

I'm very pleased with my S8+, wife loves her S8, and my son loves his S7.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
What about a Samsung Galaxy?

The S7 is smaller than the pixel and the S8 is a little taller but narrower than a pixel.

I'm very pleased with my S8+, wife loves her S8, and my son loves his S7.

The battery life on the S7 sucks. Height matters a lot for me, which is why this is difficult for me. There isn't much that fits lady pockets so the choices are slim.

Thank you for the suggestion though. Having an A3, I understand why people like Samsung's software additions. I can wait of course for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
The Pixel is about the size of the 4.7" iPhone, so maybe a 6S would be good for you. I went from a 6S to the Pixel and I liked both equally. I'm still holding out for improvements to the SE. If that doesn't happen in the spring, I will reconsider my options at that point. Until then I will soldier on with the SE.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The Pixel is about the size of the 4.7" iPhone, so maybe a 6S would be good for you. I went from a 6S to the Pixel and I liked both equally. I'm still holding out for improvements to the SE. If that doesn't happen in the spring, I will reconsider my options at that point. Until then I will soldier on with the SE.

Yeah I think you're right about that. I liked that the 7 had OIS but lightining earpods are $29 to buy on their own, which is a lot for wired headphones to me. Learned that the first time (I don't have any bluetooth headphones). I'm on the fence since it would be so cheap (the 6s, that is).

I agree with you about the SE. If the front camera wasn't as important to me, I probably wouldn't be in this scenario lol. As weird as it might sound, I hope for more SE information leaks to come.

I know that I'm confusing to follow, but a small part of me still wants a Pixel, but ideally from a vendor that I can return it to in case I have issues.

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The battery life on the S7 sucks. Height matters a lot for me, which is why this is difficult for me. There isn't much that fits lady pockets so the choices are slim.

Thank you for the suggestion though. Having an A3, I understand why people like Samsung's software additions. I can wait of course for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact.

The UK site Argos UK just listed it at 399.95

Deal: Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact for £400 (it's normally £500) - GSMArena.com news ...of course that translates to still 480 USD.

Edit: Wow! I did not realize that this little thing is packing a SD835 and 4GB of RAM. The camera seems fairly slick too. Nice deal in a small package...Corrected my post above. The site Argos UK is selling at £400

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
The UK site Argos UK just listed it at 399.95

Deal: Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact for £400 (it's normally £500) - GSMArena.com news ...of course that translates to still 480 USD.

Edit: Wow! I did not realize that this little thing is packing a SD835 and 4GB of RAM. The camera seems fairly slick too. Nice deal in a small package...Corrected my post above. The site Argos UK is selling at £400

Yeah, it's one of a kind for sure! It depends on the pricing here. I remember reading that it will be $600 when it comes out in October. Based on specs, it would be worth my money over me trying what I have already tried before again. The phone is worth the price...on paper.

That's a really interesting price point though, thanks for sharing.

Edit: For a funny plot twist, I'm kind of also looking at the Honor 8 again. A year ago, I was loving that phone! I'm trying to be smart here, even though this seems crazy in general.

Edit 2: I'm all over the place, so don't mind me.

Edit 3: I just remembered another Android phone that I might try with a good camera and will fit the bill.

Last edited:

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I may be dipping my feet in Android waters again. My idol 4S is starting to have battery issues. Are there any phones out there for under $300 that actually get security updates? I've heard the new Nokia phones were going to and that the Android One devices are also supposed to as well. Just trying to sort out my options.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I may be dipping my feet in Android waters again. My idol 4S is starting to have battery issues. Are there any phones out there for under $300 that actually get security updates? I've heard the new Nokia phones were going to and that the Android One devices are also supposed to as well. Just trying to sort out my options.

The new Nokia phones are up to date. The Nokia 6 is under $300 but I hear that performance is varied on it. The Moto G5 Plus is an excellent phone, but I believe that Motorola hasn't updated the security patch on that one yet.

If you are willing to go old, some Sony phones get updates, such as the Xperia X (this one is 1 year old, that is really what I mean by old lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss