Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
That’s pretty much the reason I haven’t bought a Keyone. Narrow vkb is a lot more forgiving than a physical one.

Yeah, the last physical keyboard I used was the BlackBerry Passport, and the width and key size was great. I'd much rather have something like that.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
In a weird way, I'm wondering if the best of both worlds exists with the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact. Watching some reviews from UK tech reviewers makes it look not as bad (in regards to the camera).

Like the A3, battery life is great. Like the Pixel, performance will be great.
Also the size will be even better than the A3 is.

I wonder but I can't do anything about buying that unless I get rid of the Pixel.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
So I'm having mixed Pixel feelings. It's been about 4 days and I felt these feelings the day it arrived but I was encouraged to use it for a month. At this point, it's hard for me to see myself doing that. The Pixel doesn't feel big or anything but I don't know if I just miss iOS or what.

Weirdly enough, I have missed my A3 for song identification more than anything else. I love having the voice search option for that.
On the Pixel, you don't get it without GA, which I don't want to use. I'm not sure. I love the Pixel camera but I don't know if this was worth it for me. Also I find myself using time and money trying to endlessly customize the Pixel because I'm still not content with how the home screens look. "Stock" has its pros and cons. I'm missing the mute mode and battery life of my A3. I think I can get @fatclue_98 's earlier comment about the V20 not totally hitting the spot for him.

Edit: I'm going to make a pro and con list to see if that helps me decide what to use.

Edit 2: Considering switching back to my A3. I have general core things that are must haves and while the Pixel meets/exceeds some of it, I don't know if that's enough for me. Great radios and cameras but not having song ID has been difficult for me, along with the lack of a mute switch.

How about Shazam, SoundHound or Musixmatch ? I think Shazam has an instant music recognition widget for the home screen.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately this app does not seem to be available in my country so I can't try It out.It says in Play Store that 'this item is not available in your country'.
It doesn't matter though because Shazam works fine for me. I have been using it for the past few years :)

It's basically a Google widget that you can tap to identify a song. It's weird that you can't download it though, but it seems to work the same as Shazam but no need to open the app like you have to for Shazam and the others, unless you add those widgets to your home screen.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
It's basically a Google widget that you can tap to identify a song. It's weird that you can't download it though, but it seems to work the same as Shazam but no need to open the app like you have to for Shazam and the others, unless you add those widgets to your home screen.

Yes I see that. The app seems to have been last updated a long time back.The Google app has a music recognition widget of its own now. Here's the screenshot of the app from Play Store -

Attachments

• 200435000.jpg
    200435000.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 5

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So switching back to the A3 was nice until I remembered some stupid quirks that being on Marshmallow brings (info on the lock screen is all or none, which is just dumb for a timer...), especially coming from Oreo on the Pixel. No news on when it will get 7.0, just that it will get it.

Battery life has been under what I would like for the Pixel, which is one thing that motivated switching back. The other thing has been the very rare random reboot (apparently a decent number of people are experiencing this with the 8.0 update). So I am doing an experiment. I decided to do a factory reset (people have said that those two issues have gone away by doing this), play with some settings, and just install the apps that I actually use all the time (now including Shazam for song ID) and see how that goes.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
So switching back to the A3 was nice until I remembered some stupid quirks that being on Marshmallow brings (info on the lock screen is all or none, which is just dumb for a timer...), especially coming from Oreo on the Pixel. No news on when it will get 7.0, just that it will get it.

Battery life has been under what I would like for the Pixel, which is one thing that motivated switching back. The other thing has been the very rare random reboot (apparently a decent number of people are experiencing this with the 8.0 update). So I am doing an experiment. I decided to do a factory reset (people have said that those two issues have gone away by doing this), play with some settings, and just install the apps that I actually use all the time (now including Shazam for song ID) and see how that goes.

Have you ever tried Greenify for battery ? It seems to work well according to many Android users .

I am looking forward to the Oreo update on my G5 Plus which should arrive by the year end.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Have you ever tried Greenify for battery ? It seems to work well according to many Android users .

I am looking forward to the Oreo update on my G5 Plus which should arrive by the year end.

I looked into it and according to the reviews, I recall seeing that it doesn't work as well with Oreo. Oreo is better about telling you the background processes, so I would rather let it do its thing. I'm really hoping that the random reboots stay away.

The Oreo update is really light everywhere in system themes but it's nice. I like the battery estimate, but of course I do haha.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
I looked into it and according to the reviews, I recall seeing that it doesn't work as well with Oreo. Oreo is better about telling you the background processes, so I would rather let it do its thing. I'm really hoping that the random reboots stay away.

The Oreo update is really light everywhere in system themes but it's nice. I like the battery estimate, but of course I do haha.

Thanks for the information about Greenify on Oreo. I never needed to use it on Marshmallow or Nougat on my Moto G4 Plus or later on my G5 Plus. My G5 Plus battery lasts 1.5 to 2 days on a single charge depending on my use .
I read in the AC about a phone reset helping to get rid of bugs after the Oreo update on the Pixel so I hope it helps with your Pixel too.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the information about Greenify on Oreo. I never needed to use it on Marshmallow or Nougat on my Moto G4 Plus or later on my G5 Plus. My G5 Plus battery lasts 1.5 to 2 days on a single charge depending on my use .
I read in the AC about a phone reset helping to get rid of bugs after the Oreo update on the Pixel so I hope it helps with your Pixel too.

Thank you, I hope that it does too. I hear that the battery life of the G5 Plus is good, so I ended up getting one for my mom recently. Her LG G4 just died randomly, and a battery change didn't make a difference.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, I hope that it does too. I hear that the battery life of the G5 Plus is good, so I ended up getting one for my mom recently. Her LG G4 just died randomly, and a battery change didn't make a difference.

I hope she is satisfied with the G5 plus .
I like the G5 plus quite a lot and have no regrets that I missed the G5 S plus which was launched just some days after I got the G5 plus.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I hope she is satisfied with the G5 plus .
I like the G5 plus quite a lot and have no regrets that I missed the G5 S plus which was launched just some days after I got the G5 plus.

Thank you, I hope so too.

Yeah I'm with you on that. I don't get the point of the G5S series.

Rinsun

Apr 4, 2016
Visit site
Thank you, I hope so too.

Yeah I'm with you on that. I don't get the point of the G5S series.

The G5 S plus is slightly larger , 5.5 inches and the main difference is the dual camera set up. Also the front camera has panorama, a flash and is 8 mp. It sold very well during the recent Amazon sale from 20th to 24th September in my country.
I feel Motorola is launching too many phones at short intervals resulting in a lack of security updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6