Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I made the switch around two years ago, but kept my Windows Phones just to have in case I wanted to try out the OS again. It was interesting to have both Android and WP devices all this time because I had a direct comparison of one OS improving exponentially and another doing pretty much just the opposite. I think you can probably go all the way back to WP7 and Google's decision not to support the Windows Phone ecosystem as the nail in the coffin, even though Microsoft gave a somewhat valiant effort for a time.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Ugh yeah so true. Sony phones have had mixed results for point and shoot photos and that always annoyed me. I saw a picture from it and it seems like Sony might have improved the camera.

Even though I am doing this experiment, the Pixel has been okay for battery life (it's only been one full day, on day 2 now). So far, no random reboots (upgrading to Oreo did this for a good number of Pixels). Hopefully I didn't jinx myself. I really hope so.

Edit: So GSMArena has finally dropped a review for the XZ1 Compact. The battery life is amazing, superior auto mode has improved but in regards to the front camera, it's decent but in non well lit situations it can be very noisy (this goes for both). For now, it's a no.

I saw that review yesterday too. It's a shame that it came so close for you. Guess you have to put up with the SE/Pixel until spring...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
On a related note, I did the full drain test with the Pixel. I would say that it lasted nearly a day and a half, which is fine from 100-0%. Even so, from 100% to my normal percentage to charge any phone met me at about 24 hours. This always seems to be the case for me. (Better than what I had with the iPhone 7 though, but not better than the Galaxy A3. It takes really heavy usage to go under a day for me on that one.)

Because of that, and also this: The Sony Xperia XZ1's camera has pleasantly surprised me - Android Central , the XZ1 Compact still might be worth a consideration for me.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
On a related note, I did the full drain test with the Pixel. I would say that it lasted nearly a day and a half, which is fine from 100-0%. Even so, from 100% to my normal percentage to charge any phone met me at about 24 hours. This always seems to be the case for me. (Better than what I had with the iPhone 7 though, but not better than the Galaxy A3. It takes really heavy usage to go under a day for me on that one.)

Because of that, and also this: The Sony Xperia XZ1's camera has pleasantly surprised me - Android Central , the XZ1 Compact still might be worth a consideration for me.

Ya, the iphone 6 plus days are gone. I could go almost 3 days usage on one running iOS 9/10

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Cool, I didn't know that you upgraded already! Congrats! What color did you get?

Space Gray (darker than the 6s Space Gray ... more like 'charcoal gray'). Bought it last Sunday (24th)

It was in a pic I posted on 'Show your latest purchase' thread ... Ice cream, butter, and the new iPhone lol

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ya, the iphone 6 plus days are gone. I could go almost 3 days usage on one running iOS 9/10
Nicee. It's hard to go from a phone with really good battery life to one that is just "good".

Even my SE is inferior with battery life when it comes to the other phone (Galaxy A3). I just want a phone that meets my basics and the XZ1 Compact is all that is left.

Space Gray (darker than the 6s Space Gray ... more like 'charcoal gray'). Bought it last Sunday (24th)

It was in a pic I posted on 'Show your latest purchase' thread ... Ice cream, butter, and the new iPhone lol

Wow, somehow I saw the ice cream mainly the first time I saw that post. Fail for me lol. Now I see.

Last edited:

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
... I'll add that I'm impressed with the 8 Plus. It is kinda big but not unmanageable. Two handed a lot.

It's very fast and responsive. Display is really good. Very pleased with the display....and the speakers.

...up next --- LG V30 (sold my G6 today)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
... I'll add that I'm impressed with the 8 Plus. It is kinda big but not unmanageable. Two handed a lot.

It's very fast and responsive. Display is really good. Very pleased with the display....and the speakers.

That's cool! Congrats on the G6 sale, I can see you having fun with the V30 \o/

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

It's bigger in almost every way as far as dimensions over the 7 plus. Even 20g heavier almost despite an even smaller battery again.

Edit: Ironically the iPhone 6 plus had a bigger battery, and was thinner and lighter than its siblings.

Last edited:

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's bigger in almost every way as far as dimensions over the 7 plus. Even 20g heavier almost despite an even smaller battery again.

Edit: Ironically the iPhone 6 plus had a bigger battery, and was thinner and lighter than its siblings.

I'm liking the battery on this 8 plus so far. Busy day for me at work today so wasn't on the phone much ...100% battery at 7am ... about 60 minutes SOT browsing in 8 hours with 1-2 bars of LTE showing ... reading news via Safari ... browsing a lot in Beam (a Reddit app) ... few screenshots + editing them ... several MMS texts ... no watching videos ... 96% battery available after. This is very light usage (for me).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Finally got the book that I have been waiting to read on OverDrive for a while (it's been nearly a month?) but I don't know what phone to download it to. Debating if I should download to the Pixel or to the A3.

This is truly a switcher problem. It's been easier to keep my SIM in the Pixel lately because it's been a busy weekend. Thinking about it though, I might just download it to the Pixel because with this book, I might be able to read it fast. I have something else going on shortly the day before this is "released" so I will restrain myself. (hmm, not sure about that LOL)

It's funny the additional things you have to think about that can only be on one phone at a time...

Edit: At the same time, just got a major buzzkill about ordering the XZ1 Compact. My favorite seller is going to be closed for a week and a half. Amazon is also selling it but there's tax on top of the $599.99 which gives me pause. I did the math and let's just say that the tax is enough for me to fill up my gas tank so I don't know about that.

Edit 2: I see an alternative, which is slightly cheaper (no us warranty) but a restocking fee is taken. Decisions, decisions...

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Edit: At the same time, just got a major buzzkill about ordering the XZ1 Compact. My favorite seller is going to be closed for a week and a half. Amazon is also selling it but there's tax on top of the $599.99 which gives me pause. I did the math and let's just say that the tax is enough for me to fill up my gas tank so I don't know about that.

Edit 2: I see an alternative, which is slightly cheaper (no us warranty) but a restocking fee is taken. Decisions, decisions...

I hate when that happens...;)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I hate when that happens...;)
Haha it's hard. Some days isn't so bad but that's a good while and I would like to try this out before my birthday (all I will say is that my birthday is this month). That closing is cramping my style.

Considering taking the restocking fee hit possibly if it means paying less. I like the idea of being able to try it out soon. I don't think I want to be phone testing on my birthday or I could wait for a short term price drop.

Edit: Even last year, I wasn't testing. I went from the Honor 8 to the SE because of the size and I was familiar with that phone. Not sure where my birthday will take me so I'll rather not test and be screwed.

G4Grandad

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
Something is wrong with the screen on my L830. It keeps going bright then black randomly. There's nowhere I can get it repaired and no new phones I can afford to replace it with. I'm not willing to replace it with another used phone that MS doesn't support or with one of the few that MS can't be trusted to continue supporting. So, yes, I'm thinking of leaving. What other choice do I have when I'm being shunned and locked out?

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Haha it's hard. Some days isn't so bad but that's a good while and I would like to try this out before my birthday (all I will say is that my birthday is this month). That closing is cramping my style.

Considering taking the restocking fee hit possibly if it means paying less. I like the idea of being able to try it out soon. I don't think I want to be phone testing on my birthday or I could wait for a short term price drop.

Edit: Even last year, I wasn't testing. I went from the Honor 8 to the SE because of the size and I was familiar with that phone. Not sure where my birthday will take me so I'll rather not test and be screwed.

When I want to purchase a mobile phone that I have never been able to hold and use, I tend to watch as many youtube videos demonstrating it or individuals using it as I can. This way I can look for the trouble areas and hopefully not see them. Sometimes even that does not stop me, especially if I just really want to try it out despite if I know I will have a problem using it.

Someone should start a lease and return company for mobile phones. Rent-A-Phone :). Try out the latest and greatest for a period of time and small fee per month, then return it in Excellent condition only to pick up the next device they have to offer or you want to try. Of course if you choose to keep it keep paying on it. I bet that company would make a killing especially with all the unlocked models out there now.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Wait for B&H to reopen and place your preorder when it starts. IMHO, B&H = peace of mind with top shelf service and support. And you, @libra89 deserve to be treated the way they treat their customers.
You're right! I know them and they are solid and no restocking fee helps too, along with 30 day returns. Peace of mind is better than a deal sometimes.

Thanks. I will just place the order on Sunday or Monday after they open.

Last edited:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
When I want to purchase a mobile phone that I have never been able to hold and use, I tend to watch as many youtube videos demonstrating it or individuals using it as I can. This way I can look for the trouble areas and hopefully not see them. Sometimes even that does not stop me, especially if I just really want to try it out despite if I know I will have a problem using it.

Someone should start a lease and return company for mobile phones. Rent-A-Phone :). Try out the latest and greatest for a period of time and small fee per month, then return it in Excellent condition only to pick up the next device they have to offer or you want to try. Of course if you choose to keep it keep paying on it. I bet that company would make a killing especially with all the unlocked models out there now.
I totally agree with you. I hate that's there's only been three reviews so far. Hopefully in my time of patience, more will drop.

Yeah that would be awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs