Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with you. I hate that's there's only been three reviews so far. Hopefully in my time of patience, more will drop.

Yeah that would be awesome!

It’s a shame Phone Scoop rarely reviews a phone not tied to a US carrier. I’ve always enjoyed Eric Zeman’s reviews as he pulls no punches and is usually very fair (and balanced). Please don’t hate me for the Fox News allusion.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
It’s a shame Phone Scoop rarely reviews a phone not tied to a US carrier. I’ve always enjoyed Eric Zeman’s reviews as he pulls no punches and is usually very fair (and balanced). Please don’t hate me for the Fox News allusion.

No hate here. It's about what works for you.

For me, I like YouTube reviews, even some European review channels as well. Outside of those, I'm really waiting on Android Central the most, followed by Android Authority and if I get lucky, Phone Arena too. The last one can be hit or miss, but I just need common themes to make a decision.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
No hate here. It's about what works for you.

For me, I like YouTube reviews, even some European review channels as well. Outside of those, I'm really waiting on Android Central the most, followed by Android Authority and if I get lucky, Phone Arena too. The last one can be hit or miss, but I just need common themes to make a decision.

Is there a Sony-specific site you could visit?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Is there a Sony-specific site you could visit?

There are some, I'm sure but I actually don't really like niche sites for reviews because sometimes they don't mention things that I wouldn't know already and/or they give a pass on something not being there because "that's just how it is".

For example, I read iMore's iPhone reviews with a grain of salt. I can learn things from them but it's the same deal. I'm more drawn to people who seem to be not as biased, like MrMobile/Michael Fisher. I remember the outrage that some people shared around here when he reviewed the Idol 4s (WM10 version, that is) last year. I saw his take as a honest one.

Ah, wrote too much, basically I'll rather not. I need the honest take of someone or a site that seems less biased.

Edit: I realize the irony of writing this on Windows Central but I have noticed that the writers seem to give phones a fair shake. Like no pass on saying something like, "Well this doesn't have PureView so the camera isn't the best but it's doable." That's a fair statement but someone outside of Windows Phone would not know what the heck PureView is.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Discussion: Officially Giving Up

Today has been one heck of a day. And, no, I do not mean in an exciting and hectic way. I mean, the largest mass shooting in US history and my entire country seems to want to spend its time arguing about how "he wasn't a terrorist" and how it's perfectly okay to be able to buy a fully automatic machine gun even if you're a convicted felon. I mean, Tom Petty passed away today. I mean, Microsoft announced that they're shutting down Groove Music.
Yeah, all that happened today. The first two are worse, but the last one is what I want to focus on right now. Microsoft is closing down their music service, just as it's finally coming into its own.
Here we have something we can be proud of as Windows users, a beautiful and functional all-in-one music service. It's one of the best looking apps on Windows phones, and it comes with a huge and expansive music library with reasonable prices and good, reliable performance. And now it's going out the door, along with Windows phones.

And that, for me, is the final straw. I'm throwing in the towel with Windows phones. I'm doing something I've never done before: buying a phone day one (or close to day one). Oh, did I mention it's an Android? I'm going to be picking up an LG V30. It's the first phone in a long while that has got me excited. And when I get my hands on it, my Lumia 950 XL will sit on my desk until the end of its miserable existence. A fantastic phone that is plagued with too many empty and broken promises, along with its fair share of bugs, glitches, and all around faults. I might keep my Lumia 950 alive just for something to play music at the house, but I don't even know about that now.

Look, I've been an avid Microsoft supporter for as long as I can remember. I truly believe in their vision of a smarter and easier future of technology. I believe in the "one OS to rule them all" outlook with Windows. I think Microsoft makes some of the best services available, on any platform. They have a lot of things going for them, and are on their way to a long, successful, and lucrative life as one of the best technology firms out there. But I'm done trying to support their vision at the expense of my hard-earned money, time, and energy. They've broken too many promises, taken too many things away, shut down too many services, under-delivered on too many things... and I'm done. If/when the Surface Phone arrives, I will not be in line to buy one. I always thought I would be, but I'm at the end of my patience. Google goes from strength to strength, while Microsoft talks a big game that they can't play. No, scratch that, they can very much play it, but they won't. I won't even blame this on Nadella. He is a fantastic businessman and a great leader. He just doesn't believe in the same things Microsoft's consumers do. Microsoft as a whole is alienating their most loyal fans, and before long the only people they'll have are those who only use Microsoft services because their work told them too. Yeah, they'll be making more money than ever. But nobody will care.

Where do you stand with Microsoft today? How do you feel about the recent news? Are you still sticking with the Windows phone path? Discuss!

Bobvfr

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Discussion: Officially Giving Up

Gutted, I had planned to replace my Xbox One with an X, forget it MS, I will never buy another MS product or sign up for another MS service.

I will be cancelling our Skype numbers and subscriptions, along with our Xbox Gold accounts and even our Office 365 accounts.

I suppose I don't need to cancel our Groove subscriptions.

I have been a Windows user since Windows 3, an MS DOS user before that, against all advice I used Windows server and have so many MS products (Half of them dead like Surface 2's) and although I am stuck with our Surface Pro's, Xbox Ones and 950 and 950XL for the time being, honestly I am shocked at this.

Stuff Microsoft

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Groove is dying...? Dang that's nuts. Guess I better migrate my songs to OneDrive. This is the only app I use for music. Bummer.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, sad day indeed to hear that Groove Music will be no more. This was the final thing to cause me to have to switch to Android. I was (been using Windows mobile since 2005) and still am a big supporter of MS products and will probably return once they figure out what they want to do regarding phones or mobile devices in general.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
More reviews have dropped (not any from the people I mentioned yet but it is Pixel day tomorrow so that's to be expected) and they are all saying the same things. I couldn't wait so I'm sold. I bought one.

I went for a reasonable deal. Some of you might be disappointed but I decided to do it for a reason. I see that like my favorite retailer, I am able to return it within the US for a year if I have any issues that need to be fixed. That is important to me, because most of the time, you run that risk when buying a model outside of the market. These people also have great ratings as well.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
More reviews have dropped (not any from the people I mentioned yet but it is Pixel day tomorrow so that's to be expected) and they are all saying the same things. I couldn't wait so I'm sold. I bought one.

I went for a reasonable deal. Some of you might be disappointed but I decided to do it for a reason. I see that like my favorite retailer, I am able to return it within the US for a year if I have any issues that need to be fixed. That is important to me, because most of the time, you run that risk when buying a model outside of the market. These people also have great ratings as well.

Can't wait to hear your unbiased opinion. Care to share which retailer it is that get's your trust?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Can't wait to hear your unbiased opinion. Care to share which retailer it is that get's your trust?

Sure and thanks.

B&H Photo Video is the one. 30 day returns, no restocking fee and depending on location, you can get your order in 1-3 days without additional cost. 1 year warranty on any phone bought from them.

The one I bought from is an eBay seller.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So I'm back again with a migration question, obviously as my patronage is no longer wanted by Microsoft....

Two questions: First, I'm really not a fan of googles data mining but for my needs I think it will be a better fit over iOS so i wonder how much of google I can avoid on an android phone? I will use edge, Cortana and outlook, maybe Skype. Already have a dummy gmail account for the store, anything else i can do to limit google tracking, via settings and built in controls?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a phone comparable to the Lumia 1520, with stock android, qi charging, glance (always on), headphone jack, storage card and double TTW? And from a manufacturer who's good with updates? Thanks.

Sent from mTalk

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
Never thought I'd be posting in this thread but i started my research today. Listened to three episodes of Android Central and they have all kinds of issues. Lol i thought MS fans had it rough. Anyways, i will probably be switching by end of this year.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
So I'm back again with a migration question, obviously as my patronage is no longer wanted by Microsoft....

Two questions: First, I'm really not a fan of googles data mining but for my needs I think it will be a better fit over iOS so i wonder how much of google I can avoid on an android phone? I will use edge, Cortana and outlook, maybe Skype. Already have a dummy gmail account for the store, anything else i can do to limit google tracking, via settings and built in controls?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a phone comparable to the Lumia 1520, with stock android, qi charging, glance (always on), headphone jack, storage card and double TTW? And from a manufacturer who's good with updates? Thanks.

Sent from mTalk

LG V30 fits all your needs except for stock Android. LG's skin is dang close though. I am moving from a 1520 also and am picking it up soon.

I used all Microsoft products, other than the store, on my Nexus 6 without issue several months ago. I'm sure the apps have only got better since then.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Let's grab @xandros9 and @aximtreo. We'll be the charter members of the webOS/Windows Lonely Hearts Club Band at the new Sailfish Central wing of MoNa.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Sign me up! Last time the dealbreaker was quirks and no Exchange on the phone I tried, but I've moved around a bit since so maybe I should start keeping an eye out for a gadget running it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo