Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Last time the dealbreaker was quirks and no Exchange on the phone I tried

So far we are looking at quirks: no Fingerprint reader, Bluetooth is wonky and no step counter. These things are slated for ongoing work.

Microsoft Exchange will work with a download from the Jolla store.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So far we are looking at quirks: no Fingerprint reader, Bluetooth is wonky and no step counter. These things are slated for ongoing work.

Microsoft Exchange will work with a download from the Jolla store.

Apparently Exchange is manufacturer specific because of some licensing need, so I know its a thing but it didn't help the Turing Phone - it did have an alright fingerprint scanner though, not quite first-gen Touch ID caliber, but certainly capable.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
LG V30 fits all your needs except for stock Android. LG's skin is dang close though. I am moving from a 1520 also and am picking it up soon.

I used all Microsoft products, other than the store, on my Nexus 6 without issue several months ago. I'm sure the apps have only got better since then.

Thanks. Funny enough my research had pointed me in that direction as well, also the G6 seems would also be a good option, has an older CPU but goes for significantly less at the moment. Unfortunately only carrier versions of the V30 have been released so far so I'll have to wait a bit to buy one.

Sent from mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Apparently Exchange is manufacturer specific because of some licensing need, so I know its a thing but it didn't help the Turing Phone - it did have an alright fingerprint scanner though, not quite first-gen Touch ID caliber, but certainly capable.

Well back then who needed Exchange when that phone can be ran over by an Excavator and survive (atleast once)...Wait a minute when was the last time I laid next to an excavator?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So I decided to try out Microsoft's Arrow Launcher. Gotta say, I really like it a lot. It adds more functionality than the OneTouch launcher that came with the phone. It also appears to be much faster. The cards have a touch of fluent design look very nice. Plus I like being able to resize app icons as smaller icons look less cartoony to me. Arrow Hub works well, though I've only tested it with images. I probably won't use it over Pushbullet though, since Pushbullet has extensions for Firefox/Chrome and a third party extension on Edge. However, I'm definitely going to install Edge once it's available for Android. (unless it sucks lol).

The only downside - Arrow Launcher killed double tap to sleep. -_-

Edit: D'oh! Double tap to sleep now shows up in the Arrow settings menu under gestures.

Last edited:

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So I decided to try out Microsoft's Arrow Launcher. Gotta say, I really like it a lot. It adds more functionality than the OneTouch launcher that came with the phone. It also appears to be much faster. The cards have a touch of fluent design look very nice. Plus I like being able to resize app icons as smaller icons look less cartoony to me. Arrow Hub works well, though I've only tested it with images. I probably won't use it over Pushbullet though, since Pushbullet has extensions for Firefox/Chrome and a third party extension on Edge. However, I'm definitely going to install Edge once it's available for Android. (unless it sucks lol).

The only downside - Arrow Launcher killed double tap to sleep. -_-

Edit: D'oh! Double tap to sleep now shows up in the Arrow settings menu under gestures.

I never got around to trying it when it was Arrow Launcher and whichever ones I did try I still always ended up back with Nova Launcher very shortly afterwards. I installed Microsoft Launcher a few days ago after seeing it getting upgraded and I'm loving it. I've absolutely no urge to go back to Nova any time soon either. The utility page is fantastic too and it's VERY similar to iPhone's widget page that also swipes in from left of the homepage but it works better and it's great that you can add your own widgets in there too. My favourite feature is actually one of its most simplist. Swiping the dock up to reveal another row of apps. I keep all my commonly used tools in there like calculator, settings and TV remotes.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
So I'm back again with a migration question, obviously as my patronage is no longer wanted by Microsoft....

Two questions: First, I'm really not a fan of googles data mining but for my needs I think it will be a better fit over iOS so i wonder how much of google I can avoid on an android phone? I will use edge, Cortana and outlook, maybe Skype. Already have a dummy gmail account for the store, anything else i can do to limit google tracking, via settings and built in controls?

Secondly, can anyone recommend a phone comparable to the Lumia 1520, with stock android, qi charging, glance (always on), headphone jack, storage card and double TTW? And from a manufacturer who's good with updates? Thanks.

Sent from mTalk

I'd go with an LG for all those features, G6 or V30.
Maybe even wait for the Nokia 9 which should have all those features but with near to stock Android and lightening fast updates

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I'd go with an LG for all those features, G6 or V30.
Maybe even wait for the Nokia 9 which should have all those features but with near to stock Android and lightening fast updates

Is there actually going to be a 9 though? Didn't find anything concrete when I searched (bing). Plus I wonder if they too will jump on the no headphone jack bandwagon like some other OEMs.

Sent from mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
@theefman

It is mostly rumor right now, but they all point to a device at some point. Nokia is not done yet, so it is inevitable anyway that another flagship grade phone comes. The headphone jack thing though, could happen. You might take to their twitter page if you can to get that answered. They already opened up to say they would be willing to unlock the boot loaders, so that is only a matter of time.

https://nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-9/
Here you see a glass panel leaked -- actual hardware so it could be close by.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
@theefman

It is mostly rumor right now, but they all point to a device at some point. Nokia is not done yet, so it is inevitable anyway that another flagship grade phone comes. The headphone jack thing though, could happen. You might take to their twitter page if you can to get that answered. They already opened up to say they would be willing to unlock the boot loaders, so that is only a matter of time.

https://nokiapoweruser.com/nokia-9/
Here you see a glass panel leaked -- actual hardware so it could be close by.

Thanks for the link. Certainly looks good on paper, if its actually real, apart from the curved screen. Guess while i wait for the unlocked V30 i can keep an eye on this as well.

Sent from mTalk

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the link. Certainly looks good on paper, if its actually real, apart from the curved screen. Guess while i wait for the unlocked V30 i can keep an eye on this as well.

Sent from mTalk

If I can ask, why not the Nokia 8?
@Nate W

I saw your thread and noticed that you are changing carriers. How are you dealing with getting your Windows Mobile fix? I'm just curious.

(Not related to the question but didn't want to double post lol) One of my favorite tech YouTubers did a unboxing for the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact so of course I watched it and it has me even more excited to get it in my hands tomorrow.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Surviving on the device that started it all for me back in 2013/2014. Using a rugged Lumia Icon for now. But I ordered the VZW Elite X3 yesterday and planning see how that pans out over the next two weeks.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Surviving on the device that started it all for me back in 2013/2014. Using a rugged Lumia Icon for now. But I ordered the VZW Elite X3 yesterday and planning see how that pans out over the next two weeks.

Gotcha on the Icon. Wait, I didn't know that this version of the Elite x3 came out. Very cool and congrats!

digitaldd

May 16, 2016
Visit site
B&H Photo Video is the one. 30 day returns, no restocking fee and depending on location, you can get your order in 1-3 days without additional cost. 1 year warranty on any phone bought from them.

They have a great store here in NYC where they sell pretty much everything in electronics, similar to Best Buy only no appliances and a lot larger selection in what they carry. Only knock would be they close early on Fridays through sundown on Saturday (the owners and many employees are Orthodox Jews) as well as for all the Jewish holidays for example this week they are closed for Succos.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
They have a great store here in NYC where they sell pretty much everything in electronics, similar to Best Buy only no appliances and a lot larger selection in what they carry. Only knock would be they close early on Fridays through sundown on Saturday (the owners and many employees are Orthodox Jews) as well as for all the Jewish holidays for example this week they are closed for Succos.
Yep. The timing just sucks for me right now (since the phone I want is still on preorder status since they are closed). I live in an area where I get my order the next business day always so I'm spoiled by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb