Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Anyway, I got the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact today. The performance is great, size is also great but the camera has me unsure. At least in low light situations anyway, with my play testing.

I wanted it to be better than my Galaxy A3 (I already knew that it can't top the Pixel) and now I'm not sure about that. (In my observation, the camera is better than it was on the X Compact.) When testing the same shots with all three phones (ignore the mention of the X Compact, it doesn't count here) in low light, there seems to be similarities and differences. Basically, the Pixel tones down the yellow totally, making a great picture and the A3 does a similar thing but it is very noisy (somewhat similar colors). As for the XZ1 Compact, it has more details but the yellow color is present.

Camera aside, they finally used a reasonable button placement for the volume rocker. This is finally in a natural place unlike before which was annoying right above the camera button. I got the Blue one and the color is awesome. I love how it feels in my hand and of course, one hand usage is wonderful and the speakers are nice.

So I'm debating what to do here, since the issue appears to be the color of pictures. I'm leaning on possibly returning it and taking the 20% restocking fee + shipping loss but hmm I feel conflicted.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like your tipping point is low light photos. Is it worth the restock fee to play around with other camera apps on the Play Store? Personally, I don't care for Google Camera.

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Gonna be honest here. I have been slowly selling off my GSM windows phones, since moving to VZW. Well, I got a bit risky and took a bit of that money and purchased a Pixel XL cheap. I had owned one before, so I knew mostly what I was getting.

It was a bit hasty knowing the news I have heard lately and figured I could hold the device for now and use it when the time is right. Plus my Lumia ICON is some what decrepit. I cannot believe I fooled myself into buying it. Anyway, I tried to use it and maybe it is just not the right Android device but it went back in the box by the end of the day. Sunlight visibility was bad on it. I already knew the UI was going to be depressing for me. The scaling of text and in apps is just not there for me too. I hate having to tweak something 50 different ways to get to work the way I need. However responsiveness was superb, and the FP unlocks the phone faster than any. That's just not what I spend my time doing on it....

Long story short I have a pixel xl for sale now. The device is great in itself, but I know now that if I have to move from Windows mobile I may end up on an iOS device. As much as I try to stay away from iOS due to pricing and other reasons I've come to see, it has the uniformity and lacks fragmentation of Android. Security of the platform is always a priority for Apple, and their support is always top notch. From a usability standpoint it is better in my eye. I suppose unless that Rent-A-Phone shop appears soon, that is the only way for me to trial phones. Anyway, thought I would share that.

Edit: Thankfully I have until 2019 or so to use Windows 10 Mobile. :)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Sounds like your tipping point is low light photos. Is it worth the restock fee to play around with other camera apps on the Play Store? Personally, I don't care for Google Camera.

Hmm that's a good point. I care a lot because I'm into concerts which usually are low light situations.

I have no choice at this point because a sucky situation happened at work. I dropped my new phone outside because we had an emergency situation (everything is fine) and we were trying to call other coworkers to get out. It dropped from my hand, and it has no cracks thankfully BUT it has some scratches along the edges that are mostly small but still visible, along with a big scuff.

So I'm going to be rolling with this...

Gonna be honest here. I have been slowly selling off my GSM windows phones, since moving to VZW. Well, I got a bit risky and took a bit of that money and purchased a Pixel XL cheap. I had owned one before, so I knew mostly what I was getting.

It was a bit hasty knowing the news I have heard lately and figured I could hold the device for now and use it when the time is right. Plus my Lumia ICON is some what decrepit. I cannot believe I fooled myself into buying it. Anyway, I tried to use it and maybe it is just not the right Android device but it went back in the box by the end of the day. Sunlight visibility was bad on it. I already knew the UI was going to be depressing for me. The scaling of text and in apps is just not there for me too. I hate having to tweak something 50 different ways to get to work the way I need. However responsiveness was superb, and the FP unlocks the phone faster than any. That's just not what I spend my time doing on it....

Long story short I have a pixel xl for sale now. The device is great in itself, but I know now that if I have to move from Windows mobile I may end up on an iOS device. As much as I try to stay away from iOS due to pricing and other reasons I've come to see, it has the uniformity and lacks fragmentation of Android. Security of the platform is always a priority for Apple, and their support is always top notch. From a usability standpoint it is better in my eye. I suppose unless that Rent-A-Phone shop appears soon, that is the only way for me to trial phones. Anyway, thought I would share that.

Edit: Thankfully I have until 2019 or so to use Windows 10 Mobile. :)

Wow. Good luck with your sale! And yep, you do have a whole year and some.

krazyatom

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
Anyway, I got the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact today. The performance is great, size is also great but the camera has me unsure. At least in low light situations anyway, with my play testing.

I wanted it to be better than my Galaxy A3 (I already knew that it can't top the Pixel) and now I'm not sure about that. (In my observation, the camera is better than it was on the X Compact.) When testing the same shots with all three phones (ignore the mention of the X Compact, it doesn't count here) in low light, there seems to be similarities and differences. Basically, the Pixel tones down the yellow totally, making a great picture and the A3 does a similar thing but it is very noisy (somewhat similar colors). As for the XZ1 Compact, it has more details but the yellow color is present.

Camera aside, they finally used a reasonable button placement for the volume rocker. This is finally in a natural place unlike before which was annoying right above the camera button. I got the Blue one and the color is awesome. I love how it feels in my hand and of course, one hand usage is wonderful and the speakers are nice.

So I'm debating what to do here, since the issue appears to be the color of pictures. I'm leaning on possibly returning it and taking the 20% restocking fee + shipping loss but hmm I feel conflicted.

I have to decide between pixel 2 or zx1 compact. How’s he battery life? SOT? I may try pixel 2 and if I don’t like it, ill get compact. Does it have finger print scanner?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I have to decide between pixel 2 or zx1 compact. How’s he battery life? SOT? I may try pixel 2 and if I don’t like it, ill get compact. Does it have finger print scanner?
I haven't used it for 24 hours yet to speak on it. I'll be able to give you a better answer soon though.
So far, I have over 5 hours of SOT.

ad0b0dc62c436749b25947e15f2d2132.jpg

The one I got has one. Unfortunately, if you are on T-Mobile, you would have to choose between VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling or the scanner. I'm on cricket so I'm indifferent.

krazyatom

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
I haven't used it for 24 hours yet to speak on it. I'll be able to give you a better answer soon though.

The one I got has one. Unfortunately, if you are on T-Mobile, you would have to choose between VoLTE and Wi-Fi calling or the scanner. I'm on cricket so I'm indifferent.

I am cricket too. I’ll be looking forward to your review. Where is xz1 compact thread anyway :(

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I am cricket too. I’ll be looking forward to your review. Where is xz1 compact thread anyway :(
Sweet! If you're interested, I can send the link of the seller I got it from. Cheaper than Amazon and B&H by a lot, along with a US repair point.

I have no idea :/

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmm that's a good point. I care a lot because I'm into concerts which usually are low light situations.

I have no choice at this point because a sucky situation happened at work. I dropped my new phone outside because we had an emergency situation (everything is fine) and we were trying to call other coworkers to get out. It dropped from my hand, and it has no cracks thankfully BUT it has some scratches along the edges that are mostly small but still visible, along with a big scuff.

So I'm going to be rolling with this...

Wow. Good luck with your sale! And yep, you do have a whole year and some.
Ouch!! So sorry to hear that.

R_0171

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm off to Android. Such a shame as I like the UI. Have a Nokia Lumia 930. Never upgraded to the 950 as it lacked an alluring design. Sick of apps suddenly not working. Sick of Windows full stop. Poor range of apps. More disappointed by Nokia's decline.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Dropping phones aside, I have found an excellent camera app. Well, a few actually that work well in low light situations so I think this can work out after all \o/.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
How does the Xperia XZ1 compact camera compare to the L950?

I'm in a bit of a bind, as I'm keeping an eye out for a replacement phone, I'm starting to get tired of just being left behind in a lot of stuff. Stupid feature in FB messenger, trying to use the camera within the app just crashes it, need to take a photo, and then grab it from the camera roll, which is incredibly slow.

Thing is, quality of photos on the L950 are just so good. Hard to give up a feature like that.

Alternative phones I'm interested in are the Oneplus 5, and had a feel of the new iphone 8, and it feels impressive. Really premium feel. Annoyed about lack of headphone jack.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
How does the Xperia XZ1 compact camera compare to the L950?

I'm in a bit of a bind, as I'm keeping an eye out for a replacement phone, I'm starting to get tired of just being left behind in a lot of stuff. Stupid feature in FB messenger, trying to use the camera within the app just crashes it, need to take a photo, and then grab it from the camera roll, which is incredibly slow.

Thing is, quality of photos on the L950 are just so good. Hard to give up a feature like that.

Alternative phones I'm interested in are the Oneplus 5, and had a feel of the new iphone 8, and it feels impressive. Really premium feel. Annoyed about lack of headphone jack.

Unfortunately, I have no idea. I haven't had the two phones together at the same time. Sony has finally improved their software image processing so it is better (just to note, the XZ1 has the same main camera by the way). I think the 950 can surely beat it out in low light though.

Since you mentioned the OnePlus 5, that is a solid phone. I would say that OnePlus and Sony share similar DNA with adding a few things (OnePlus more so) to the Google experience, which makes it still very light.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually surprised that sony were able to cram most of the same hardware in the compact as the regular sized phones. After getting my L950, I'm liking bigger screens, but I still think a 720p screen is good enough, I'm sure I'll appreciate the better battery life more.

mhc48

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm done and gone. Started with WinCE and kept with MS through HTC sliding keyboard phones, several Lumias. I'm only using my 950 and @live e-mail address until my new Pixel 2 arrives, hopefully in two weeks.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm done and gone. Started with WinCE and kept with MS through HTC sliding keyboard phones, several Lumias. I'm only using my 950 and @live e-mail address until my new Pixel 2 arrives, hopefully in two weeks.
You don't need to drop the Live email address. It'll work just fine on Android.

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Goodbye MS.

MS it's been interesting. That's the best way I can put it. You didn't allow upgrade from windows phone 7 OS to 8 OS. Most of the 8's couldn't move to 10 either. You killed Zune for some shoddy music service, which you switched to Xbox Music, then to Groove, and then, you killed that when you finally got it right.

Notice how apple stuck with iTunes this entire time and continually pruned and perfected it. They didn't burn it down and start from scratch each and every time new leadership came. Notice how all their phones and devices all upgrade to the next operating system so that they are all supported with new and updated apps. I wish I never gave MS a try in the mobile arena because they gave it such a half hearted try.

Now we windows 10 Mobile uses have expensive bricks that don't even have a viable music option, because Microsoft sold out to Spotify. However, the Spotify app for Windows10Mobile is absolute garbage. It just isn't functional because of all the critical bugs. Music a a core function on any smartphone and MS just killed this function on their own platform.

I will always think twice before buying a Microsoft product from now on.

skinholt

Jan 27, 2015
Visit site
Goodbye Windows Mobile

I've been a loyal Windows Phone user from the beginning. Today I ordered the Android Google Pixel 2. I'll never understand how Microsoft could screw up so badly and leave us. Even Bill Gates now has an Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa