Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Big question is if that happened, what would you get rid of?

That's a great question. It depends on battery life most likely. If it turns out to be better than the Pixel, I would get rid of the SE. I would prefer to keep a phone with a headphone jack. (I know that my Lumia 650 has one...but I mean a phone that I would actually use as one.)

I wish that there was a magical way that I could try the 8 for myself and decide if I will be keeping it or not (so I wouldn't have another thing to sell). There kind of is one but that depends on selling another phone...

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
That's a great question. It depends on battery life most likely. If it turns out to be better than the Pixel, I would get rid of the SE. I would prefer to keep a phone with a headphone jack. (I know that my Lumia 650 has one...but I mean a phone that I would actually use as one.)

I wish that there was a magical way that I could try the 8 for myself and decide if I will be keeping it or not (so I wouldn't have another thing to sell). There kind of is one but that depends on selling another phone...

You can buy one from your carrier or Apple Store and you have 14 days to use it to see what you think. I have the 7+ and that's what I'm going to do once the hubbub slows down a bit.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You can buy one from your carrier or Apple Store and you have 14 days to use it to see what you think. I have the 7+ and that's what I'm going to do once the hubbub slows down a bit.

I’m not sure about other carriers but the Magnanimous Magentus Moronicus (aka T-Mobile) charge a $50 restocking fee on top of a $20 activation fee so it’s something to consider if you’re just taking a test drive. I can’t imagine they’re the only ones who charge these fees.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I’m on the newest 11.1 update and battery life is weird. If my phone calls are on the slow side (20+/-) on any given day then it’s very good. If I have a “normal” 40-50 call day then it’ll need a top-off around 2:00. I’ve never noticed such a big discrepancy on battery life based solely on voice calls on any other phone before.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

I'll pass on my carrier, but I might consider the Apple Store. Thank you.

I’m on the newest 11.1 update and battery life is weird. If my phone calls are on the slow side (20+/-) on any given day then it’s very good. If I have a “normal” 40-50 call day then it’ll need a top-off around 2:00. I’ve never noticed such a big discrepancy on battery life based solely on voice calls on any other phone before.

Wow, that's really weird o_o That is pretty big, I agree. I didn't want to double quote you but with the carrier I'm on (cricket), they also require a new sim card ($10, only in person though) and a $25 upgrade fee regardless. I agree with you on the point about the trial. I'm good considering that I would paying the same price for the phone itself through Apple but minus the $25.

I remember when I got my SE from them (that I returned), I somehow ended up paying for another sim card because the original new one was meant to be activated with the iPhone. Welp.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to a such a kind person around here, I got my wish so my iPhone 8 is set to arrive on Tuesday. I could have gotten it today but I can't be bothered to deal with the mall (30 minute drive and the parking struggle can be real at times there). I can wait.

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to a such a kind person around here, I got my wish so my iPhone 8 is set to arrive on Tuesday. I could have gotten it today but I can't be bothered to deal with the mall (30 minute drive and the parking struggle can be real at times there). I can wait.

Better get a case.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Early impressions of the iPhone 8:

-Finally got myself a silver one (I mean for a iPhone in general) and I like how it looks on the 8/X.
-The speakers seem louder, especially coming from the Pixel and SE. I like it.
-I actually like the TrueTone screen thing a lot.
-The 8 doesn’t feel any heavier to me. I’m liking that it is shorter than the Pixel.
-I’m struggling with the iOS keyboard but that’s not really unique to the 8, lol.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Early impressions of the iPhone 8:

-Finally got myself a silver one (I mean for a iPhone in general) and I like how it looks on the 8/X.
-The speakers seem louder, especially coming from the Pixel and SE. I like it.
-I actually like the TrueTone screen thing a lot.
-The 8 doesn’t feel any heavier to me. I’m liking that it is shorter than the Pixel.
-I’m struggling with the iOS keyboard but that’s not really unique to the 8, lol.

Get SwiftKey or Gboard installed ASAP. The stock iOS keyboard kills me

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree. I miss it too, but have just adapted to the stock keyboard.

I thought of you when I considered trying it out. I might give it a solid 24 hours with and then ditch it. Not sure how you adapted lol.

On a related note, the notification system seems to suck more. Not a fan of that.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I thought of you when I considered trying it out. I might give it a solid 24 hours with and then ditch it. Not sure how you adapted lol.

On a related note, the notification system seems to suck more. Not a fan of that.

I guess I just got used to mediocrity. It works, and I like not switching back and forth to be able to use the dictation feature. That is probably what made me stick it out the most.

Notifications in iOS are definitely a complete mess. They really could learn from W10M or even Android.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I guess I just got used to mediocrity. It works, and I like not switching back and forth to be able to use the dictation feature. That is probably what made me stick it out the most.

Notifications in iOS are definitely a complete mess. They really could learn from W10M or even Android.

Gotcha, that is totally understandable. I gave up and went to GBoard. Even though SwiftKey is owned by Microsoft, the word prediction wasn't good enough for me.

Agreed on the notification mess.

More random thoughts:

For some reason (no, the reason was iTunes needing to be updated since apparently you can't use the 8/8 Plus/X with old versions of it), I chose to set up my iPhone as new for the first time since 2016 (yes really) and I was surprised to learn that all of the numbers I blocked since then have moved over with me, which is awesome.

Speaking of, it's been so nice to actually use VoLTE (don't laugh T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T users). I can use it on my SE but at this time, cricket only supports it for iPhones (and no non-Cricket phones, not sure how it is with AT&T branded phones).

Battery life is too early to tell, but trust that I will be commenting on it. I'll try it out for a couple of days to see how that goes for me. I'm having a hard time putting it down today. I just need my usage to be more normal which should happen soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb