Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm a sailor.

giphy.gif

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm probably going to blow your minds with what I'm about to say (or maybe not at this point since you all still choose to read my switching debates, haha).

Because I like to be super sure of things (or at least attempt to anyway), I have been looking into iPhone SE and iPhone 8 comparisons, considering that I am trying out an 8. I have found 2 interesting ones that has me debating if it is really worth the difference in cost. I also came across an interesting reddit thread that also has me thinking about this too.

I do like the 8 and the TrueTone display thing (it's pretty sweet) but I don't know if it's really worth it. In a way, this kind of feels like the Sony thing again. I have tried to use it normally today and I'm still getting the same battery life as yesterday, which is ironically less than the SE was by some hours.

Also looking at the 8, I don't really like the colors that the camera produces (it seems too punchy and the Pixel is still better, but I knew this would happen). To use an alternate camera app on a $700 phone just makes no sense to me, considering that we do have cheaper phones that fit the bill. (Additionally, I could probably always edit but again, does this make sense for the price?) I'm going to extend my testing into the weekend and see how that goes. Hopefully by Sunday or Monday, I will surely know what I'll do. (14 day return period is kind of short, used to 30 days lol)

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Just pick a phone and stick with it! ;)

Ha, not until it meets my needs the best! Unless the iPhone 8 gets better in the battery department, my fallback is the Pixel (original one, that is). If it does meet/exceed it, I wouldn't mind keeping the iPhone 8...

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Ha, not until it meets my needs the best! Unless the iPhone 8 gets better in the battery department, my fallback is the Pixel (original one, that is). If it does meet/exceed it, I wouldn't mind keeping the iPhone 8...

How much better is Pixel battery life compared to iPhone 8?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
How much better is Pixel battery life compared to iPhone 8?

So far, I get 22-23 hours for when I hit 39% (that's when I choose to charge my phone). If I use it heavy, that goes down to like 18-19 hours with the Pixel.

As of my second day with the 8, I got 15 hours. I'm currently on my 3rd full day and I'm hoping for it to level out. Basically, my experience is that the Pixel is closer to a day over the 8 but since I'm in the early stages, you can take this with a grain of salt.

On a curious note, I get 20 hours with the SE on iOS 10.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Speaking of battery life:

Sony Xperia X battery life was OK on Marshmallow (last a waking day with a bit left over), but took a hit on Nugget (last a working day and only maybe a waking day).

On Sailfish X battery life is extended way beyond what Android offers. I took it off the charger 6 1/2 hours ago, have poked at it a fair bit (still adjusting/tweaking/playing) and I'm at 91% still. And this is with a couple apps running as minimized covers to help me test battery endurance.

:cool:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

Sony Xperia X battery life was OK on Marshmallow (last a waking day with a bit left over), but took a hit on Nugget (last a working day and only maybe a waking day).

On Sailfish X battery life is extended way beyond what Android offers. I took it off the charger 6 1/2 hours ago, have poked at it a fair bit (still adjusting/tweaking/playing) and I'm at 91% still. And this is with a couple apps running as minimized covers to help me test battery endurance.

Wow that's awesome!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

How is the Sailfish experience going? Did you do a write up?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How is the Sailfish experience going? Did you do a write up?

So far it is very good. Not flawless, some Apps missing but I can deal with Browser for that. Deep Microsoft integration. Still playing and tweaking as I said. Hope to do a review video on Monday after the shakedown cruise. Love the UX.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site

That’s really interesting! While the Xperia X is certainly not a premium phone, that is a great selling point. (Xperia x + Sailfish x)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
8 hours off the charger add a couple more small pokes, plus a 25 minute phone call. Still at 80%.

Did I mention my 4G (LTE) signal seems stronger?

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...the Xperia X is certainly not a premium phone...

It's not top of the line for Android, but:
  • It feels and looks premium
  • Snapdragon 650 is no slouch
  • 3GB RAM and 32GB storage ain't bad
  • Display is very nice in all light conditions
  • 23MP rear and 13MP front cameras do a decent job
It is the most powerful hardware that Sailfish has ever run on and the first 64 bit SoC. So in effect, when I flashed it I turned it into a flagship phone. :winktongue:

The Sony camera sensor has a lot of potential. I was playing around trying to unlock some more of it on Android. Now I'm back to square one with Sailfish X. I'll persevere though and try some tricks. Exploring Open Camera app right now (or have it installed and will play with it when I have the time to do some side by side shots vs stock camera app).

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
It's not top of the line for Android, but:
  • It feels and looks premium
  • Snapdragon 650 is no slouch
  • 3GB RAM and 32GB storage ain't bad
  • Display is very nice in all light conditions
  • 23MP rear and 13MP front cameras do a decent job
It is the most powerful hardware that Sailfish has ever run on and the first 64 bit SoC. So in effect, when I flashed it I turned it into a flagship phone. :winktongue:

The Sony camera sensor has a lot of potential. I was playing around trying to unlock some more of it on Android. Now I'm back to square one with Sailfish X. I'll persevere though and try some tricks. Exploring Open Camera app right now (or have it installed and will play with it when I have the time to do some side by side shots vs stock camera app).

Thanks. You’re giving me some fuel for a potential project. The phone is fairly inexpensive and it would be fun to play around with something most people don’t have. As long as it fits my basic needs I won’t miss much while using it. Not ready for prime time but maybe weekend fun?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Not ready for prime time but maybe weekend fun?

Well I'm driving mine for about 36 hours now and will continue daily with it.

What's missing is:
  • My bank App, but I have Ally so even if I needed to upload a check image I can do that in browser (the only bank I know of that lets me do it that way)
  • My carrier app, so browser covers that as well
Everything else seems to be covered except minor frills. YMMV of course. I have no work required apps at this time and I don't really do much on a phone outside of comm other than photography and nav. Here maps is a go so nav is covered... And I like fiddling with camera as much as or more than point and shoot.

Be advised before you buy an Xperia X just to flash it, availability is regional at this time.

https://blog.jolla.com/sailfishx/

View attachment 138117

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm driving mine for about 36 hours now and will continue daily with it.

What's missing is:
  • My bank App, but I have Ally so even if I needed to upload a check image I can do that in browser (the only bank I know of that lets me do it that way)
  • My carrier app, so browser covers that as well
Everything else seems to be covered except minor frills. YMMV of course. I have no work required apps at this time and I don't really do much on a phone outside of comm other than photography and nav. Here maps is a go so nav is covered... And I like fiddling with camera as much as or more than point and shoot.

Be advised before you buy an Xperia X just to flash it, availability is regional at this time.

https://blog.jolla.com/sailfishx/

View attachment 138117

Thanks.
I have Ally also but can use my iPad if I need to upload a check (rare).
So if I bought one off Ebay I would have to make sure it has the correct bands for Cricket.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks.
I have Ally also but can use my iPad if I need to upload a check (rare).
So if I bought one off Ebay I would have to make sure it has the correct bands for Cricket.

The US and the international are both a match for Cricket. I use my international F5121 on Cricket.

Last edited:

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The Us and the international are both a match for Cricket. I use my international F5121 on Cricket.
Even if someone were to get a US version could you flash an international ROM through flashtool? I just flashed a UK ROM on my US-spec XZ to get the FP scanner working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs