Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
SE has much better battery life than my wife's 7, and I am using mine much more than she does. She consistently hits 10% around 8 or 9 PM. I can go to bed at 11 with over 30, and I use mine to listen to podcasts or music over bluetooth about 10 hours a day. SE is on par with the 7 plus, maybe even slightly better.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Anyone here or browsing through used Ubuntu Touch yet?

Back in the day... After webOS I was drifting around on Android and I had a Nexus 4. I sampled 3 different OS's on it.
Ubuntu Touch
Sailfish
Firefox OS

Of the three I liked Sailfish best and Firefox least. Ubuntu was alright. Aren't they withdrawn now?

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
Back in the day... After webOS I was drifting around on Android and I had a Nexus 4. I sampled 3 different OS's on it.
Ubuntu Touch
Sailfish
Firefox OS

Of the three I liked Sailfish best and Firefox least. Ubuntu was alright. Aren't they withdrawn now?

Not completely it seems. But not alive and kicking either...

nate0

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site
The devices that are supported, list 3 active mobile phone ports supported by Ubports (one plus one, Nexus 5, and Fair Phone 2) and there are 3 official phones supported by ubuntu. I was looking and saw the 3 ports are running version 15 LTS with support through version 16.

I will keep looking. I have a feeling it could end up being a dead end, but still wanted to try it for myself. I found a cheap oneplus and should get it this week.

Edited my original post.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
@Nate W it seems that they started out great with a heavily gesture oriented UI, then they moved more toward Android style home pages and they decided that users needed a page for music and a page for video. It looked like a play to push streaming partnerships and that turned me off.

Mostly what I disliked was how interminable the wait was for them to mature a product and get out of beta. They certainly missed the high tide mark of anticipation and dithered around while interest in a product faded from the minds of tech press and enthusiasts alike.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Not having a Hotspot toggle on the pull-down shade is unforgivable for me. But the wife loves it so no biggie.

The panel should be adjustable. There's an edit button on there. I set mine to wifi, vibrate, data, bluetooth, hi-fi but it looks like I could drag the hotspot button up there if I wanted to.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The panel should be adjustable. There's an edit button on there. I set mine to wifi, vibrate, data, bluetooth, hi-fi but it looks like I could drag the hotspot button up there if I wanted to.

Yes I've never seen one that isn't adjustable, at least not in the last several Android versions. I haven't seen the LG V20 though, so I cannot say there.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The icon isn't available to drag. My G6 was the same way. I cannot say for sure but it could be a T-Mobile thing since they have a hotspot stand alone app.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Like maybe the icon doesn't show up because T-Mobile doesn't support it?
The T-Mobile version comes with the hotspot app preloaded. Their website lists hotspot as a feature. Maybe it's LG, I don't know. I bought it because it was the only phone with Band 66 at the time. As I mentioned earlier, the G6 has this quirk too.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Here's my V20. Hotspot is there and there are other apps I can add. Mine is the US996 unlocked model.
821c2fd3cadc18032916d760034ec22e.jpg

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, of course. There are two more settings for unrelated stuff. I'm telling y'all, LG phones from T-Mobile don't have the hotspot icon in the pull-down.

I was pretty sure you knew better, but wanted to double check. :smile: I've had a couple T-Mobile phones in the past. They take the cake for hamstringing devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb