Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have tried twice now to move to Android and just wasn't ready. Came back to my 950 again. The photos app is super convenient. On Oreo, Outlook unread email notifications on the app icon itself worked for a bit but stopped so I couldn't be bothered trying to work out what was wrong. Email, calendar, contacts, and photos are all still perfect for my needs on W10M. I would definitely consider moving if all these functions were built into an Android phone.

Blackberry Hub integrates your Outlook mail/contacts/calendar on Android with minimal effort and you can exclude all the same Google services without missing a beat. So glad I traded for a DTEK50 and discovered the Hub. Hub can be had on non-BB phones for a small fee. If you went DTEK60, you'd get the Hub (gratis) and a lot of other nice BB touches in a performance package. I might look for a DTEK60 next. It's related to Idol 4S Windows (same maker) but with BB flavored Android. Privacy forward and security conscious.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8351&idPhone2=8449

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
So I gave into temptation, and there is a 256GB iPhone X sitting on my desk staring at me, begging me to use it. I'm torn. I want to but I know I could also sell it and make a decent profit. My SE is working well, and I really want to see what the SE2 is like in a couple months.

Decisions, decisions...

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
So I gave into temptation, and there is a 256GB iPhone X sitting on my desk staring at me, begging me to use it. I'm torn. I want to but I know I could also sell it and make a decent profit. My SE is working well, and I really want to see what the SE2 is like in a couple months.

Decisions, decisions...

I mean, you bought it already. Just try it out for a week and see how that goes for you. You can sell it if it doesn't work out.

As you said yourself, the SE2 is months away. I'll be looking forward to your impressions on the X.

I can relate to you on the SE2 but I'm still going to try the Sony Xperia XA2 since that is about a month away, over being months away.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry Hub integrates your Outlook mail/contacts/calendar on Android with minimal effort and you can exclude all the same Google services without missing a beat. So glad I traded for a DTEK50 and discovered the Hub. Hub can be had on non-BB phones for a small fee. If you went DTEK60, you'd get the Hub (gratis) and a lot of other nice BB touches in a performance package. I might look for a DTEK60 next. It's related to Idol 4S Windows (same maker) but with BB flavored Android. Privacy forward and security conscious.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=8351&idPhone2=8449
The DTEK60 is the Idol with a better camera. I didn't say it's great, just better. The FP scanner is lightning quick but I don't find the QHD display any better than the Idol's FHD. Also, the battery life is not as good but we all know that Windows is a lighter OS and has better optimization and RAM management.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I mean, you bought it already. Just try it out for a week and see how that goes for you. You can sell it if it doesn't work out.

As you said yourself, the SE2 is months away. I'll be looking forward to your impressions on the X.

I can relate to you on the SE2 but I'm still going to try the Sony Xperia XA2 since that is about a month away, over being months away.

I know it will work out, I have messed with my wife's for the past month or so. I may have been a bit impulsive, but I got a really good deal. So my internal debate is do I sell it because I don't "need" it. I guess I could just use it and list it for sale, and if someone buys it then I will switch back to the SE. Chances are if I use the X for an extended time I will probably just pass on the SE 2 though. The X seems to be the sweet spot for me, it has enough extra screen, and the camera features of the plus models, but is about the size of the standard model.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I know it will work out, I have messed with my wife's for the past month or so. I may have been a bit impulsive, but I got a really good deal. So my internal debate is do I sell it because I don't "need" it. I guess I could just use it and list it for sale, and if someone buys it then I will switch back to the SE. Chances are if I use the X for an extended time I will probably just pass on the SE 2 though. The X seems to be the sweet spot for me, it has enough extra screen, and the camera features of the plus models, but is about the size of the standard model.

Hmm, I see what you are saying. That is a tricky decision. You would have the camera features with the X, but possibly pass up on a possible refreshed SE 2.

At the same time, it seems like there hasn't been any new (enough for my liking) concrete rumors about this possibility. For something that is apparently supposed to be available/announced in ~2 months, it's pretty quiet. It's so hard to predict this early in the process.
I wish you good luck with your decision.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft has now pulled the plug on Insider builds. I figured this was going to happen but actually hearing this happened is a bummer. I was considering resetting up the Lumia 650 recently, but no point.

The Windows 10 Mobile Insider program comes to an end - Windows Central

With that dream buried, I guess I should just accept iOS, which will be easier if/when the SE 2 becomes a thing.

This isn't exactly news. We've known for a few weeks that W10M was in maintenance mode until 2019 for Creator Update users. A tweak here and a bug fix there doesn't require a new build so keeping the Insider program going was a waste of resources.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
This isn't exactly news. We've known for a few weeks that W10M was in maintenance mode until 2019 for Creator Update users. A tweak here and a bug fix there doesn't require a new build so keeping the Insider program going was a waste of resources.

You're right about that. To me, it's still disappointing that no kind of Blue Light filter/night light filter ever came to life, along with other things that would be nice to have (like making Edge less of a battery drain). I'm sad about it, especially since Insider was the way a LOT of people on Windows Central hopped in on the phones.
If there's no insider, what do they have? Unlike Android with all of these ROMs for various phones, this platform doesn't have much of that.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
You're right about that. To me, it's still disappointing that no kind of Blue Light filter/night light filter ever came to life, along with other things that would be nice to have (like making Edge less of a battery drain). I'm sad about it, especially since Insider was the way a LOT of people on Windows Central hopped in on the phones.
If there's no insider, what do they have? Unlike Android with all of these ROMs for various phones, this platform doesn't have much of that.
Windows 10 Mobile is in maintenance mode, this is it until the next big thing. Even then there's no guarantee existing phones will be able to upgrade. That's the Microsoft way. Guuuurl, you shoulda been here when WP8 came and those people who were on WP7.8 found out they were left high and dry with no upgrade path. Talk about cry me a river!

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

Husky44

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Re: An honest Lumia 920 review: Why I'm returning to an iPhone 5

Made the Android jump last night. After being a Windows Phone user since the days of Windows Mobile 2003, I previously tried iPhone, and it didn't work for me. I found it frustratingly inefficient compared to W10M.

I got a great deal on an LGV30, which is the phone I landed on after reading a LOT about Android phones here--I'm switching from a Lumia 950. The V30 gave me expandable memory, a headphone jack, and wireless charging--three hardware requirements that I wasn't ready to give up.

I didn't want to switch, but my 950 was starting to act buggy, and I wasn't sure I could hold out until the next thing comes. I got the V30 for over $300 off, so I figure if I absolutely hate it, I can still sell it for not much loss.

Device-wise, the V30 is a really nice piece of hardware.

I'm pretty happy with the apps so far; I've downloaded all the MS stuff. Installed MS Launcher thingy, but not exactly sure what that does for me.
Things I am disappointed with, or can't figure out yet:
-Really wish there was a way to make it pull contacts directly from Outlook. Hate that I have one bit of data in Google's world
-Can't figure out how to reply to texts by voice.
-Haven't figured out the whole home screen business yet. I feel like I'm rummaging around in a big box full of crap trying to figure out where I put everything, rather than having neat compartments... I'm sure that will get better with familiarity.
-oh, yeah...Live Tiles. Both iOS and Android just boggle my mind. How in the hell have the users of these other OSes, including my own family, mocked me for over a decade for being a technically ignorant buffoon? People who view Windows 10 Mobile as inferior from a design/UI standpoint are ignorant. App gap? OK, I'll concede that, although it never caused me an issue. But Live Tiles are so stinking much better than anything going on the big two.

I mainly share this to help those who are yet to make the jump. It's not horrible; I just wish I could have had an updated, supported W10 on a device like this. Still secretly wishing for MS to blow me away soon...

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Made the Android jump last night. After being a Windows Phone user since the days of Windows Mobile 2003, I previously tried iPhone, and it didn't work for me. I found it frustratingly inefficient compared to W10M.

I got a great deal on an LGV30, which is the phone I landed on after reading a LOT about Android phones here--I'm switching from a Lumia 950. The V30 gave me expandable memory, a headphone jack, and wireless charging--three hardware requirements that I wasn't ready to give up.

I didn't want to switch, but my 950 was starting to act buggy, and I wasn't sure I could hold out until the next thing comes. I got the V30 for over $300 off, so I figure if I absolutely hate it, I can still sell it for not much loss.

I'm pretty happy with the apps so far; I've downloaded all the MS stuff. Installed MS Launcher thingy, but not exactly sure what that does for me.
-Really wish there was a way to make it pull contacts directly from Outlook. Hate that I have one bit of data in Google's world
-Haven't figured out the whole home screen business yet. I feel like I'm rummaging around in a big box full of crap trying to figure out where I put everything, rather than having neat compartments... I'm sure that will get better with familiarity.
-oh, yeah...Live Tiles. Both iOS and Android just boggle my mind. How in the hell have the users of these other OSes, including my own family, mocked me for over a decade for being a technically ignorant buffoon? People who view Windows 10 Mobile as inferior from a design/UI standpoint are ignorant. App gap? OK, I'll concede that, although it never caused me an issue. But Live Tiles are so stinking much better than anything going on the big two.

I mainly share this to help those who are yet to make the jump. It's not horrible; I just wish I could have had an updated, supported W10 on a device like this. Still secretly wishing for MS to blow me away soon...

Make sure you add your Outlook Account as an Exchange account and it will sync your Outlook contacts just fine

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

Oh and it is possible to keep a pretty darn close feel of Windows phones on your Android. I switch between Microsoft Launcher and SquareHome2 often

Attachments

• 5284.jpg
    5284.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 63

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft has now pulled the plug on Insider builds. I figured this was going to happen but actually hearing this happened is a bummer. I was considering resetting up the Lumia 650 recently, but no point.

The Windows 10 Mobile Insider program comes to an end - Windows Central

With that dream buried, I guess I should just accept iOS, which will be easier if/when the SE 2 becomes a thing.

This was the reason I moved to iOS about 9 months ago. It was easy to see this was going to happen though I got told I was wrong. While it doesn’t mean devices will stop working and will still get security updates, I just can’t stay with an os that has stopped innovating. I do hope they come up with the next big thing, but until then, I’ll stick with Apple and watch Windows from the sideline.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
This was the reason I moved to iOS about 9 months ago. It was easy to see this was going to happen though I got told I was wrong. While it doesn’t mean devices will stop working and will still get security updates, I just can’t stay with an os that has stopped innovating. I do hope they come up with the next big thing, but until then, I’ll stick with Apple and watch Windows from the sideline.

I totally agree with you. It sounds like we will see for sure.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I totally agree with you. It sounds like we will see for sure.

I agree with both of you which is why my primary is an Android. But I'm almost "forced" to carry a Windows device due to failures on the basics by both Android and iOS. As good as Nine is, their idea of push email means "we'll push it when we're good and ready". They're consistently 5-10 minutes behind any Windows phone or my Tab S2. The Tab is running the BlackBerry Hub which has been ruined with a recent update on phones. You can no longer pin separate accounts to your home screen like you can with Tiles. I have to keep the tablet on LTE so it won't update Hub.

Printing is another sore spot with me. Unless the target printer supports Google Cloud Services, you're outta gas. I plug in a USB-C 3.0 to Ethernet adapter on any of my Continuum-capable Windows phones and I can print to any printer on my network. This is particularly useful for my plotters and raster printers.

Apps are great and all but they should be complementary. Email and PIM is the basis for a smartphone but it seems Twitter and Instagram took over somewhere in the mid-2010s.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree with both of you which is why my primary is an Android. But I'm almost "forced" to carry a Windows device due to failures on the basics by both Android and iOS. As good as Nine is, their idea of push email means "we'll push it when we're good and ready". They're consistently 5-10 minutes behind any Windows phone or my Tab S2. The Tab is running the BlackBerry Hub which has been ruined with a recent update on phones. You can no longer pin separate accounts to your home screen like you can with Tiles. I have to keep the tablet on LTE so it won't update Hub.

Printing is another sore spot with me. Unless the target printer supports Google Cloud Services, you're outta gas. I plug in a USB-C 3.0 to Ethernet adapter on any of my Continuum-capable Windows phones and I can print to any printer on my network. This is particularly useful for my plotters and raster printers.

Apps are great and all but they should be complementary. Email and PIM is the basis for a smartphone but it seems Twitter and Instagram took over somewhere in the mid-2010s.

I can only imagine what you have to deal with when it comes to printing. I do agree with your comment about Nine though. I never thought about it until you said it lol.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I can only imagine what you have to deal with when it comes to printing. I do agree with your comment about Nine though. I never thought about it until you said it lol.
Ugh! The x3 is already on my s**t list, can't walk and chew gum at the same time. It's going into perpetual resets every 10 minutes if I have the Fitbit and my truck's hands-free connected simultaneously. I've never had the problem before but I've read similar stories here. Two options, go nuclear with a hard reset or go back to the Idol.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

I sold my X so I am waiting on the SE 2 as well. This little phone keeps on chugging though so I'm not in a rush, but my phone ADD does kick in every now and then. SE leaks have been very few and far between, so that doesn't help matters. I don't like the rumors I read that they are expecting a 6.1" phone to replace the SE as the low cost phone. As I have said many times I don't care about the low cost, but I do care about the small size. I wouldn't care if the small phone cost more than this rumored 6.1" phone as long as it was still offered.

Only about two months until the normal spring event date though, so I can tough it out. If the SE 2 isn't released then, but instead switched to the fall event I might give in and grab another X.

Windows 10 Mobile is in maintenance mode, this is it until the next big thing. Even then there's no guarantee existing phones will be able to upgrade. That's the Microsoft way. Guuuurl, you shoulda been here when WP8 came and those people who were on WP7.8 found out they were left high and dry with no upgrade path. Talk about cry me a river!

I think you would be safer guaranteeing that the existing phones won't be able to upgrade, and I am ok with that. I don't want them to compromise whatever the new system is to make it work on older devices. They need to start from scratch and make the OS and the device that will work best on it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ugh! The x3 is already on my s**t list, can't walk and chew gum at the same time. It's going into perpetual resets every 10 minutes if I have the Fitbit and my truck's hands-free connected simultaneously. I've never had the problem before but I've read similar stories here. Two options, go nuclear with a hard reset or go back to the Idol.

Oh no, the random restarts sound like such a pain. Good luck with your decision. If you have time, you can always try a reset and see how that goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo