Switching platforms? | Thinking of leaving?...comment here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
No, it seemed like the first one was more unknown until it was launched, at least that is how I remember it. Like everything leaked out right at the end. I wasn't paying that much attention at that point though, so maybe I just didn't know.

I forgot to mention that the battery life is excellent on the X. I easily have 70-75% battery at the end of a work day (I am on 11.3 beta), I was getting about 40-50 on my SE. Even my wife who was always hitting low battery warnings on her 7, has not ever hit that on the X in the 2.5 months that she has had it.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
No, it seemed like the first one was more unknown until it was launched, at least that is how I remember it. Like everything leaked out right at the end. I wasn't paying that much attention at that point though, so maybe I just didn't know.

I forgot to mention that the battery life is excellent on the X. I easily have 70-75% battery at the end of a work day (I am on 11.3 beta), I was getting about 40-50 on my SE. Even my wife who was always hitting low battery warnings on her 7, has not ever hit that on the X in the 2.5 months that she has had it.

Hm, you might be right about that. It's been a while, can't recall. That battery life sounds great! Who would have known that you and your wife would happen to have the same phone for a while?

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hm, you might be right about that. It's been a while, can't recall. That battery life sounds great! Who would have known that you and your wife would happen to have the same phone for a while?

Haven't had the same phone since the Lumia 822.

Edit: I forgot, there were a few weeks we both had an iPhone 6S, but the 822 was for a much longer time (about a year).

Old_Mil

Dec 23, 2015
Visit site
The blackberry passport is a great device, but two caveats. BB10 has been orphaned for quite a while now and so overall functionality is less than W10M. Also the device has a known design flaw that eventually leads to antenna failure and intermittent and then permanent loss of signal for which no one has come up with a solution.

anon(50597)

Sep 28, 2014
Visit site
Not at all, buck and a quarter. Funny thing is, it’s less dead than Windows and BB support ends 12/31/2019. With limited Android availability, it’s also more functional.

Ok. That is certainly worth paying to play around with.
I had one for a couple of months. Too big for me but a nice phone to type on.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Someone I don't really know, but whom I recently traded with, sent me a BB Passport Silver Edition that appears to be a prototype. (Marked Not For Sale on the front trim beneath the keyboard.) It came to me completely unexpected and out of the blue. I sent him a Thank You note and never heard back. I have no idea why I was the beneficiary or if it came to me by some sort of mistake.

It still had the protective plastic on the screen and camera lens and is mint. It appears I'm the first to use it.

Thing is massive in the hand or pocket. I suspect it is meant for suit wearing types who have an inside breast pocket.

Used it for about 5 days. Interesting device, it's just not "me."

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Thing is massive in the hand or pocket. I suspect it is meant for suit wearing types who have an inside breast pocket.

I remember years ago when BlackBerry introduced the Passport. They demonstrated how it is the size of an actual passport, which business travelers are used to carrying.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
In not so surprising news (or maybe it is, lol), I decided to go with the iPhone 7 again. I feel like I got a decent deal on it.

The Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact was announced, and since there's been no change in the camera, I'm not impressed. Like mentioned by @camaroz1985 before , who knows about the SE 2? We'll see. I tried the 8 last year and aside from TrueTone, it didn't feel like it was worth it for me, and I don't like the colors that the camera produced. I prefer more natural like colors.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
In not so surprising news (or maybe it is, lol), I decided to go with the iPhone 7 again. I feel like I got a decent deal on it.

The Sony Xperia XZ2 Compact was announced, and since there's been no change in the camera, I'm not impressed. Like mentioned by @camaroz1985 before , who knows about the SE 2? We'll see. I tried the 8 last year and aside from TrueTone, it didn't feel like it was worth it for me, and I don't like the colors that the camera produced. I prefer more natural like colors.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d82f88bd-7dbd-4a98-a1ee-5c83725419b9

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site

If you got a good deal it makes sense to use it for a while until we see what comes this year as far as an SE or SE replacement. It is a bit surprising to see you go back though. Got tired of the FFC on the SE, or just too good of a deal to pass up?
I assume you have a battery case with it, as that was one of the biggest issues you had before.

I must say I liked the design of the 7 more than the 8. I like the aluminum more than the glass. I always have my phone in a case though so it doesn't bother me too much. I have started using wireless charging again, and it brings me back to the good old days with my Windows phones (822, 1520, 830, 950). It's not fast, but I don't need it to be, I only use it overnight. I used to use it in the car too, and that was really convenient (probably the best use of wireless charging, at least for me), but with CarPlay now I have to plug in.

Hopefully the 7 will treat you well, and you keep it for a while (or find a good deal on something else, which seems more likely knowing you. *hint* X *hint*).

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site

LOL
If you got a good deal it makes sense to use it for a while until we see what comes this year as far as an SE or SE replacement. It is a bit surprising to see you go back though. Got tired of the FFC on the SE, or just too good of a deal to pass up?
I assume you have a battery case with it, as that was one of the biggest issues you had before.

I must say I liked the design of the 7 more than the 8. I like the aluminum more than the glass. I always have my phone in a case though so it doesn't bother me too much. I have started using wireless charging again, and it brings me back to the good old days with my Windows phones (822, 1520, 830, 950). It's not fast, but I don't need it to be, I only use it overnight. I used to use it in the car too, and that was really convenient (probably the best use of wireless charging, at least for me), but with CarPlay now I have to plug in.

Hopefully the 7 will treat you well, and you keep it for a while (or find a good deal on something else, which seems more likely knowing you. *hint* X *hint*).

Your first guess was right, I got tired of the FFC on the SE now since I have been using it as a phone again. I have been following listings for weeks now. I had specific things I wanted in a deal, and I got the more important stuff (didn't get a Red after all but it's fine). The mixed performance of my Galaxy A3 can be annoying at times so I switch but then I miss the camera lol.

I may or may not get a battery case, it depends. I have been doing an experiment to do less on my phone this week, which has me carrying around 2 phones (sometimes). Basically I removed most of the apps that I kept refreshing from my SE (which I'm using as a phone; email remains though) and leave those apps on my A3. The catch with this is that I can only load things when I'm at a place that has WiFi I'm connected to, like home and work. I have downloaded all of my media on it (podcasts, playlists, a library book) and I put it away in my purse. Otherwise, I leave it in the car, like when I have class. Essentially, of course battery life is nice because only email and weather are updated, so I might not need it.

I totally agree about the design though. I liked the colors more than the glass, I think. Ooh wireless charging sounds nice to have again for you. It's funny what you miss when you don't realize it.

Thank you. Haha, I don't know. I have thought about the X but at the prices it is now, even secondhand, I can't do it. Now that I started grad school, it's less likely.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
....Thank you. Haha, I don't know. I have thought about the X but at the prices it is now, even secondhand, I can't do it. Now that I started grad school, it's less likely.

Well, that's what you get for trying to better yourself and furthering your education...

Just to plant a seed, you can get them for about half price, which isn't cheap, but it is a lot of phone for the price, and maybe, just maybe you might be able to keep a single phone for longer than 6, scratch that, 3 months :smile:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well, that's what you get for trying to better yourself and furthering your education...

Just to plant a seed, you can get them for about half price, which isn't cheap, but it is a lot of phone for the price, and maybe, just maybe you might be able to keep a single phone for longer than 6, scratch that, 3 months :smile:

Lol!

Hmm, that is possible. That's true. We will see but I doubt that I'll do it. School has kind of forced me to keep a phone because of time I don't have as much of.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Life with the iPhone 7 so far, has been fine battery wise. I tweaked some things and I have been getting more than a day actually without charging so I might not need that battery case after all! It's not great but it is acceptable for me and that is really what matters.

I realized that I got the luck of the draw with this particular one being new and still on iOS 10. I believe it is a Apple Store refurbished 7, which explains the software and still having free telephone service active for a few more months and the one year warranty that I have the choice to add on to.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Any good news surrounding Windows for mobile is cause for celebration. Fitbit just updated the Windows app (version 2.30) this week to support mobile payments!! Hey, it's something.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
So I got the Fitbit 2.0 update last night and it just made me chuckle. My WATCH now has more "popular" apps and mobile payment than my Windows phone. Not exactly the app gap solution I would've considered but hey, whatever works right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre