Gameloft wp8 games due soon

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Man, it really sucks that the framerate for these games is pretty low. I thought they would've optimized the game to run well, but I guess the 920's display is too much to code against...

Well, I really doubt Modern Combat 4 will be smooth, but I'll still buy it =/

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't think the problem is the Lumia 920's hardware. The problem is the lack of optimization on Gameloft's part. In fact, if I had to guess, they're outsourcing the work and chances are they're not as demanding as they should be. They don't want to run up the bill on excessive development costs. This results in performance hits for us which they may or may not address with a patch. Of course, with a powerful GPU that becomes less of an issue, allowing developers to be sloppy.

gladbecker82

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the problem is the Lumia 920's hardware. The problem is the lack of optimization on Gameloft's part. In fact, if I had to guess, they're outsourcing the work and chances are they're not as demanding as they should be. They don't want to run up the bill on excessive development costs. This results in performance hits for us which they may or may not address with a patch. Of course, with a powerful GPU that becomes less of an issue, allowing developers to be sloppy.

I think the same, its outsourced to someone who does some WP development but the original Devs work on something new. 2 of the 3 Games so far played good to great, Asphalt und Real Football. Havent touched Spiderman but i heard i will not miss anything. Batman looks cool from the Iphone Video i saw, but it has also Microtransaction so im not sure about getting it. Shark Dash looks like a nice Puzzler but im still on turn n run so i might get this later.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree, in that Gameloft is just taking the easy route with these ports, and refuses to take Windows Phone as a serious customer. I was really looking forward to the games being more optimized compared to their Android counterparts since there is only one SOC to develop against....

Asphalt 7 looks and plays as if the game is a recording or something...a recording that you can manipulate and play (if that makes sense). It isn't "crisp" and clear looking and has a type of cloudy look, with a framerate that isn't slow, but isn't as smooth as iOS either...

Spiderman, as mentioned, runs terrible. It really shows you that Gameloft doesn't care, because there is no way that that would've passed testing running that slow...

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Asphalt 7 looks and works fine. People complain when Gameloft doesn't bring the games - they complain when they do.

Can't win with some people.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Asphalt 7 looks and plays as if the game is a recording or something...

I suggest you try Asphalt 7 on Android. I did and except for a slight advantage in framerate, maybe due to the lower resolution of the device, it was an inferior port. Menus looked like crap, with poorly scaled graphics. In game framerate was good, but inconsistent. It lacked some of the visual effects of the Windows Phone version, and buildings in the distance were missing textures.

It could have been symptoms unique to this device, but that phone's internals are identical to the Lumia 920/820.

That said, I do agree that Gameloft isn't giving it their all. They're outsourcing the ports and not enough care is being given to optimization. Like EA, quality is lacking even in the original, iOS version. So they'll never invest sufficient care in getting second and third tier ports to look and run properly. And good luck ever seeing post launch support.

Which reminds me, the Android version had additional cars and game play modes that were introduced with some update. I wonder when and if we'll be seeing that.

Miekk4

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Tried it yesterday, after downloading the .xap installer on PC and then transferring it into phone's SD card. It's the only way I get to play larger games on my L820 due to the limited phone storage. The game itself is quite impressive but it's hard to play with a relatively small screen plus it really heats up the phone almost immediately.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Tried it yesterday, after downloading the .xap installer on PC and then transferring it into phone's SD card. It's the only way I get to play larger games on my L820 due to the limited phone storage. The game itself is quite impressive but it's hard to play with a relatively small screen plus it really heats up the phone almost immediately.

Not choppy as Spiderman and Batman, but still a little choppy: its similar to Asphalt 7 before the latest update (where they lowered the graphics and size, thus making the game really smooth). Its still playable, and I was expecting it to be like this (because they have to get it out to the marketplace first, then update and improve like Asphalt 7), so I'm not entirely disappointed, but just trying to be patient for the update to optimize it more lol...

I've also been waiting for a Modern Combat/NOVA port for Windows Phone since I got my first device (the Arrive), so even with the low framerate and all I'm still stoked the day has finally come to where I don't need to carry another device to play these on a mobile device. It also shows developers are respecting the platform (even this port is beyond late), so it makes me feel even better about investing in Windows Phone...

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I found the framerate in this game to be excellent throughout. If there were dips I didn't think they interfered with gameplay, but maybe I haven't played enough. The touchscreen controls are about as good as you can expect for a touchscreen-based FPS.

Without question it's far better than The Dark Knight. That was crap, with performance so bad it did affect gameplay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb