Siri for Windows Phone 7 & 8 [$2.49]

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Re: Siri for Windows Phone [Updated: WP7 app and trial!]

Hi, I tried with a full name and it doesn't work that much either but just saying "Setup a meeting at 9" works.

Also, I got an update for this app today and I was wondering what has changed?

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Hi, I tried with a full name and it doesn't work that much either but just saying "Setup a meeting at 9" works.

Also, I got an update for this app today and I was wondering what has changed?

The app improved performance on my WP7 device. Didn't notice any difference from WP8. That meeting command stuff is weird. Let's see if it improves. My experience is that new features arrive on average for every 2nd update (so for every 2 weeks or so), and every 2nd update is a stability and performance update.

Andrew Milne

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

I cant seem to get any commands to work outside of the app. For some reason if I say "Alex set up a meeting for 9am" it takes that phrase and the phone does a google search instead. I tried uninstalling the app and trying again but the same thing happened. Seems to work ok within the app.

Apoc

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

The price of the app is now $7.99 in the US marketplace and now does have a free 3 day trial.

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

The price has been reduced to $5.99 now, but the trial has been removed again. I asked them why, and they told me it was due to server costs. The trial overloaded the servers too much in terms of finance. They explained to me that they have to pay a dollar to Wolfram Alpha, and even further expenses to other providers per app-sale.

That would explain the price too.

As for those having issues with the meeting commands, try invoking them from outside the app by holding down your start button. That seems to work better for me. I hope they fix this soon. I was told that Yelp will be integrated "within 2 weeks" around 2 weeks ago when I asked about new features.

Oh, and they are apparently working on a website as well (http://alex-app.com).

Andrew Milne

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Siri for Windows Phone 7 & 8 [$5.99]

It looks like there are some issues with language you have set up under the speech settings on your phone. For some reason I couldnt get the phone to pick up on any commands I was saying outside of the app when I have English (UK) selected, but it worked fine if I had English (United States) selected. I contacted them about the problem and they were very good and said they had an update waiting to be approved with MS, but that the speech language bug would be resolved in the next update.

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
It looks like there are some issues with language you have set up under the speech settings on your phone. For some reason I couldnt get the phone to pick up on any commands I was saying outside of the app when I have English (UK) selected, but it worked fine if I had English (United States) selected. I contacted them about the problem and they were very good and said they had an update waiting to be approved with MS, but that the speech language bug would be resolved in the next update.
That is awesome. Thanks for letting us know. That would explain why some people have complained over that in the reviews.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site

It seems these developers are really committed to Windows Phone so I went ahead and downloaded the app. I haven't had much time to play around with it but it seems to be a good start, but I hope the voice gets implemented more. For example, when I ask 'when is my next appointment' it will show the next appointment on the screen-I could have easily accomplished that by looking at the Live Tile but used the voice since I was driving; I was expecting it to actually read 'your next appointment is with Chris at 1:30.'

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
It seems these developers are really committed to Windows Phone so I went ahead and downloaded the app. I haven't had much time to play around with it but it seems to be a good start, but I hope the voice gets implemented more. For example, when I ask 'when is my next appointment' it will show the next appointment on the screen-I could have easily accomplished that by looking at the Live Tile but used the voice since I was driving; I was expecting it to actually read 'your next appointment is with Chris at 1:30.'
You should contact them. They really do listen.

Andrew Milne

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site

You should contact them. They really do listen.

I can vouch for this. They do seem really good at getting back to you and letting you know whats going on and I'm sure they would be more than happy to hear of people's suggestions

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I just bought this turd and it has to be the single worst app in the store.

You can run down the list of "commands" nearly verbatim and it fails on half of them. And the ones it does do are so insanely poorly thought out that the developer should never write another piece of software. "Alex, set up a meeting at 9" is one of the example commands. At 9 what? AM? PM? OH WAIT, YOU CAN'T SPECIFY! Nor can you specify a date! The "Commands" section starts with "The following commands are just examples of what can be executed". Well, WHERE IS THE FULL LIST? Since half of the examples don't even work, how many different things should we try? Oh, and the developer is so brain-dead that he didn't disable the microphone button while the app is responding, so if you press the mic button too early the app records its own response and tries to respond to it! Argh, this is the worst app ever. If it was like a buck or two I wouldn't be raging, but at its price point I would not expect an app that performs less than 25% of what it advertises, which is definitely the case here.

The app is so bad that I'd even suggest that the OP is a shill.

-E

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I just bought this turd and it has to be the single worst app in the store.

You can run down the list of "commands" nearly verbatim and it fails on half of them. And the ones it does do are so insanely poorly thought out that the developer should never write another piece of software. "Alex, set up a meeting at 9" is one of the example commands. At 9 what? AM? PM? OH WAIT, YOU CAN'T SPECIFY! Nor can you specify a date! The "Commands" section starts with "The following commands are just examples of what can be executed". Well, WHERE IS THE FULL LIST? Since half of the examples don't even work, how many different things should we try? Oh, and the developer is so brain-dead that he didn't disable the microphone button while the app is responding, so if you press the mic button too early the app records its own response and tries to respond to it! Argh, this is the worst app ever. If it was like a buck or two I wouldn't be raging, but at its price point I would not expect an app that performs less than 25% of what it advertises, which is definitely the case here.

The app is so bad that I'd even suggest that the OP is a shill.

-E

I can say "set up a meeting at 9 p.m." just fine. Did you even try it before ranting?

The app has existed for a month or so, and has received a major update every week. Expect them to listen if you contact them with constructive feedback, and they will likely take your requests very seriously.

Many of the command examples are from Wolfram Alphas website it seems (http://wolframalpha.com/examples). I assume that is why not all of them can be spoken.

They told me ssomething about adding keyboard support in the future. Maybe that will help? Or maybe they will remove the commands that cannot be spoken. Who knows. Contact them to figure it out!

I'm surprised you took it as far as offending me being the OP. Have you tried anger management?

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

I can say "set up a meeting at 9 p.m." just fine. Did you even try it before ranting?

Did I even try it? Are you joking? I tried it EXTENSIVELY. Have YOU tried it? Try setting an appointment for 9AM and post back how well that works.

-E

E Lizzle

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

The "Commands" that I am saying do not work are the commands at the top, in blue.

-E

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
AH, I have identified the issue. From outside the app, the meeting thing works just fine with P.M. But not inside the app. Because you don't want to contact them about it, I will. It will probably be fixed in the next update.

ffMathy

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Actually, no. It works every time. I am saying "Alex, please set up a meeting at 9 p.m.".

Have you tried reinstalling it? They recommended me doing that at one time, since the Windows Phone store can be slow at detecting updates for apps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel