Will Windows Mobile ever succeed?

Nick Archambault1

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I have no loyalties. I've had a PC, Mac, Ipad, Android Tablet, iPhone and Windows phone. I honestly believe windows will only succeed in areas where there is demand for cheaper products. Of all the devices I have had there has been none more reliable than Apple's products. They are simply the best. Right now I have an 8x and I cant wait for the new iPhone to come out.

I really hope Windows will succeed because I do hate paying that "apple tax" but right now its worth the extra fee for a product that is simply reliable and superior.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to WizTiles I am now able to have my netball and cheerleader friends right on my home screen, ready to go whenever I hit the start button. Even better is that I can get to their websites by tapping the tile. Small but very personal.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to WizTiles I am now able to have my netball and cheerleader friends right on my home screen, ready to go whenever I hit the start button. Even better is that I can get to their websites by tapping the tile. Small but very personal.

They addressed my concern, and for the next update, they said they will include a feature for splitting pictures in double wide tiles :D

Connie Litrenta

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I agree with a lot of the comments above. if you come on board with WP8, you need to be prepared to go thru the growing pains but I truly think it is worth it, especially for families that want to share info (Rooms). As one poster stated, some of the apps need to grow and become more robust and others need some fine tuning but the OS as a whole is great. I love the live tiles, the bright squares and the fluid sideways movement. The whole package is just nice to work with. There is absolutely no getting around the fact that if you have a Windows 8 Desktop, this OS works FAR better with it. That alone makes it worth it to me. Might I also add that their current commercial featuring the iPhone and Galaxy S3 is just awsome? :winktongue:

I have no loyalties. I've had a PC, Mac, Ipad, Android Tablet, iPhone and Windows phone. I honestly believe windows will only succeed in areas where there is demand for cheaper products. Of all the devices I have had there has been none more reliable than Apple's products. They are simply the best. Right now I have an 8x and I cant wait for the new iPhone to come out.

I really hope Windows will succeed because I do hate paying that "apple tax" but right now its worth the extra fee for a product that is simply reliable and superior.

Those are good reasons but I will never have one for two reasons - 1) You have to jump thru to many darn hoops every time you need something fixed (often having topay for it) and 2) I find the OS with its row after row of icons unbeleivably boring. it just isn't good enough to give me a good running phone and a zillion apps. Apple used to be the "wow" guys and now they're nothing more than the "yawn" guys. I want/need different, exciting, entertaining and above all else NOT boring. Oh and having more than one phone to choose from would be really nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So, I decided to link my SkypeIn numbers (on 2 separate Skype contact cards) to an Outlook contact card for them (so all 3 cards merged into one card thanks to the three linked contact cards), and set a custom ringtone on the Outlook one. I rung my phone from my SkypeIn number. Custom ringtone played. Now that's nice. There's still more which I think needs to be done which I'll post about in the other thread, but this is a fantastic start.

tgzgeorge

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure its been mentioned that apps for business such as Citrix or even basic feature such as VPN needs to be in WP.

WP has a chance here to solidify its place in the mobile space but they need to really market the various products as one - office, SkyDrive and music for a low price to drive up sales.

These products alone makes it compelling to own a WP vs a BlackBerry.

rianash

May 27, 2013
Visit site
1. Live tiles (Calendar, Photos, Weather).

2. Fresh UI: start screen interface where I can put only oftenly accessed apps (used iOS up to iOS 6, it's getting old).

3. Low-light capable camera.

4. Offline maps (Nokia Here Maps).

5. XBox games, e.g.: Wordament.

6. Mid-range hardware/price availability (Lumia 620 for about $260 in Indonesia).

Oh, last but not least:

7. Skydrive 7GB cloud storage with ability to share photos/videos to public with a simple browser-friendly link (used it to share 4-yr old son dancing videos to his grandpa).

Go Nokia/Microsoft!!!

PS. Next upgrade would be upper-range hardware/price (like 920) in 2-3 years. That is of course, if I managed to convince my wife that I've made a fortune somewhere else to cover for the price.. :D

Pulserider

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
Coming from Android devices. I must say that my Nokia 720 handset with Windows Phone 8 is the best! Comparing Nokia "big screen" devices to Samsung "big devices" with the Android OS. Nokia is much more easier to operate then with the Samsung S3 for example. You can manage to get away with one hand operation on the Nokia, but with the Samsung running Android...it could be a difficult task to do if you have smaller or even normal hands.:winktongue: Windows Phone is just a rocker! :cool:

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
-Live Tiles (Shows notifications effortlessly)
-Lockscreen notifications
-Extremely smooth UI
-A minimum hardware standard for phones ensures good performance (Ex. a minimum 1Ghz Dual core and 512MB RAM, compare this with android, where you have 800Mhz and octa cores too!)
-Updates, yes Nokia & MS do them!
-Security, since there is no piracy the device is secure from stupid things and malwares
-Usability, the device is really very usable and easy to understand + customizeable
-Battery life, since it does not run background tasks battery is saved to a great extent
-Stability, do i really need to say anything?
-1 Handed operation, 100% possible vs. others where icons are spread throughout the screen and you need 2, sometimes 3 hands to do things which you can do using 1 finger!
-Button placement (Atleast in Nokia) is standard so its extremely convenient to power on/off the device, switch volume or take pics, many phones require you to re position your phone in your hand and it MAY cause a drop!

I don't play games on the phone or on a console so am not sure what makes xbox integration great.

markyjns

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to chime in regarding the teenage cool factor, my 14 yr old Nephew is having a HTC 8S or X for his birthday late in June.

His mum has an iPhone and when she asked him why the WP8 was his phone of choice, all his school friends think its more advanced, cooler and just much better looking and the iPhone outdated. So a view that's about cool rather than 'spec'

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I just wanted to chime in regarding the teenage cool factor, my 14 yr old Nephew is having a HTC 8S or X for his birthday late in June.

His mum has an iPhone and when she asked him why the WP8 was his phone of choice, all his school friends think its more advanced, cooler and just much better looking and the iPhone outdated. So a view that's about cool rather than 'spec'

My wife and I got our Lumia 920's about a month ago. My 16 year old daughter, who has an iPhone now, started messing with our phones and is now ready to get her own. So another example of the 'cool factor'

lce123

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Re: The good things about WP8 (Why WP will succeed)

Allow me to start....

1. Zune/Xbox Music integration (hey, if you got an Xbox Music Pass, it'll work here!)
  2. MS Office integration
  3. People Hub drawing up contacts from all the social networks, sometimes automatically linking contacts together (although this has been wrong on me in the past, but hey, at least it tried!)
  4. Xbox LIVE integration. Play games on your phone, earn Xbox LIVE Gamerscore. Score!
  5. All your social feeds, all in one place (minus Instagram)
  6. SkyDrive Integration - which comes with a whooping 7GB free space!

Is just so true, Microsoft have their hands in everything, just the intergration alone makes it a better OS that iOS and android is a pile of *Forum*!

Andre Esteves

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I think the performance on low end devices is a plus because Android low end devices tend to be less responsive with higher versions (4.0+).

baroiic

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Even High end Android devices are far behind in fluidness. I have both WP and android(oppo find 5), and i never use my find 5. I just can't stand The hickups on that Android Device.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Moin Syed

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 520 is my first WP8 device

I like the OS but the choice of apps is terrible for an OS which has been for close to 2 years.

The response is fast and smooth compared to Android and even iOS but even the basic apps like music, whatsapp need long time to on par with expectations. I dont even want to start with non basic apps. Nokia was the reason I bought a WP8 phone, 520 bcos its the cheapest and didnt want to take chance with a new OS.

I think if the basic apps get better, I think WP8 should succeed reasonably.

But practically speaking it has a long way to go to match iOS or Android

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I think the performance on low end devices is a plus because Android low end devices tend to be less responsive with higher versions (4.0+).

Absolutely. And not to forget, Android will be celebrating its 5th birthday along with a lot of beefy hardware, whereas WP is just out with its second iteration, with absolutely no hardware to brag about, but is more stable than before. And it only gets better. :)

anon6011652

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Obviously WP will must success for many reasons.. Like everybody mentioned in earlier posts..

iOS & Android OS both are same.. Duplicate copy to each other.. Though Android is popular nowadays, But it seems to be almost all companies (Like-Samsung, Htc, SonyEricsson, Motorola, LG .etc) are using same OS..
It's the most boring thing for me..
Whereas few years ago, every single company was running their own OS.. It was better than todays...

Thanks to Nokia, because of totally avoiding Android os..

Few things I wanna mention about WP os.

??No chance to piracy.. 100% protected.. App developers will satisfy to work with WP platform..

??Just with a single Microsoft account, Users can Backup all things in online.. So there is no way to lost anything.. ( Specially I loved the Restore process, because after Hard reset, it's automatically restore to my previous settings and download previous chosen app automatically)...

??Social networking is now very close to our hands.. Superbly integrated in People, Message, Pictures.etc Hubs... I don't need to use any third party apps for social networking..

??Tiles system, Hub system, Applications interface.etc totally different from any other os..

??About customization.. Actually I wanna give thanks to Microsoft, to get rid us from theme making; or any other customization..

Only I Can Say, Windows Phone is very "UNIQUE"...

cw1988

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
I love wp8 and throughout my life inc career its always been based solely around windows products.

It is super exciting to be involved with such a fast growing and evolving environment with wp8 and w8.

Even more so with the management adjustments at microsoft, things can only go up.

I always try and keep an open mind when it comes to windows products, look at everything subjectively instead of letting my inner software developer ****** cone out and i haven't been disappointed yet.

:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb