Will Windows Mobile ever succeed?

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
WP has and will continue to work for me and my spouse. I'm 60 and the other half is 71 and has Alzheimer's and the main screen works so well. The full width life tile for weather at the top of the screen. Then large photo tiles of me and siblings for direct dial plus a dialer tile for any other calls. Last is Chronos Live tile full width with lots of famliy dates, birthdays, anniversaries and a nice picture of the home place at the farm as the background. It's great for low vision and bad memory, what more could we want. Can you imagine us trying to use an Android phone or iphone, hell no, just saying.

Here here!
I truly believe the Windows Phone has crossed a bridge when it comes to the older user.
AT 61 years of age I have no fear of tech, yet many in the age range do.

Anytime I look at the home UI it makes sense and even seems to cancel out chaos for me.
I find WP8 and perhaps beyond the way of the future for many of us that recognize it's welcoming simplicity.

This beginning user is in hope the Windows phone way of life will become the standard for many who choose artful execution over popularity.

KSilcox

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site
The shared experience between the office pc, home pc and Windows phone which Microsoft is continually improving on is what makes me love my Surface Pro 2, full gaming pc with win8.1 at home and my new Lumia 1520 phone in my pocket. The experience is unmatched on any other platform.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
because it allows Nokia to manufacture economically affordable handsets like Lumia 525 with almost everything one needs :) Super interface(Unlike boring Android or IOS and that's what attracted me to WP)...awesome RAM, awesome processor..fab storage capacity..upgradable to 8.1..actually..WP will succeed if Nokia will continue to make such phones...and that's the reason why MS bought Nokia..Love and Likes for Nokia continues and eventually for WP :)

MARKjotep

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I love Windows Phone!!
and my 920!

-I can type efficiently using the current QWERTY keyboard even without focusing my eyes at the keyboard and it will be more efficient once I updated the KB with word flow..

- Messaging, people hub and the dial pad are easy to use!

-GLANCE!! (i know its lumia exclusive) lol.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The dialer sucks. No smart dial. The SMS app has no customizations whatsoever. Really regretting buying this obsolete 1520. It's a huge step backwards.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Obsolete? LoL. Drama much?
It's different than what you're used to. The whole philosophy behind the design is different. There are many features that WP has that other phones don't. That doesn't make those order phones obsolete.

You may regret your ppurchase because what you are looking for differs. But obsolete? LoL

It's missing a massive amount of features that have been stock in smart phones for years.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Feature parity does take a while. Thankfully they're adding them at a pretty good pace.

There's nothing wrong with not liking your phone because it doesn't do stuff your other phone did. But I just thought the "obsolete" comment was funny. You know that you were being a little dramatic there.

Hopefully the updates keep coming fast and furious. I'm really happy with 8.1, but I totally understand that some people are used to other features that WP doesn't have yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Genghis7777

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
It's interesting that the latest Android announcements include features and design elements that mimic Windows Phone according to Thurrott. That's a salute to Microsoft. These days everyone seems to copy each other's features without embarrassment. Windows Phone just has to keep innovating relentlessly whilst match teaching with its rivals. Blackberry once looked unassailable, as did Apple. Currently Android does. Microsoft has every reason to press on.

Sent from my RM-915_apac_australia_new_zealand_214 using Tapatalk

anon(5767625)

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
It's interesting that the latest Android announcements include features and design elements that mimic Windows Phone according to Thurrott. That's a salute to Microsoft. These days everyone seems to copy each other's features without embarrassment. Windows Phone just has to keep innovating relentlessly whilst match teaching with its rivals. Blackberry once looked unassailable, as did Apple. Currently Android does. Microsoft has every reason to press on.

Sent from my RM-915_apac_australia_new_zealand_214 using Tapatalk
Of course Android will copy the features of WP. Google must be looking on jealousy at the great success Microsoft are having and 'thinking 'if only we could be like them'.

StephanW

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Of course Android will copy the features of WP. Google must be looking on jealousy at the great success Microsoft are having and 'thinking 'if only we could be like them'.

You're serious about this? I mean, Windows Phone is pretty much okay but Google has no reason to even be remotely jealous at Microsoft at all. It's perhaps Samsung who could be jealous. And if you say Samsung you can say Apple, but they got their iPhone which is an outstanding product so no, no jealousy from them.

My first guess why Windows Phone will succeed is the "freshness" of the product. It's actually a cool product. And that's a first from Microsoft (for me).

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
You're serious about this? I mean, Windows Phone is pretty much okay but Google has no reason to even be remotely jealous at Microsoft at all. It's perhaps Samsung who could be jealous. And if you say Samsung you can say Apple, but they got their iPhone which is an outstanding product so no, no jealousy from them.

My first guess why Windows Phone will succeed is the "freshness" of the product. It's actually a cool product. And that's a first from Microsoft (for me).

Agree. No reason for either Apple or Google to be jealous considering the way they dominate the market. Yes, WP is refreshing and it grows on you. Love how stable and elegant the OS is.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WPCentral Forums mobile app

tsr1983

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I agree with most the comments. It got a sleek design without too much bloatware, it's fast to use (even the small models) and is a great platform to develop apps for :)

Usamanwar

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
In my opinion Android is much open which makes it vulnerable to viruses and malicious softwares on the other hand iOS is very close and impose much restrictions on users. Windows phone is a mix of both.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Mods, I respectfully request this thread be closed immediately! This is a flagrant attempt to uplift WP and it cannot be tolerated. If there's no gloom-and-doom associated with WP or Microsoft's demise, it must be banished to the trash heap of history. What will children think if they come across a thread such as this one?

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Att will be one of the killers of WP. My few local shops hate WP and rarely sell them . Went today for a payment and they kept questioning me on why I like windowsphone stop much! I got so pissed and left!

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Att will be one of the killers of WP. My few local shops hate WP and rarely sell them . Went today for a payment and they kept questioning me on why I like windowsphone stop much! I got so pissed and left!

Although I don't always recommend this, you can try repeating my response to the local store manager who kept on and on about my Ativ S Neo. I told him that because my WP operates so well and so trouble free, I don't have to come here all the time and see his sorry iPhone-loving as*. I'm 6'1 and 220 lbs. so it's easier for me to tell someone to shove it. YMMV.

fshrago

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Why I switched to Android and can't wait to come back to Windows phone

I have had a windows phone since the days of the HP ipaq. Through windows mobile 6 HTC hd7 and finally lumia 920.

A few months ago I was forced to switch to an android phone. The sole reason for this was the lack of apps. Now I know that most international big name apps are available for Windows phone, but I am talking about the smaller, more localised apps. Banking, credit cards, health services etc. These all come out for Android and iPhone but windows phone rarely gets a mention.

Once I decided to make the switch (to Android) I researched the best quality camera, fastest and most cost effective. I came out with the Galaxy s5. Boy am I disappointed. The quality of the camera is terrible (unless what you are taking a photo of is standing still). The speed is pretty fast for an android, but in comparison, it takes me almost 50% longer to take a photo and attach it to an email to send, than on my lumia.

However the worst thing I have found, and this is a global problem with Android, is the use of the phone while driving. With Windows phone, to make a call, you press the Bluetooth button and cortana immediately starts talking to you. With Android, you can only start Google now after physically switching the phone on, entering your code, and then getting to the home screen. While driving, this is simple dangerous (and probably illegal)

Why is Microsoft not pushing this?

Also, cortana reads me text messages. Also not available on Android.

The built in Windows keyboard is far superior to any of the Android ones I have been forced to try.

In all, I am disappointed that android is not the greatest thing it is hyped to be. But I am more disappointed that Microsoft is unable to market properly the differences that make windows phone a better overall product (in my opinion!)

I hope that Microsoft will be able to market windows phone 10 better, both to the market and, I think, more importantly, to developers.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss