Camera comparision between Lumia 920 and iPhone 5

tebugg

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
very good demo. I'm curious as to why the Nokia video is so spherical at slow rotation shots. seems the software is faulting? the image stabilization mostly looks odd, opposed to obvious shocks from walking in the iPhone clip.

I'd rally like to see all three cameras on a steady rig , to really show off the capabilities. it might show more problems in image quality though I'm afraid.

doesnt look "spherical" to me. actually the colors in the 920 video look more rich to me like they werent being exposed to a brightening filter.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Fluorescent lighting is definitely a problem for the 920. It almost feels like the sun is shining down on the camera lens, thus causing a "glare" effect. I noticed that my sister's Iphone 5 doesn't exaggerate that lighting nearly as much. This is a picture of me at the mall. What you see above is only meant to be the sunlight coming through a large window. Mind you, it wasn't even bright that day. Pre-Portico btw.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=16A7267A2C5ABC5E!160&authkey=!AOhn6FNrEQ3vgdI

However, in terms of "real" colors, meaning how the picture color/quality wise looks compared to the real thing, I will say the 920 does a better job. You can only really tell if you're there in person to see the difference.

NorthPark Mall?

rareohs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Yeah i know what you mean. Samsung Focus has an option for spot metering. L920 doesn't. With CameraPro you can point your camera at the subject, lock the exposure and recompose. It's a bit different than straight spot metering but it does the same job. I think Fhotoroom has a direct spot metering option where you have indepedent control of AF and AE areas. But I'm not sure it works very well though.

Since you rec'd Camera Pro.. am I missing something here or are you locked into 4:3 ratio?? I can't seem to find a place to get to 16:9 ratio within CameraPro?

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, its indoor low light situation. I can't tell my nieces to stand perfectly still for half a second to get a good photo without flash and extending exposure time. Never had a problem with any other camera phone in this situation. Am I the only person who actually takes pics of people?

I don't need flash as long as there are some light sources in the room.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Since you rec'd Camera Pro.. am I missing something here or are you locked into 4:3 ratio?? I can't seem to find a place to get to 16:9 ratio within CameraPro?

There is a MP number in the upper left side. Tap on it to change the ratio.

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I could care less about the iPhone shooter. I know its a good one but the Lumia shooter should stand on its own. That being said I do have the Droid DNA HTC 8 megapixel shooter to compare with and I must admit that images in most everyday lighting situations the HTC shooter produces consistently sharper images with warmer color saturation. Nokia has crafted a great camera hardware wise it just needs to tighten things up a little when it comes to post shutter release processing. Is the 920 a bad shooter? Not. At all. It can be MUCH better if Nokia locks down the pre and post processing with a firmware update.

sanders2232

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I could care less about the iPhone shooter. I know its a good one but the Lumia shooter should stand on its own. That being said I do have the Droid DNA HTC 8 megapixel shooter to compare with and I must admit that images in most everyday lighting situations the HTC shooter produces consistently sharper images with warmer color saturation. Nokia has crafted a great camera hardware wise it just needs to tighten things up a little when it comes to post shutter release processing. Is the 920 a bad shooter? Not. At all. It can be MUCH better if Nokia locks down the pre and post processing with a firmware update.

Ya the HTC DNA would be nice to see some comparison shots. My buddy has one and at first glance the camera looked pretty nice!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The 920 comes second in terms overall functionality of the camera... at least the way I see it.

wow that is with 808?
It surprises me every time...its almost counter intuitive to expect such quality from a smartphone, but.. it does deliver. When people ask me "is the camera on this thing really that good?" I usually sent them this link with images I've taken in the past 6 months.. all sorts of different conditions so it kind of shows the broad range of effective usage, which I think its the strongest point.

https://skydrive.live.com/pagenotfounderror

How do you like the OS on the 808? I really like windows 8.

It works for me.. I prefer it over iOS 6 overall, but I am by no means "most people" ..

Aldiggi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Not to ruffle any feathers here but the consistency of the i5 has me choosing it as the current smartphone camera king. I own both and its just with the 920 I am always retaking pictures. Sorry but no need to spend 2 minutes adjusting this and adjusting that just to get the right shot. I love both but prefer the convenience and reliability of the i5 camera. 920 camera is good not great. I can post a link of my thread on howardforums of my 5mp lg sv550. That was 6 years ago and it will embarrass the 920.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I love it how people ask about the camera in day light and people come in talking about the video or the low light mode. Not everyone is in low light all the time, you guys. People say, "look at the package or the great night shots you get!" and that may be true but not everyone is focused on those areas. People want shots that are up to par with the latest flagship phones. What may be good for you doesn't translate to other people. I love my lumia 920 but I find myself in positions in daylight where I want a good picture. I want to go to Paris in daytime and take great shots of the Eiffel tower or other monuments and not have them come out fuzzy or have the whites off. I love the lowlight performance but I want great performance overall.
:/

Aldiggi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I love it how people ask about the camera in day light and people come in talking about the video or the low light mode. Not everyone is in low light all the time, you guys. People say, "look at the package or the great night shots you get!" and that may be true but not everyone is focused on those areas. People want shots that are up to par with the latest flagship phones. What may be good for you doesn't translate to other people. I love my lumia 920 but I find myself in positions in daylight where I want a good picture. I want to go to Paris in daytime and take great shots of the Eiffel tower or other monuments and not have them come out fuzzy or have the whites off. I love the lowlight performance but I want great performance overall.
:/

That is just exactly how I feel.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Not to ruffle any feathers here but the consistency of the i5 has me choosing it as the current smartphone camera king. I own both and its just with the 920 I am always retaking pictures. Sorry but no need to spend 2 minutes adjusting this and adjusting that just to get the right shot. I love both but prefer the convenience and reliability of the i5 camera. 920 camera is good not great. I can post a link of my thread on howardforums of my 5mp lg sv550. That was 6 years ago and it will embarrass the 920.

Not sure what you are talking about. People don't need to adjust this and that to get good shots with the 920. There are hundreds of great photos here and on flickr that prove that. It's just couple folks here and there talking about using finer controls to get the most out of it. You should expect people talking about things like that in a forum like this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion