What the heck happened to USAA app?

ronjon77

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately I recieved this email from USAA just yesterday. Looks like all the rumors of a new app are false.

Dear Mr. Plante,

Thank you for your message regarding the USAA App for Windows. I am sorry, however, due to the limited adoption by our members and the industry at large, we are not releasing a USAA Mobile App for Windows Phone 8 at this time.

We will continually monitor industry and member trends to help determine what devices and platforms we develop mobile applications for. Adoption trends change over time. As the Windows Phone adoption grows we will determine when to re-enter the Windows Phone Marketplace.

I value your business and the opportunity to serve all your financial needs.

Thank you,
Jesse Gonzales
USAA

USAA means United Services Automobile Association and its affiliates.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I noticed they changed something on USAA's side within the last couple of days... I had downloaded the USAA app for my 920 before they pulled it... It used to have a blue background when I was on the accounts page... It is now white and isn't the same theme of the rest of the app.

Anyhow, I downloaded the USAA WP7 app and am going to try and install it manually on my new 1520 when it gets here. I have my doubts that it won't install though, as the WP site says it is only for WP7 & 7.5 on the download page.

USAA | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I noticed they changed something on USAA's side within the last couple of days... I had downloaded the USAA app for my 920 before they pulled it... It used to have a blue background when I was on the accounts page... It is now white and isn't the same theme of the rest of the app.

Anyhow, I downloaded the USAA WP7 app and am going to try and install it manually on my new 1520 when it gets here. I have my doubts that it won't install though, as the WP site says it is only for WP7 & 7.5 on the download page.

USAA | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

I tried it on my 928 (dev unlocked), and it doesn't work.

Ari69

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Although some are hearing that the USAA app is not being worked on, I'm here to tell you that it is. They are actually beta testing internally (which I'm trying to get on the list) and I've even seen screenshots of the app. Please don't get discouraged, it is coming. I have been told that there will be no official announcement so as soon as I hear something, I'll let you guys know.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Although some are hearing that the USAA app is not being worked on, I'm here to tell you that it is. They are actually beta testing internally (which I'm trying to get on the list) and I've even seen screenshots of the app. Please don't get discouraged, it is coming. I have been told that there will be no official announcement so as soon as I hear something, I'll let you guys know.

I hope you are right. My 1520 should be here today :D

msdugn

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, Ari - but you underscore why I left USAA over their lack of a WP8 app: They haven't communicated squat.

I was very disappointed that an online bank that likes pushing the envelope with new technologies ended up being in absolute last place with a WP8 app (that still doesn't exist). But the fact that we have to hear from a good natured and willing-to-help fella like yourself instead of from USAA cinched it for me.

I left USAA's banking accounts months ago over the lack of a WP8 app (I had to use the kids' first generation iPad to deposit checks since my brand-new WP8 has never been able to). When WP8 finally gets an app, they're already very late to the party since the majority of mainstream banks already have WP8 apps that allow check deposits via snapshot.

Other banks invited me over. USAA did nothing to keep me. Sorry USAA. It was good knowing ya.

bradbamford

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site

I too hope you're right...if you can capture pictures of the app running on an employee phone that would do a lot for morale.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Please do not violate your NDA and follow this bad advice.

Agreed. While it would be great for those of us who want the app, it would not be so great to lose your job for posting a picture. Keep your job. Christmas is a lousy time to be unemployed.

Ari69

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for understanding. I actually got on the beta today and have been trying out the app. It's a little different than the iPhone app due to Metro interface but still very usable. And yes, quick logon is an available setting. It's looking good guys. Perhaps you'll get this as a Christmas present :).

Ari69

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, Ari - but you underscore why I left USAA over their lack of a WP8 app: They haven't communicated squat.

I was very disappointed that an online bank that likes pushing the envelope with new technologies ended up being in absolute last place with a WP8 app (that still doesn't exist). But the fact that we have to hear from a good natured and willing-to-help fella like yourself instead of from USAA cinched it for me.

I left USAA's banking accounts months ago over the lack of a WP8 app (I had to use the kids' first generation iPad to deposit checks since my brand-new WP8 has never been able to). When WP8 finally gets an app, they're already very late to the party since the majority of mainstream banks already have WP8 apps that allow check deposits via snapshot.

Other banks invited me over. USAA did nothing to keep me. Sorry USAA. It was good knowing ya.

This is understandable and I'm sorry to hear that you left such a great organization. Perhaps one day you'll reconsider coming back.

ritterjs

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Ari, just a thought: I've used the USAA mobile site just fine on my Lumia 822, however there are 2 things that make it undesirable. First, no quick logon. Second, no mobile check deposit. If the mobile site is HTML5, why doesn't the USAA crew just add those features along with mirroring the feature set like the iPhone app? CNN.com is an excellent example. It's mobile site is nearly identical to the app on any of the mobile platforms. I'm a firm believer in full featured HTML5 mobile sites because it eliminates the need to create an app for each of the various mobile OS's, and you only have one service to maintain.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for understanding. I actually got on the beta today and have been trying out the app. It's a little different than the iPhone app due to Metro interface but still very usable. And yes, quick logon is an available setting. It's looking good guys. Perhaps you'll get this as a Christmas present :).
Thanks for the update, Ari. Let us know whatever you can. Meaning whatever you're ALLOWED to. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb