IPhone Beating Nokia 10-to-1 Leaves U.S. Effort in Doubt

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
And I know some of you will say that the US Is not everything but that percentage of consumers does count for a lot.
As mentioned in the article, it is too early to tell what will happen with regards to WP8 and the US Market. Microsoft / Nokia also needs to up the ante ALOT on the marketing. Customers need to be more aware of Windows Phone.

"“Customers just don’t know what they can get,” Jeronimo said. “They’re not familiar with the apps, services or what the phone can do. This is something Nokia must change.”"

IPhone Beating Nokia 10-to-1 Leaves U.S. Effort in Doubt - Bloomberg

Casl4V

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 920 and my wife has a 900...the kids each have an iPhone 5 (thank goodness for corporate discounts). In every way shape and form I think the Nokia's are way better. However, the teens absolutely are spellbound by "iDevice X." I don't know how Microsoft and/or Nokia can cause a cultural change in one or two generation of phones/apps nor should they be expected to. Microsoft has the deep pockets for a prolonged fight and with Apple's stock finally starting to undergo the correction it needs, things may not be as bleak as one might think.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
As far as getting recognition out there, maybe take the phone out of the hands of the tech press and do the advertising yourself. Do something radical like half hour infomercials during primetime all about WP on high profile networks. Or do a concert special with todays hottest music acts performing in one segment and then showing off WP and its features in another.

And I know this is beating a dead horse. But something has to be done about the missing major apps. Whether you personally use them or not, their omission is glaring. I'm sure the WP team is working hard to do something about it. Maybe something radical like creating their own services or buying a vimeo or fhotoroom is Google or Instagram refuse to create official apps.

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Well the Nokias are very poorly displayed in the UK, could be the same in the USA. Apple usually have their own POS/display section in the phone shops i've been in; the nokias were just dumped on a corner shelf where you need to search them out.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
It's worse than 10-1. It's more like 12-1 on AT&T alone, assuming AT&T sold all 700,000 phones, which they didn't, obviously. Instead, it was 700,000 across all of North America, so truthfully it's however many iPhones sold in North America divided by 700,000. Verizon sold 6.2 million, so just adding in Verizon it's 18-1. Adding in Sprint makes it 20-1.

Sucks because what it means, given that only half of the iPhones sold were iPhone 5s. Means people are opting for cheap iPhone 4/S instead of competing cheaper phones.

JMBasquiat

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How is this a surprise? Apple has name recognition in the US and Nokia does not (it is slowly working to fix that). iPhones will sell simply because they're iPhones; people want to have an iPhone because their friends have an iPhone, and they've heard "they're the best". People willing to change their phone to something else, or those bored with the iPhone are a relatively small part of the smartphone-buying crowd. That's where Nokia comes in. Hence the 10-1.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The problem is advertising. For some reason, Nokia and Microsoft absolutely REFUSE to advertise features and functions of WP8 devices in US. I don't know why, but they do. Have you seen iPhone 5 ads with Panorama and noise cancelling mics? Great ads, stupid.. but great for average consumers. Have you seen WP ads? Yeah, the ******ed celebrity endorsements that nobody cares about. How many people actually bought a Lumia or any WP device because of those ads? Microsoft doesn't know how to advertise, it's plain and simple. Nokia should've used OIS to advertise like they did during unveiling. Yeah, we remember those pictures, even the harshest critics were shocked. They should also advertise Cinemagraph and Smartshoot.

spyderzWPC

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I know it seems like nokia is not doing anything, but I have noticed when I am out at night more and more people actually having nokia devices.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Are companies not allowed to try to grow sales anymore? If something doesn't sell better than the competition at launch, then that product is doomed?

And articles like this help in what way?

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Haha, so a newcomer to the market is not selling as well as the most iconic smartphone company that essentially invented the modern smartphone. Right, who'd have thought that would happen!

Xellsama

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Well if you think about it, iPhone's market share among smartphones in the US is about 51%, Windows Phone in general (not just 8, definitely not just Lumia 920) is about 2.6%. Apple has 20 times more market shares. Which means, if this trend is to continue for Apple, they need to be selling iPhones at least at 20 to 1. Now, as someone said above, counting in all carriers Apple is selling at this ratio, but only towards Lumia phones (WP8 only too). While the other companies, such as HTC and Samsung, are not currently making as much sales as Nokia, together they would add a good amount as well, making the ratio less than what it needs to be for Apple.

Along with the facts that 1) Lumia supplys are catching up; 2) Verizon confirmed to have more Windows Phone 8 coming; 3) Sprint confirmed to have more WP8 coming; 4) Asus, Lenovo among others are also considering making WP8s; mathematically Windows Phone 8 is really catching up, albeit slowly.

No one expects WP8 to be selling at the same rate as iphones or androids at this time, and it probably won't even get close in the short term, but the fact is that they are selling at a faster rate than their market share indicates, which is, a good thing to know.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Owners are the biggest marketers.

iPhones got big because people showed a friend and said "here, looks at this". And friends saw something they said WOW to.

If you're excited about your phones, friends will take a look...

However the biggest downer no matter how good the hardware/OS is is the 'does it have all the apps' question. To which the answer of course is NO... Microsoft seriously need to push this BIG TIME, paying for apps if required.

madsedan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I love my 920 but I had to give up some things to switch from the iphone, seems silly but stuff like having to get all new accesories to function with the new device, loosing capability to work nicele with my car stereo, and many apps that we used regularly just not on WM8 yet.

About a month after I got the 920 my wife decided she liked the larger display and instead of getting an iphone 5 she replaced her 4 with an HTC 8x. Just like me it took a few days to adapt to the new OS and find stuff on the phone, but the inability to operate through her car stereo the same as well as some critical missing apps that she needs for convenience and work killed it, 3 weeks later she traded it back in for a new 5 and loves it.

That sums up 90% or more of your smart phone users. They aren't technical enough to get over the little stuff and find other ways to do them on the new device or overlook missing things in because they have a superior device. They are willing to spend the same or more money for, what is in many ways, an inferior product because its comfortable and easy to use for them. And lets be honest here, Siri is great, I haven't seen anything else that works as well, and watching my wife seamlessly use it in day to day for scheduling and even verifying her schedule on certain days is pretty neat.

I keep the 920 because I love it, but I hate the fact that the gmail doesn't work as easily and it f-ing kills me that I can't plug my phone into the usb adaptor in my car and charge the phone while using the head unit to control music like I did on the iphone. And everytime we have to deposit a check my wife bust my balls about not having a functioning Chase app to make deposits. But I overlook because I love the device for everything else.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Haha, so a newcomer to the market is not selling as well as the most iconic smartphone company that essentially invented the modern smartphone. Right, who'd have thought that would happen!

Rolls eyes. You do know that Nokia and Palm essentially invented the smartphone? And then never bothered innovating or developing their respective products, right? And that Nokia released its first "smartphone" in 1996, right?

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I keep the 920 because I love it, but I hate the fact that the gmail doesn't work as easily and it f-ing kills me that I can't plug my phone into the usb adaptor in my car and charge the phone while using the head unit to control music like I did on the iphone. And everytime we have to deposit a check my wife bust my balls about not having a functioning Chase app to make deposits. But I overlook because I love the device for everything else.

There is a Chase app in the store that claims to do deposits..

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Rolls eyes. You do know that Nokia and Palm essentially invented the smartphone? And then never bothered innovating or developing their respective products, right? And that Nokia released its first "smartphone" in 1996, right?

I'm guessing he means WP8.. not Nokia...

At least.. I'm hoping that's what he meant... :|

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm guessing he means WP8.. not Nokia...

At least.. I'm hoping that's what he meant... :|

Hopefully.. I think part of the problem is Nokia never took off in the US, even in the dumbphone era. I've still got my old Nokia 8210 that cockroaches will be using to make calls after the nuclear apocalypse, but I only had a Nokia phone because I lived abroad for a long time. Nokia as a company has no mindshare in the US, unlike Europe where people remember the Nokia of old fondly.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site

Lots of companies develop products ahead of their time, so what's your point?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb