Blackberry 10 Getting Gameloft Games before WP8?

Alexandre Donnert

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft needs to make some strong changes on WP8, add some basics functions that all the other platforms had, including the dead Symbiam, improve the best functions on WP8 and make something new, to make the costumers want his phone... Because the new Windows phone 8 is becoming old, against all the other TOP 3 OSs ... Microsoft, C'mon ... Let us happy, not worried with your product, our OS.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I've said it once and I'll say it again: Microsoft doesn't know what they're doing, so they deliver broken promises. If it was so easy to port over these games (I think they said around 2 weeks of porting) why wouldn't they be available BEFORE launch, let alone 3 months AFTER the release of the platform...?

Once Microsoft shows they're serious and committed to Windows Phone, I'll give them another look. I love this OS more than anything else out, even with missing features, but Microsoft is acting like Windows Phone is a pet project of some sort.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft needs to make some strong changes on WP8, add some basics functions that all the other platforms had, including the dead Symbiam, improve the best functions on WP8 and make something new, to make the costumers want his phone... Because the new Windows phone 8 is becoming old, against all the other TOP 3 OSs ... Microsoft, C'mon ... Let us happy, not worried with your product, our OS.

Ive seen this same comment in 3 different threads so far. Its not made sense in any of the threads its been on. What basic functions? Improve what best functions? How can an OS become old after 4 months?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Of course they will get the games before WP8 - Questions youve got to ask is how well will they run seeing as they will be quick android ports sideloaded into BB10 using Andriod Gingerbread?

And put it into perspective if it takes a whole team of devs two weeks to convert a game to WP8 compared to a couple of devs spending half a day doing the conversion to BB10 whats going to get done first? The gameloft team have probably got one guy doing the WP8 game conversions to keep it cost effective while the rest of the team work on updates for their existing titles so they can continue to make money from iOS and Android. WP8 will get the games and they will be proper ports rather than half baked gingerbread sideloads.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Of course they will get the games before WP8 - Questions youve got to ask is how well will they run seeing as they will be quick android ports sideloaded into BB10 using Andriod Gingerbread?

And put it into perspective if it takes a whole team of devs two weeks to convert a game to WP8 compared to a couple of devs spending half a day doing the conversion to BB10 whats going to get done first? The gameloft team have probably got one guy doing the WP8 game conversions to keep it cost effective while the rest of the team work on updates for their existing titles so they can continue to make money from iOS and Android. WP8 will get the games and they will be proper ports rather than half baked gingerbread sideloads.

Hmmm no. Did you just make this up? Why? You had to make it up.

The games will be proper ports.

anon(2523636)

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Its estimated that 40% of the BB10 launch titles will be Android apps wrappered and running it the Android emulation mode. If it runs anything like the emulator on the BB Playbook it will be a pretty poor experience.
The other thing with BB is its their last throw of the dice as a company. No sales of BB10 = no more company. They are guaranteeing revenue to developers, paying them lots of money.
In comparison, if WinPho fails its only a tiny part of MS business. The only company depending on WinPho is Nokia (& even they could knock out an Android phone pretty quick if needed).

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
In comparison, if WinPho fails its only a tiny part of MS business. The only company depending on WinPho is Nokia (& even they could knock out an Android phone pretty quick if needed).

I think that this is an understatement, to say that it is simply a "tiny part" of MS. As Nintendo and Sega can attest to, a game console is not guaranteed from one generation to the next. I don't doubt that the next Xbox will sell like crazy without issue, it might be foolish to say it is a 100% lock. We're already seeing tablets eat away at the PC market, and we haven't seen Windows 8 taking up enough of those sales to justify the losses in PC sales, so there is arguably some negative long-term growth there as well. After that, you have Office. That will have little trouble because it is so entrenched in businesses.

However, we can see that the future is in touchscreen devices, when it comes to casual consumers. If tablets are not selling well enough with Windows and Windows Phone fails, then you end up with a situation like the company formerly known as RIM had--you're surviving on the kindness of businesses, and if they ever realize they can survive without you, it's a big problem.

That's the overstated negative version of what you said, though. Losing out with Windows Phone might not kill the company, or even do major harm, but it would be a VERY bad thing to have the Zune fail, the Kin fail, Windows Phone fail, and have people (unfairly) bashing Windows 8. It could then be argued that they've had 4 straight failures in products, and it would probably mean the Surface failed as well, which would say that they would likely avoid the hardware business for good, and then stick to just a company of Windows, Office, and Xbox, with little innovation.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
^ He was actually correct. Windows phone is "tiny" to Microsoft. In fact the Windows Phone division is lumped in with the entertainment division of Microsoft that includes the Xbox. This division makes up a whooping 5% of Microsoft.

Bee Mon

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Mobile games are written to use OpenGL while Windows Phone 8 games use DirectX so yes it will be easier to port Android games to Blackberry rather than to Windows Phone 8 so its not surprising if Blackberry gets them first. It will be more easier to get a Windows 8 + Xbox Live game onto Windows Phone rather than porting it from another mobile platform. However IMHO, existing Window developers might be more interested into getting their DirectX games on Windows 8 and Xbox Live first before even taking a look at Windows Phone while existing mobile game developers would continue to concentrate on OpenGL platforms like IPhone, Android, Blackberry and OUYA. So its no wonder that Microsoft has to go out and buy a mobile game developer for Windows Phone in the meantime. I believe great exclusive Window games will eventually come to Windows Phone 8 but the question is when and are you willing to wait? For me personally, I like my Windows Phone and I don't play a lot of games or need Instagram so this is not a big issue for me. I also find Windows Phone as the easiest platform for me to learn and develop app and games. We're already registered on the Windows Phone and Windows 8 store but it will take a few months for us to release any of our games as we're only doing them on a part time basis. I hope if you like the platform as I do that you can stay on and support passionate indie developers on Windows Phone to grow and create great apps and games on this great OS.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon