ProShot camera app.

yeewiz

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
@RiseUpGames, what a slick app! I just bought this app as a result of this thread. Man, I am impressed. My normal camera is a Nikon D300S so the mode button is familiar territory. To see it implemented in this phone is just awesome. Think you need to implement mode S and A. Just kidding :smile: (Edit: Just read FAQ, now realize you would have done it, except there is no aperture control)

Love the Grid line and level features.

Last edited:

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
@RiseUpGames, what a slick app! I just bought this app as a result of this thread. Man, I am impressed. My normal camera is a Nikon D300S so the mode button is familiar territory. To see it implemented in this phone is just awesome. Think you need to implement mode S and A. Just kidding :smile: (Edit: Just read FAQ, now realize you would have done it, except there is no aperture control)

Love the Grid line and level features.

Thank you!

And as semi-promised, I've officially announced on the ProShot site that v2.3 will introduce a self-timer as well as an intervalometer (with a few caveats, unfortunately...I'm going to mark it as beta for the time being). There will be a couple of other features and enhancements coming with v2.3, but I am not ready to talk about those yet. Stay tuned!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Okay guys, this thread has just got the dev another customer. I ended up buying it even though I believed Nokia's own firmware cannot be beaten by an app. But hoping that dev maintains his presence amongst us and we can help him come up with much polished and much feature rich experience in future, I just had to buy it!

However, first 20-ish pics in low light are grainy for me. As grainy as a 3MP camera on 200x zoom! What am I doing wrong?
Is there any set of optimum settings for both internal and external photo in low light and normal light conditions that anyone can share, please?

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Okay guys, this thread has just got the dev another customer. I ended up buying it even though I believed Nokia's own firmware cannot be beaten by an app. But hoping that dev maintains his presence amongst us and we can help him come up with much polished and much feature rich experience in future, I just had to buy it!

However, first 20-ish pics in low light are grainy for me. As grainy as a 3MP camera on 200x zoom! What am I doing wrong?
Is there any set of optimum settings for both internal and external photo in low light and normal light conditions that anyone can share, please?

Hi! Thank you very much for supporting us!
Do you happen to know which settings you were using? The Lumia 920 on auto mode seems to favor bumping the ISO before increasing the exposure time, so you may have been taking ISO 800 images, which is really hard for a tiny camera phone sensor to pull off. I'd recommend throwing ProShot into manual or one of the custom modes, setting ISO to 100, and setting your exposure time manually. I can consistently get solid handheld shots at 1/4s, and decent shots at 1/2s.

1101x10

May 27, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the trail and found setting the shutter speed slower than 1/2 second causes the app to crash. This is on a Lumia 620.

bradhicks

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok got me hooked as well after reading this thread and trialing the app for half an hour. Just purchased it as it looks great :)

Wish more app developers would join/interact with these types of communities.

bradhicks

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I was just trailing the app with my Lumia 920 and found in the trial version that if setting shutter speed to 4 the picture display on the screen after taking the shot would stutter (only updating the view on the screen every several seconds). Like all the processing power was taken up and it didn't have enough resources to refresh the screen. Maybe this along with your problem is something to do with the trial version not being able to save copies of a picture?
Not guaranteeing this will solve it, but I just purchased then app and am no longer having my issue when setting a slower shutter speed...

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I downloaded the trail and found setting the shutter speed slower than 1/2 second causes the app to crash. This is on a Lumia 620.

Thank you for the report! I don't have a 620 to test, but I am 100% certain this is a hardware issue. I will report the bug to Nokia.

Hi, I was just trailing the app with my Lumia 920 and found in the trial version that if setting shutter speed to 4 the picture display on the screen after taking the shot would stutter (only updating the view on the screen every several seconds). Like all the processing power was taken up and it didn't have enough resources to refresh the screen. Maybe this along with your problem is something to do with the trial version not being able to save copies of a picture?
Not guaranteeing this will solve it, but I just purchased then app and am no longer having my issue when setting a slower shutter speed...

When longer shutter speeds are used, the viewfinder does revert to a slower refresh rate for a few cycles. For example, after taking a 4s exposure, it'll take 8-12 seconds for the viewfinder to recover. This is not an issue with ProShot, but an issue with the hardware. Since these devices have electric shutters instead of mechanical ones, I think it's just the hardware taking a bit of time to restore its cycle to its 'normal' 30Hz.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I've bought this app! because this thread has intrigue my curiosity but no really though. Being an amateur photographer this is great, being able to control the shutter speed is great as well!!!

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi! Thank you very much for supporting us!
Do you happen to know which settings you were using? The Lumia 920 on auto mode seems to favor bumping the ISO before increasing the exposure time, so you may have been taking ISO 800 images, which is really hard for a tiny camera phone sensor to pull off. I'd recommend throwing ProShot into manual or one of the custom modes, setting ISO to 100, and setting your exposure time manually. I can consistently get solid handheld shots at 1/4s, and decent shots at 1/2s.

Ok that makes sense. Changing ISO did work. However am not sure where should I be changing exposure time. See, app devs make easiest apps sometimes but people who just point and shoot still cant get it right!

However, suggestion if its implementable - is there a way you could create "profiles" for each phone type. So may be the first run of app asks the user a couple of questions - choose your phone. Do you want me to set you the best options for your camera type?

Then based on answers, all values are adjusted to best for Lumia 920 or Lumia 620 or 8x owners. You might not know settings for all the phones but this community can help you by giving you optimum settings and then the way we can different white balance scenarios, we can choose an optimum profile for Lumia 920 indoors or Lumia 920 low light and everything sets automatically?

RiseUpGames

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Ok that makes sense. Changing ISO did work. However am not sure where should I be changing exposure time. See, app devs make easiest apps sometimes but people who just point and shoot still cant get it right!

However, suggestion if its implementable - is there a way you could create "profiles" for each phone type. So may be the first run of app asks the user a couple of questions - choose your phone. Do you want me to set you the best options for your camera type?

Then based on answers, all values are adjusted to best for Lumia 920 or Lumia 620 or 8x owners. You might not know settings for all the phones but this community can help you by giving you optimum settings and then the way we can different white balance scenarios, we can choose an optimum profile for Lumia 920 indoors or Lumia 920 low light and everything sets automatically?

In order to have access to exposure time, you have to be in either M, C1, or C2 modes. I will be integrating a tutorial into the next release that will hopefully explain ProShot a bit better. I apologize for not coming up with something like that sooner.

I like your profiles idea, but as more and more Windows Phones come out, maintaining such a database may prove a bit daunting. It is, however, a goal of mine with ProShot to educate those new to photography, as well as cater to the pros. The changes to v2.3 are tiny steps in that direction!

pennzoilgtr

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
however, a goal of mine with ProShot to educate those new to photography, as well as cater to the pros. The changes to v2.3 are tiny steps in that direction!

This app is so fun that it turned the lumia 920 from a p&s to a 'pro' camera phone! And to a extent, I just bought a tripod for that too.

ZiiimZooon

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Also what are the best settings for a more regular user who ain't really "pro" about photography? Right now I use:

Ratio: Auto (4:3/16:9)
Focus: Auto
Focus Override: All the way to the left
AF Assist Lamp: Off
ISO: 100
Color cast: Auto for the most part but I switch it around
White Balance Override: 2352K
Flash: Auto
Burst Mode FPS: 5
Image Save Speed: Fastest
Display: Level
Shutter speed: 4