"Re-inventing" the smartphone

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Lately we've been having some manufacturers and tech sites claiming they've Re-invented the phone, most notably Sony XPERIA Z and HTC One.

While these are obviously good phones with innovative features, waterproofing a phone or giving it "ultra-pixels" (whatever that means) is not really the same as re-inventing it, IMHO.

As far as I'm aware, the only company in the recent past that truly reinvented the phone was Apple in 2007 with the original iPhone:
It made touchscreens mainstream (even though that's been around since forever).
It look UI design and usability to a whole new level.
In short it completely changed the way we looked at and used phones.
That is re-inventing! And I haven't seen that happen ever again.

So this is my question:
What would it take now to truly reinvent the smartphone once again? I'm not just talking about adding octo-core processors, 4k screens, or other spec boosts. I mean something that changes the way we use phones. What do you think?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
An earpiece that holds all your contacts and has speech recognition to allow you to make calls and send text messages. Linked to a 4.7 inch flexible display that you wear on your sleeve for media consumption, emails and games.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
An earpiece that holds all your contacts and has speech recognition to allow you to make calls and send text messages. Linked to a 4.7 inch flexible display that you wear on your sleeve for media consumption, emails and games.

True, and Google Glasses (or whatever it's offically called) can be something like that - but unless it hits the market we'll have to wait.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Apple didn't reinvent the smartphone, the re-invented what we thought of as smartphones.
Smartphones are still mobile PCs. Ever remember the 7760? That was a smartphone.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
True, and Google Glasses (or whatever it's offically called) can be something like that - but unless it hits the market we'll have to wait.

Google glasses are an excellent concept - cant see it taking off mainstream though - really cant see hundreds of thousands of people all walking round wearing identical pairs of glasses.

tekhna

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
My two cents on what could reinvent the smartphone:

Fuel cell batteries.
Regardless of the energy efficiency or massive batteries inside, pretty much every phone out there doesn't last more than a day.
If someone comes up with a phone that can last, say, a month or so, THAT would be something that changes the ball game.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster