WP8 vs iOS virtual keyboard after several months

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
First off, I don't want to go back to iOS. I really like WP8 and most of the apps. However, I've never been as accurate with the WP8 keyboard. I just used my old iPhone the other day and was astonished by how much more accurate I was at typing on it. Key presses just always landed where I wanted them to land.

Perhaps, it's just hardware related (Lumia 920) but often times key presses just seem to land to either side even though the iPhone screen is much smaller. I keep feeling like part of the problem is the virtual keyboard height on WP is too high. Which then throws of the height to width ratio.

Much has been written about the WP8 keyboard but I think the developers need to spend some time on an iPhone before they go through their next revision.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
a) You need time to get used to the keyboard layout
b) The keyboard needs to learn to predict.

Once these two are in place, the keyboard will guess what you want to type. Sometimes I type the first word and then look at suggestions, and go tap, tap, tap, tap - I complete the sentence just based on what is being suggested as the next work because spookily enough my keyboard knows how to end that sentence after I write just ONE word!

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. Though I never used the Iphone, with Android, at least I had a choice of keyboards to find what worked for me. With WP, we are stuck with one. One size does not always fit all.

I agree with the height and aspect ratio. Ive had the 920 since November and I still am not use to the keyboard nor do I like it. I dont like the autocorrect much either. Doesnt seem to work very well half the time.

The keyboard is just one of a few things I wish MS would open up and let Devs give us different options.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I found that WP on a smaller screen the typing was much easier to type on it. I can type without looking onto the screen with a smaller 4inch screen.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
a) You need time to get used to the keyboard layout
b) The keyboard needs to learn to predict.

Once these two are in place, the keyboard will guess what you want to type. Sometimes I type the first word and then look at suggestions, and go tap, tap, tap, tap - I complete the sentence just based on what is being suggested as the next work because spookily enough my keyboard knows how to end that sentence after I write just ONE word!

It has been several months and there are certain aspects that have gotten better. One thing I have learned to use better is the predictive text. It works great.

Still, there is something about just the basic keyboard functionality that is off. I really notice it in apps that don't use the predictive text.

If my Lumia 920 could land the key presses as accurately as an iPhone I'd be happy.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the keyboard on iOS is ridiculously good, but it is also ridiculously annoying as well.

I type "food" and it'll change it to "good". There are other ones where I'll type a word and it'll change it to another. The worse part is that the word it changes it to, doesn't make sense!

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, not sure why this thread got moved to phone wars?

I think there may be a legitimate kepress accuracy issue that can be improved, at least in the Lumia 920.

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
I've been using an iPhone for the past two weeks as my 920 is in the shop...I so miss typing on the 920. The screen size is nicer to type on, I actually find the recognition around the same if not a little better on the wp side...but it could be because it's what we have gotten used to over time. Which might also be why you find going back to iOS a little easier to type on as it is what you had used much more previous.

Nelson Campos

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I think the major diference is on the software. Just try and make this test on the iPhone. Flip it around and try and hit a small spot (a link on safari for instance). You will inevitably fail. That's cause on the iPhone, the system assumes you will press a little lower that the spot itself. And you do, for some reason they took that into consideration and it does work!
I noticed this while showing things to my friends while seating on the other side of the table. The auto-corrector is also way better on iOS, wayyy better...

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I did think about that but I've also been on the Lumia since it first came out.

I'm a rather fast typer when it comes to virtual keyboards. I think it is just that the keyboard layout is two big for thumb typing even though I have big hands.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Have to say I use the predictive text to write half my messages, which I never did on the iPhone.

1-3 letters and most of the time it shows the word which for me is quicker.

Straight typing and the iPhone is better at selecting the letters.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Checking back in again. My key presses still seem to be more accurate on iPhones, Galaxy S4 and the new Blackberries I've tried.

There is just something kind of off on either WP8 or the Lumia 920 version of the virtual keyboard.

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've never tried the iPhone's keyboard, but I can say that I am much more accurate on my Lumia 920's keyboard than on my old HTC phone's keyboard (but I heard that the Sense 5 keyboard is pretty good, which I haven't tried yet). And the auto correct is pretty good. Plus, it looks better than any other virtual keyboard I've seen :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea