WP8 vs iOS virtual keyboard after several months

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I like the predictive text on WP. It helps with the accuracy issues. I just wish I didn't get the accuracy issues like on iOS and android.

Francoenlanoche

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
You should notice also, that in some apps the keyboard is above some bar with icons, and, in a few apps, like WeChat, the keyboard is at the bottom. I'm not saying this is the problem but i send some "kjdbcausyvbcn" to my friends sometimes and notice when I already supposedly send all my thoughts about the meaning of life to them

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Had the L920 for a few months and not once did I get used to the keyboard. Way too many typos.

That's why I was upset this got moved to "phone wars". I think there is a legitimate complaint that there is something wrong with key accuracy here. After 7 months I should be used to it by now if that were the problem. I forget how bad it is until I pick up any other phone. Even one I've never used before.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Having used both quite often, I can't stand the iPhones. Lack of predictive text is ridiculous. And the copy/paste and text selection methods are slow.

I can "type" an entire text message having only typed the first letter of the whole sentence with WP. Then just use the predicted words to fill in the rest.

iOS has a good keyboard, but it's not nearly as good as Windows Phone IMO.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
On the 920 I just go like a bat out of hell and the corrective text takes care of the rest. I'm actually pretty fast typer on the 920 and trust me that is saying something.

stride_time

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I've used iPhones foe personal and work and I prefer wp8 keyboard by far. If you misspell a word simply tap the word and it gives you better options very smoothly. All my friends agree when I show them how easy it is to type on

sdreamer

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a WP8 (my father does, darn contracts), but I know one of the features was "Word Flow." How is that? It was one of those one handed keyboard things that really impressed me but I always thought might be gimmicky. It's suppose to get better the more you use it, was wondering if anyone had any experience using this daily? WP7 can kinda get it, but WP8 seems to be a lot better at it.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I actually like the word flow. It makes the accuracy issues I've mentioned livable. I just wish my key presses were more accurate on this phone.

The accuracy issues I have are typically getting the key to either side of the one I'm aiming for. I get a higher error rate on the 920 than I do iOS, android and Blackberry. Sure, the predictive text corrects it but I'd rather not have to rely on that.

Doom At Last

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I've owned a HTC HD7, HTC 8X, and Lumia 810. Between these phones I've tested the iPhone keyboard and I was really surprised at its accuracy. I hit wrong keys less often than I do on my WPs.
I rely heavily on WP's autocorrect so that helps me out.
Still prefer WP keyboard though.

Simon Tupper

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't have a WP8 (my father does, darn contracts), but I know one of the features was "Word Flow." How is that? It was one of those one handed keyboard things that really impressed me but I always thought might be gimmicky. It's suppose to get better the more you use it, was wondering if anyone had any experience using this daily? WP7 can kinda get it, but WP8 seems to be a lot better at it.

the keyboard on WP8 is the best one IMO the word flow does get better as you use it and sometimes your whole sentence is there, no need to type it. On iOS the keyboard is aggressively correcting your mistakes and most of the time its wrong. On Android... Don't expect it to do anything... On BB10 its whole other story. It is a good keyboard experience, but it just feels weird and you need to get used to it. The keyboard is one of the reasons why I'm planning on staying with WP.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I've owned a HTC HD7, HTC 8X, and Lumia 810. Between these phones I've tested the iPhone keyboard and I was really surprised at its accuracy. I hit wrong keys less often than I do on my WPs.
I rely heavily on WP's autocorrect so that helps me out.
Still prefer WP keyboard though.

That is the point of my complaint. The word flow auto correct is great but the key presses are an issue on to their own. I'd rather not have to rely on the phone to fix the mistakes it caused to begin with. If I were a product manager at MS or Nokia I'd be all over the issue as it's a sloppy design problem.

Also, I'm not sure why people are saying iOS doesn't have similar autocorrect. It doesn't have word flow but does autocorrect unless turned off. I think iOS7 may be getting something similar to the WP8 predictive words.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
That is the point of my complaint. The word flow auto correct is great but the key presses are an issue on to their own. I'd rather not have to rely on the phone to fix the mistakes it caused to begin with. If I were a product manager at MS or Nokia I'd be all over the issue as it's a sloppy design problem.

Also, I'm not sure why people are saying iOS doesn't have similar autocorrect. It doesn't have word flow but does autocorrect unless turned off. I think iOS7 may be getting something similar to the WP8 predictive words.

The keyboard on my i4 is pretty accurate with key presses but not that much better than WP. Going back and forth between the two I find I get maybe a couple more misses with WP. But WP more than makes up for it with much better autocorrect and insanely awesome word flow.

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
iOS keyboard displays upper-case all the time, which bugs me. The WP keyboard switches to show lower case when you select shift, just like on any other operating system.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't have much use for the predictive text.. mostly cos I probably write pretty 50-50 of english and finnish, and I'm too lazy to switch layouts for it all the time either, thus the word prediction often throws the wrong language words there. That said, I've never really used the word prediction on any phone, so I'll manage :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss