WP8 Notification Centre - Unification? by Liquid Daffodil

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah they are busy churning out MWC news today, I hope this one doesn't get pushed back! It will be a ray of excitement between all the comments about how everyone is disappointed there isn't a WP8.1 or Lumia 950 or whatever they were expecting!

edit : Welcome to WPC! What a day to create an account ;)

Gorki247

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure about this; it needs developers to opt-in, which may be alright for some independent ones but I don't see the big names signing up. Also, I cannot see MS themselves making use of it, leaving out the more important apps that I would like to see in a notification centre like phone, messages, skype, etc... or do they have a solution for this?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Not sure about this; it needs developers to opt-in, which may be alright for some independent ones but I don't see the big names signing up.

Especially when Microsoft themselves have admitted that they were working on a Notification Center for WP8 and ran out of time. By the time this hits enough of a critical mass to be useful, Microsoft could very well have their own solution out.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Especially when Microsoft themselves have admitted that they were working on a Notification Center for WP8 and ran out of time. By the time this hits enough of a critical mass to be useful, Microsoft could very well have their own solution out.

Microsoft wont have a solution for WP7 guys. They aren't updating WP7 any longer! So this one has a huge potential considering WP7 devices are still being launched for lower end markets.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
So, this will be limited to indie developers at best, will rack up hosting costs, and will be made redundant when Microsoft launches the official implementation.

I'm afraid this will just be a huge waste of time and effort on the part of Liquid Daffodil, though I hope it isn't.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Of course! I'll just wait until september for the official notification center to come out! Like how they promised all the big app titles and everything! *rolls eyes* I'm so sick of Microsoft. I should have waited.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I just don't see this gaining any traction at all since developers will need to opt in for this to work. I'd rather have Liquid Daffodil work on a Facebook app.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Microsoft wont have a solution for WP7 guys. They aren't updating WP7 any longer! So this one has a huge potential considering WP7 devices are still being launched for lower end markets.

Yes, but do you really think many app developers are going to bother concentrating on implementing something that only low-end markets and legacy users will benefit from? Besides, how many developers of WP7-only apps are still even actively updating their apps?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I get the importance of a unified notification center, but never understood to need on a windows phones, I thought that's what live tiles were for... And the lock screen notifications...

DaveSC

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
The problem with live tiles is that things just seem to get lost.
Your phone beeps and you have no idea why, your tile says you have 10 notifications but you click into the app and only see 1 of them and now have to hunt for the rest.
Live tiles are neat but they don't give you the kind of granular information that a notification center does.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Not really important as the official notification center will come with WP Blue in September.

There has been little evidence to suggest that at all. No one knows what WP Blue will have so its far from a guaranteed thing.

I have to applaud the developer on delivering something that people wanted. Clearly they are dedicated to filling the holes in this platform that are there that MS doesn't ever get around to fixing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte