WP8 Notification Centre - Unification? by Liquid Daffodil

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Kinda feels like the iPhone notification situation again before iOS 5 >.>

Everyone complains, need new, better system, only the jailbreaking community built some or one. Rather than building one themselves, they got someone who did and it was a pretty much rip of android and it still is not all that dandy unless you jailbreak your device...again

Anyway kudos to the Dev who are putting effort

I'm gonna go drink my cup of tea and enjoy some Blues

downhillrider

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
well I'm pretty sure MS will have their own take on a notification system in an update at some point. I think they were surprised by the outcry for a notification system. I'm sure they thought live tiles would be enough.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Live Tiles ARE the notification centre.

Really don't understand why people want to turn WP into Android..... Just learn to use the OS features... It's easy!!!

finiterex

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
+1 to the above post! Live tiles ARE the "notification centre". Now on the flip side there are some improvements to lock screen/toasts and reliability of notifications that need to be made.

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Live Tiles ARE the notification centre.

Really don't understand why people want to turn WP into Android..... Just learn to use the OS features... It's easy!!!

Man, you couldn't have said it better...I've always thought the exact same thing. The only thing that I think ms just dropped the ball on when it comes to notifications is to show emails when they come in...similar to text notifications.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
+1 to the above post! Live tiles ARE the "notification centre". Now on the flip side there are some improvements to lock screen/toasts and reliability of notifications that need to be made.

There still has to be the option to enable it vs. hiding it. Just the presence of the notification center in the OS is needed to shut people up. Although Live Tiles provide me with all my notifications, it would be good to have a separate screen for notifications for those people who are on-the-go and can't scroll through their start screen and click on every tile that has a notification. I.e a swipe to the right from the lock screen would provide extremely quick access to everything notification.

Endem

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I second the right swipe in WP as a natural way to invoke the notification center. As for Unification, the developer tends to focus more on quantity than on quality. Look at Gleek - it could be the best TW app if only it had more polish and was faster :/. Rare to see devoted developers on WP like them, but still, I would like them to focuse a bit more.

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Not knocking the developers, as they are clearly trying to give the 'Android' crowd what they want....

I have never had a problem with Live Tile notifications. Everything works for every tile. 15 minute spacing for e-mails is good for me.
I tend to group all the Live Tile apps together, so they are easily accessible if I'm out and about.

A lot of WP users just can't change their mindset about how the OS works and the integration aspects. If they did they would see that you don't need a Notification Centre. It's all built in.

A Notification Centre negates the need for Live Tiles, and is just another intermediate step to the information they want.
I've seen Android owners with a Notification Centre fiddling around with it, opening the correct app etc, etc.... I've already checked the Live Tiles or Lockscreen and my phone is back in my pocket... Suckers!!!!! :winktongue:

If MS releases a 'native' NC, I won't be using it. There's no need...

joeynox

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Sp needs a notification center. Anyone who thinks live tiles are the answer is crazy. Most apps dont use live tiles and the ones that do dont work properly all the time . We need a notification center to log our missed notifications. I have a galaxy s3 and l920 . Being able to pull down my notification list along wirh quick options is epic.

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Sp needs a notification center. Anyone who thinks live tiles are the answer is crazy. Most apps dont use live tiles and the ones that do dont work properly all the time . We need a notification center to log our missed notifications. I have a galaxy s3 and l920 . Being able to pull down my notification list along wirh quick options is epic.
I don't have android but the drop down notifications and quick settings make me very envious

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I respect what these guys are trying to do. Do I need to see each and every notification that my phone gives off in a notification center? No. My live tiles do a fairly good at-a-glance job of that. But how about le wild toasts that aren't associated with a notification on a tile, or toasts from an app that isn't pinned? (Why isn't it pinned? Maybe you forgot to pin it. Maybe you didn't care to pin it because you don't use it often. Maybe the live tile for that app doesn't provide a notification for all updates - i.e. A message in a word game vs your turn to move)

I've been the 'victim' of upwards of 8 annoying notifications while on a phone call, only to find maybe 2 reflected on my live tiles. There might even be an app or two on my phone that provides random toasts, and maybe I want to turn them off - but if I can't catch the toasts I have no idea which app it is (and if that app's live tile doesn't reflect those toasts, I have to go through the settings of every app on my phone and hope I can find it).

This has nothing to do with catering to the Android crowd or anything like that - there are legitimate reasons to at least aggregate missed toasts.

I think the only other alternative to having a notification center is for Microsoft to do all of the following:

1) Provide an option for all toasts to remain stacked on top of each other on screen until dismissed
2) Require all apps to have a separate counter (or update one main counter) on their own live tile for every type of notification, including toasts. This would have to be enforced during the app submission/approval process
3) Require & automatically pin to start apps that provide toasts/notifications upon install -OR- provide a counter in the app list when an app sends a toast

(Another alternative to a notification center: Provide an option in the settings menu that lists each and every app on your phone that sends out toasts. You have the option of overriding that app and turning off its toasts from there. As an added bonus, it could provide the last time that app sent out a toast or something)

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Anyone who thinks live tiles are the answer is crazy. Most apps dont use live tiles and the ones that do dont work properly all the time.

All my apps that use toasts and live tiles work correctly. Well except FB, which we all know is garbage.

Everything else works fine. I'd suggest stop using garbage apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077