Asphalt 7 tomorrow?

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Exactly what part of if-you-have-a-problem-with-my-complaining-then-go-away do you not understand??
I never asked for your opinion.
Who forced you to solve everyone's problems that you're sooo worked up with my phone's storage issues?

But since you have, let me state my view on this:
This whole fiasco with the Others storage is a PROBLEM. I'm not saying there's no workaround for it; but the user shouldn't have to do this.
If I wanted to root my phone and micro-manage memory allocation and app usage, I would have bought an android. But unlike some people, my life doesn't revolve around my phone (or computer) for me to spend hours on gadget housekeeping.

I expect things to work the way they're advertised. And when they don't, I will complain. And unless you're the sole owner of WPcentral, this isn't your house to say I what I can and can't. I hope we're clear on this.

Again, I was posting in here before you came in here with your horrendous attitude, so no.

So you SAY you tried workarounds, but then say you didn't, then complain that they're offered? Name me a SINGLE product without problems. I mean, since you care to dump on Windows Phone, why don't you enlighten us all to the perfect platform that has no issues and always works as-intended, right out of the box? I mean, with the way you're acting like this issue has murdered your family, there must be platform that does everything without fail, every single time you try, and it's ONLY Windows Phone that has issues in its second major iteration, right?

For all of the complaining, you never:

1. Suggest fixes (or even take those from others, I guess)
2. Offer up another platform without issues

I have nothing against complaining (I mean, I've made several complaints about the platform on this forum), but you come in with the absolute WORST attitude of any member of the community I've seen, and it's pretty moronic. If you're having such a bad time that you need to come onto a forum and act like this, you're doing yourself a disservice by even staying with the platform. So, I guess I'll just put it this way: If you have such a HUGE problem with the platform, leave it, and stop acting like any other platform is full of benevolence and perfection, because I can list a BUNCH of problems encountered with iOS and Android devices that bother me MUCH more than simply having to sync extra music every couple of months.

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Oh, it is when your friends are android geeks, who won't believe that a Lumia 920's specs are sufficient to run demanding apps.

This speaks to my big problem with the tech press in general. Every new phone that's released people freak out over like it's the next big thing. But the fact is that the actual hardware features only incremental updates. It's the same kind of spec wars we were seeing through the 90s and early 00s. The one big disruptor today is the OS. Back then you'd have an OS for several years, with updates being guaranteed but not crucial. With smartphones, you're lucky if your phone is supported a couple of versions out.

The North American version of the Galaxy S3, the HTC One S and some in the Nexus line feature hardware identical to the Lumia 920. A couple of the top tier Android phones have better hardware, but the improvements are decidedly incremental. And for gaming quad-core processors are irrelevant, what matters is the GPU. That's why the iPhone 5 has such a consistent edge in graphics performance despite a CPU that spec-wise is inferior to most other devices on the market.

The HTC 8X and Lumia 820 in particular, likely have the edge in graphical performance because both have to push fewer pixels. But the problem besetting top tier Windows Phones is two-fold.

The first is that we're at the end of the development chain. Initial development targets iOS first, and maybe even Android. That means they get all the optimizations that guarantee good performance. Our ports get dumped on some third-party who routinely lack the skill, budget and time to produce a comparably polished product. That results in the perception that Windows Phone isn't up to the task even though the devices are every bit as capable.

The second problem is that the Lumia 920, HTC 8X and Samsung ATIV S are all using hardware that is on the trailing end of this generation. The GPU, in particular, is a weak point. The next gen variants of our hardware are barely months away, but coming for Android first of course. We should have at least gotten the hardware in the Chinese Lumia 920T. It's been shown in benchmarks that the Adreno 225 is barely on par with the GPU in the iPhone 4S/iPad 2. So Apple's done a better job of future-proofing their hardware. But then it's hard to argue with the price point of Windows Phone 8 devices. And even with better hardware you're still stuck with the issue of second-rate development. There's no real reason not to have gaming performance on par with anything else on the market.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This speaks to my big problem with the tech press in general. Every new phone that's released people freak out over like it's the next big thing. But the fact is that the actual hardware features only incremental updates. It's the same kind of spec wars we were seeing through the 90s and early 00s. The one big disruptor today is the OS. Back then you'd have an OS for several years, with updates being guaranteed but not crucial. With smartphones, you're lucky if your phone is supported a couple of versions out.

The North American version of the Galaxy S3, the HTC One S and some in the Nexus line feature hardware identical to the Lumia 920. A couple of the top tier Android phones have better hardware, but the improvements are decidedly incremental. And for gaming quad-core processors are irrelevant, what matters is the GPU. That's why the iPhone 5 has such a consistent edge in graphics performance despite a CPU that spec-wise is inferior to most other devices on the market.

The HTC 8X and Lumia 820 in particular, likely have the edge in graphical performance because both have to push fewer pixels. But the problem besetting top tier Windows Phones is two-fold.

The first is that we're at the end of the development chain. Initial development targets iOS first, and maybe even Android. That means they get all the optimizations that guarantee good performance. Our ports get dumped on some third-party who routinely lack the skill, budget and time to produce a comparably polished product. That results in the perception that Windows Phone isn't up to the task even though the devices are every bit as capable.

The second problem is that the Lumia 920, HTC 8X and Samsung ATIV S are all using hardware that is on the trailing end of this generation. The GPU, in particular, is a weak point. The next gen variants of our hardware are barely months away, but coming for Android first of course. We should have at least gotten the hardware in the Chinese Lumia 920T. It's been shown in benchmarks that the Adreno 225 is barely on par with the GPU in the iPhone 4S/iPad 2. So Apple's done a better job of future-proofing their hardware. But then it's hard to argue with the price point of Windows Phone 8 devices. And even with better hardware you're still stuck with the issue of second-rate development. There's no real reason not to have gaming performance on par with anything else on the market.

I agree on MOST of what you say. However, there are things I disagree with, and will point out just a couple:

1. I've actually heard that the manufacturing process used in the iPhone 5's CPU makes it a bit BETTER than what we get from the S4, but haven't seen anything to clearly back that up one way or the other.

2. I disagree that Apple's doing a better job of futureproofing hardware. They keep leaving out features in their devices, like skipping LTE in the 4S and NFC in the 5. I mean, think about the fact that there are MILLIONS of people who won't be able to access LTE on their devices until this fall, once those 4S contracts expire. Then consider that if NFC takes off this year (perhaps right after an NFC-enabled iPhone launches), those who just got the 5 last fall won't be able to access NFC until NEXT fall. The core components might be a bit more future-proofed, but the devices as a whole aren't. I mean, consider that NO iPhone has provided users with an HD-resolution screen yet.

The main thing I agree on, though, is the GPU in the 920. They released a superior alternative in China right after, so they should have just stuck the 920T's SoC in the regular 920, though it's possible they simply weren't able to get enough of those together. Even then, I wouldn't mind (too much) if Nokia simply started shipping the 920 with those newer chips, so they could give the device a bit longer life cycle.

Heck, in a perfect world, Nokia would let you purchase a hardware upgrade, meaning you send them your phone and $50, then they slap the 920T chip into your phone. That'd be pretty sweet, but it's never going to happen. I'd buy into that business model though, ESPECIALLY since we have to invest 2 years into these phones.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Again, I was posting in here before you came in here with your horrendous attitude, so no.

So you SAY you tried workarounds, but then say you didn't, then complain that they're offered? Name me a SINGLE product without problems. I mean, since you care to dump on Windows Phone, why don't you enlighten us all to the perfect platform that has no issues and always works as-intended, right out of the box? I mean, with the way you're acting like this issue has murdered your family, there must be platform that does everything without fail, every single time you try, and it's ONLY Windows Phone that has issues in its second major iteration, right?

For all of the complaining, you never:

1. Suggest fixes (or even take those from others, I guess)
2. Offer up another platform without issues

I have nothing against complaining (I mean, I've made several complaints about the platform on this forum), but you come in with the absolute WORST attitude of any member of the community I've seen, and it's pretty moronic. If you're having such a bad time that you need to come onto a forum and act like this, you're doing yourself a disservice by even staying with the platform. So, I guess I'll just put it this way: If you have such a HUGE problem with the platform, leave it, and stop acting like any other platform is full of benevolence and perfection, because I can list a BUNCH of problems encountered with iOS and Android devices that bother me MUCH more than simply having to sync extra music every couple of months.

What's wrong with you man?
All I did was make a complaint and you're turning a mole-hill into a mountain. Perhaps you just need to take a deep breath and realise not everyone thinks WP8 is as perfect as you do. And do yourself a favor and stop answering my posts.
I'm done arguing with you.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What's wrong with you man?
All I did was make a complaint and you're turning a mole-hill into a mountain. Perhaps you just need to take a deep breath and realise not everyone thinks WP8 is as perfect as you do. And do yourself a favor and stop answering my posts.
I'm done arguing with you.

Well, you decided to come into a thread and derail it with anger and profanity over the matter, then dismiss suggestions on how to fix the matter. You decided I'm a stalker because you came into a thread I was already in. You keep bashing the platform in a thread about one game, and you seem perfectly content with just complaining without end, and it's pretty terrible when you try to drag down other threads with it.

Again, I offered a solution to you, legitimately trying to help, but you decided it wasn't worth your time to fix the problem. Even then, I'll show you this that I just found in another thread, so feel free to try it if you want:

Shrink Storage | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

The app does what I already suggested: It overloads the storage on the phone so the software convinces itself to dump unneeded files, then deletes the added files, all in an attempt to clear the bloated section of the storage.

Again, we're not fanboys because we're finding workarounds and saying it's not the crippling apocalypse you treat it as. Every OS has its growing pains and its general problems, so what I'm trying to get at is here is a SECOND chance to help you solve the problem. If you refuse to take 5 minutes to use either method I've suggested (manually adding files or using that app), you can't sit there and yell that Microsoft is causing you problems when there are two clear solutions right in front of you.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'm in the process of doing that as well, not because I needed room to install this game (still waiting on getting it), but because I wanted to clear some space off of my "other" section. Cleared about 300 MB after all was said and done, I think.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Oh, it is when your friends are android geeks, who won't believe that a Lumia 920's specs are sufficient to run demanding apps. As you know, they are used to quadcore chips and so on... :/
I downloaded Skulls of the Shogun as well, but I didn't catch me so far. I don't know if SotS is the best kind of game to show off in 1-2 minutes. I'd say SotS's strengths are more in the details.

Problem is, this isn't a demanding game. It's available for the iPhone 3GS , and later, and a ton of Android phones. There isn't a 1gb of RAM requirement on other platforms.

The 920 is more than capable of running demanding stuff, there just isn't anything available.

Letros

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hows the framerate on Asphalt 7 for the Lumia 820? It appears to be running at native res on the 920 and It's a dog, I have to goto bumper cam just to get it smooth.

Ixolite

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hows the framerate on Asphalt 7 for the Lumia 820? It appears to be running at native res on the 920 and It's a dog, I have to goto bumper cam just to get it smooth.
Works great if you manage to scrape enough space to actually install it.

lnsertName

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I have used Shrink, and only scraped 200Mb back. Leaving me with 2.23Gb on Other. with about the same available to use.

Couldn't install Asphalt from the Store as not enough memory apparently.

Sent the game to my handset from windowsphone.com and it started to download, then i got the memory low error, and the game stopped downloading.

I cancelled the installation, rebooted and used shrink again to try purge the game install file out of my other folder.

I'm now stuck with only 656Mb available and my Other at almost 4Gb.

Shrink isnt working at all now....

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I have used Shrink, and only scraped 200Mb back. Leaving me with 2.23Gb on Other. with about the same available to use.

Couldn't install Asphalt from the Store as not enough memory apparently.

Sent the game to my handset from windowsphone.com and it started to download, then i got the memory low error, and the game stopped downloading.

I cancelled the installation, rebooted and used shrink again to try purge the game install file out of my other folder.

I'm now stuck with only 656Mb available and my Other at almost 4Gb.

Shrink isnt working at all now....

Which device do you have? Just wondering for sake of space available. I'll offer 2 suggestions:

1. The way that I clear space from other is by syncing music to my phone (via the Windows Phone app, not sure if the phone reacts the same way with a drag-and-drop sync). I pick more music than my phone can hold, then it'll start clearing stuff as the memory gets low during the sync. It only clears AT MOST 300 MB now, but my first time doing it cleared about 1.5 GB.
2. If you can't get the installer fromAsphalt 7 cleared out that way, you could delete a bunch of apps, complete the install, then delete Asphalt 7 and reinstall your other apps/games. That would almost surely dump that extra 700 MB that is likely the partially-installed Asphalt 7 installer/game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb