WP8 progress vs. Android vs. iOS

Hiiiiiiiii

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Just found this comment on reddit and it was a spot on so wanted to share. What are your thoughts?

It's funny because when WP7 launched I thought MS was on the path to having the best platform. It obviously lacked the features, but I felt it had a stronger base to build from. I figured MS would be able to add the features quicker than Google would be able to sort out androids lag and UI issues and quicker than Apple would be able to ditch their skeumorphic UI and the crappy iTunes desktop app.

We're now at a point were android is already smooth and has a nice UI (and android 5.0 is probably nearer than the next major WP update). Likewise, iOS (under the direction of Ives) will probably remedy many of its issues.

I realistically thought that Microsoft was poised to have the best platform but I'm shocked at how slow they've moved.

geoken comments on MWC came and go and all we got was Asphalt 7

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
The bit where they say "We're now at a point were android is already smooth and has a nice UI" made me laugh! Are they serious? Have they not experienced the infamous lag of the Galaxy S 3? I have and it is shocking on a quad core device.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The bit where they say "We're now at a point were android is already smooth and has a nice UI" made me laugh! Are they serious? Have they not experienced the infamous lag of the Galaxy S 3? I have and it is shocking on a quad core device.

For the most part flagship android devices are a lot smoother. Anything android 4.1 or higher is buttery smooth just not all the time lol. In comparison WP is buttery smooth just about all the time.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
For the most part flagship android devices are a lot smoother. Anything android 4.1 or higher is buttery smooth just not all the time lol. In comparison WP is buttery smooth just about all the time.

Agreed, I've yet to experience lag on my 920 which happens to be the smoothest most responsive OS I've ever used. I know the pain of Symbian and Android Eclair. Froyo was OK, as was Gingerbread but Jellybean is noticeably laggy on my S3.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
You are looking at things from an exterior perspective only. Agreed, from that view it doesn't look like MSFT has done much. Its when you look under the hood where the changes between WP7 and 8 are noticable. Gotta have a good foundation before you can start building ontop of it.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Just found this comment on reddit and it was a spot on so wanted to share. What are your thoughts?

geoken comments on MWC came and go and all we got was Asphalt 7

I don't know why Microsoft was so slow, it's probably because their team was split up between WP7 and WP8. Plus, WP8 involved that switch to the NT kernel, leaving less time to work on adding features.

Does the GSIII have Jelly Bean yet? Anyway, I never really liked TouchWiz or any other manufacturer's version of Android. I feel like they add bloat.

I've seen my friends Nexus 4, and I have seen it lag slightly, but to be honest, I don't think any phone is 100% free from lag. I've had my Lumia 920 lag very slightly a few times, but the animations tend to cover it up.

That being said, Android has come a long way since I've last used one as my daily driver. Whereas in the past Android seemed like a mess, a Nexus 4 running stock Android is pretty nice, but not nice enough to make me switch. I still love WP.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster