NOK to Add Wireless Charging in 2013

AdamMGregory

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Monday Apple Rumors: iPhone to Get Wireless Charging in 2013 | InvestorPlace

good thing they are on top of the ball with this one.

No More Cables: Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) is developing its own wireless charging technology for mobile devices, DigiTimes notes. Sources say that Apple will add the technology to its top-end iPhone this year. The company is expected to introduce its latest iPhone, the iPhone 5S in August. However, it remains unclear whether Apple will build the technology into the iPhone, or provide it through attachable accessories. Rival Samsung is also expected to add wireless charging to its upcoming Galaxy S IV smartphone. Owners of the Galaxy S IV will have to purchase back covers enabled with Qi wireless charging technology in order to charge their devices from a charging pad. Other smartphone makers are also expected to add wireless charging to their higher-end models this year, including HTC, Nokia (NYSE:NOK) and LG.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I hate it how NO ONE knows that Nokia has wireless charging and this piece of innovation will be labelled as something Apple introduced to the world. That dude who wrote the article is so misinformed that he almost just mentioned Nokia at the end of the paragraph stating wrongly that Nokia "will also introduced wireless charging in 2013"

AND sadly enough it is an article from a MSN website - Microsoft's ownership! FTW!

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
"Investor" sites churn out articles like this all the time without bothering to research anything. It's funny that all 3 companies they mentioned at the end released phones with built-in wireless charging in 2012.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ yep. It should read: Apple, HTC and LG following Nokia's lead by also adding wireless charging to their high end phones.

Of course, Apple will develop their own standard that is incompatible with everyone else's, so you are forced to buy Apple's accessories, even if you already own Qi compatible wireless charging products. Restaurants, Airports, everyone will be forced to choose between supporting the Qi standard, or whatever Apple comes up with. Consumers are left with more expensive and less functional solutions that only work some of the time... it's this behavior that I dislike most about Apple

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
^ yep. It should read: Apple, HTC and LG following Nokia's lead by also adding wireless charging to their high end phones.

Of course, Apple will develop their own standard that is incompatible with everyone else's, so you are forced to buy Apple's accessories, even if you already own Qi compatible wireless charging products. Restaurants, Airports, everyone will be forced to choose between supporting the Qi standard, or whatever Apple comes up with. Consumers are left with more expensive and less functional solutions that only work some of the time... it's this behavior that I dislike most about Apple
I'm pretty sure that Nokia didn't invent wireless charging either. HTC and LG released phones with the same feature right around the time that Nokia did. Also, phones have had wireless charging available through replaceable back covers for much longer. It just didn't get popular until more recently.

Last edited:

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Monday Apple Rumors: iPhone to Get Wireless Charging in 2013 | InvestorPlace

good thing they are on top of the ball with this one.

No More Cables: Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) is developing its own wireless charging technology for mobile devices, DigiTimes notes. Sources say that Apple will add the technology to its top-end iPhone this year. The company is expected to introduce its latest iPhone, the iPhone 5S in August. However, it remains unclear whether Apple will build the technology into the iPhone, or provide it through attachable accessories. Rival Samsung is also expected to add wireless charging to its upcoming Galaxy S IV smartphone. Owners of the Galaxy S IV will have to purchase back covers enabled with Qi wireless charging technology in order to charge their devices from a charging pad. Other smartphone makers are also expected to add wireless charging to their higher-end models this year, including HTC, Nokia (NYSE:NOK) and LG.

Looks like the error about nokia has been picked up - last line has now changed to

Other smartphone makers are also expected to add wireless charging to their higher-end models this year. Nokia (NYSE:NOK) already offers Qi-enabled wireless charging on its Lumia 920 smartphones

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that Nokia didn't invent wireless charging either. HTC and LG released phones with the same feature right around the time that Nokia did. Also, phones have had wireless charging available through replaceable back covers for much longer. It just didn't get popular until more recently.

They are the first include in a flagship, not to mention I believe it is an available option in their whole lineup. Nokia is the first to mainstream it imo

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm pretty sure that Nokia didn't invent wireless charging either.

Who said anything about inventing it? Nokia invented a few things, but not wireless charging. The Qi standard has been around for quite a few years already (I think 2008). Like Martin said, Nokia were simply the first to "mainstream it".

RJ G

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Nobody said that but it seems it bothers some nokia users that apple is going to do it. Making it seem as if nokia first invented it. Even if they"made it mainstream" first who cares?

To be honest iam not to excited about this feature, sure it looks nice but i prefer the wired and faster way of charging my phone.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Nobody said that but it seems it bothers some nokia users that apple is going to do it. Making it seem as if nokia first invented it. Even if they"made it mainstream" first who cares?

To be honest iam not to excited about this feature, sure it looks nice but i prefer the wired and faster way of charging my phone.
its not about who invented but more about once apple has it it'll be like they did invent it and its the greatest thing on earth. Like what happened to siri. Others like me are just tired of apple getting all the positive stuff for the me too's or the buy outs they do when they don't bring most stuff to the market first.

RJ G

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
its not about who invented but more about once apple has it it'll be like they did invent it and its the greatest thing on earth. Like what happened to siri. Others like me are just tired of apple getting all the positive stuff for the me too's or the buy outs they do when they don't bring most stuff to the market first.

Why are you tired because of that? Why does it bother you so much?

Its business and companies work that way, grown adults shouldn't be ''tired'' by things like these.

In my opinion i could careless who got it first, or who made it popular, if it works form me... great. That is all i care.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Why are you tired because of that? Why does it bother you so much?

Its business and companies work that way, grown adults shouldn't be ''tired'' by things like these.

In my opinion i could careless who got it first, or who made it popular, if it works form me... great. That is all i care.
you obviously don't know many apple fans or you would be tired of it as well. If they get the technology then excellent for them. But don't try to make it out as if you invented it and no one else can compete.

RJ G

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
you obviously don't know many apple fans or you would be tired of it as well. If they get the technology then excellent for them. But don't try to make it out as if you invented it and no one else can compete.

In fact most of my friends use the iphone, some of them just use it because of ease of use, others like me are power users but trust me they dont really brag about stuff like that, in fact they dont really care. I assume theyre happy people that dont need to bring the ''my phone had it first'' comment in order to justify how they spent their money.

On the other hand ive seen several non-iphone users bragging about their devices and desperately trying to change iphone users mind to consider switching. Three weeks ago one of my friend gets his 920 out of his pocket, plays a music video purposely in front of me and says something about how no other phone could match that quality, he encouraged me to play the same video on my iphone 5 and put it side by side... And guess what... yes both devices looked great, the 920 was beautiful, so whas the iphone 5. Even he couldnt notice the ''big'' difference other than one was on a bigger screen. What i did noticed is that the 920 had a greenish tint when compared to the iphone, but in the end my point is you really couldnt tell which one was better.

But yea, going back to topic, ive been an iphone user since a while now, i do like other phones, i do give credit to the ones that innovate or come out with something different, but in the end im gonna buy whatever works better for me not who ever had this and that first.

Zeroplanetz

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
In fact most of my friends use the iphone, some of them just use it because of ease of use, others like me are power users but trust me they dont really brag about stuff like that, in fact they dont really care. I assume theyre happy people that dont need to bring the ''my phone had it first'' comment in order to justify how they spent their money.

On the other hand ive seen several non-iphone users bragging about their devices and desperately trying to change iphone users mind to consider switching. Three weeks ago one of my friend gets his 920 out of his pocket, plays a music video purposely in front of me and says something about how no other phone could match that quality, he encouraged me to play the same video on my iphone 5 and put it side by side... And guess what... yes both devices looked great, the 920 was beautiful, so whas the iphone 5. Even he couldnt notice the ''big'' difference other than one was on a bigger screen. What i did noticed is that the 920 had a greenish tint when compared to the iphone, but in the end my point is you really couldnt tell which one was better.

But yea, going back to topic, ive been an iphone user since a while now, i do like other phones, i do give credit to the ones that innovate or come out with something different, but in the end im gonna buy whatever works better for me not who ever had this and that first.
interesting. Must be were I live. Heck there's even a bestbuy here that didn't until a week ago put a surface on display. People in my area are apple snobs wether you know them or not sad times.

Davey123

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
The company that mainstreamed wireless charging was Palm. I switched from a Pre 2 to the L920. I love my L920, and its wireless charging. However, imo, Palm had the best execution of this.

RJ G

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
In my opinion people are not really that interested in today's ''wireless charging'', you still have to put your phone down, i would be limited to use my phone while its charging on top of a pad. Atleast with a wire you have the option to move around a bit. But yea, rightnow in my opinion its a good feature but far from being really useful. i think that maybe thats why its not as popular or people dont really give alot of credit to phones that got it first or phones that made it mainstream.

I assume the day a company comes out with ''real'' wireless charging, the one where you can walk around and still be charging your phone without a pad or something similiar then everything will change and that would the day a company really is gonna get real credit for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss