New Facebook for WP8 (CONCEPT)

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to illustrate how the next version of Facebook for Windows Phone might look, I have a feeling there's a new one coming soon and I felt like giving it a try myself too.

Nothing much to explain here, Facebook is trying to converge their desktop and mobile UI closer to each other (similar to what Twitter's been doing) so I tried to take that in to account as much as I could while preparing these. I added quite a bit of my personal preferences though, like big typography for the first names (my own account is only for my real friends) and getting rid of that huge redundant Facebook text.

I decided to choose Pivot control for rotating through different feeds and menu page as it made the most sense to me (Pivot is mostly used to filter data). User can customize the feed views (one to four pages) to their preferences. For example news feed, close friends, photos and games + menu page. No visual cues for the page titles because they were too distracting in my opinion.

Anyway, here are some pics:

forWPC_1.jpg xtforWPC_2.jpg

create-qr-code
xt
create-qr-code

If you want to try it in your device (only 800x480 though), QR codes can be found below the pics.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Looks nice! A Facebook update can not come soon enough IMO. I hate how it scrolls to the top after you back out of a post. It annoyed me so much I download the WebApp App just for Facebook. The app works much better than the official app.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Looks nice! A Facebook update can not come soon enough IMO. I hate how it scrolls to the top after you back out of a post. It annoyed me so much I download the WebApp App just for Facebook. The app works much better than the official app.

Is the webapp app just touch.facebook.com?

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes but it opens inside of the WebApp application full screen. I hate the address bar at the bottom of IE and it also makes a very nice tile for the apps.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Samst22

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I imagine when they unify it (if they ever do), they will have swipe to the right to bring up the new grey menu as in iOS, but it will be metro-ified. Then hopefully they'll use the panorama swiping to do the new news feed filters. So you can customise your screens that you swipe to the left to get news feed filters such as photos, top stories, etc. similar to what you described.

Last edited:

afgzee

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
web apps facebook is good, but it has problems. Videos do not play, open a picture then select "view full size" doesn't work on 95% of pictures, there may be other problems but I have no come across them yet as been using the Microsoft version, also no notifications, this is by far the most important thing for me and Microsoft is just not pulling out their finger for some reason.

hoosiers7120

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
This is a pretty nice concept but i will like they are going to have a more metro feel to it yet try to bring the same experience you get on iOS or android. Will be interesting to see what they do.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
The current app looks better imho. You made the preview Picture bigger than in the actual app - thats it actually. i wouldnt mind bigger Pictures but they would increase loading times, i guess. the current app looks fine - we just need Features. i wouldnt mind if they made one of those "three dots Buttons" at the top bar which would shrink the top bar to a Minimum size. thats what all those whiners complain about actually.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
web apps facebook is good, but it has problems. Videos do not play, open a picture then select "view full size" doesn't work on 95% of pictures, there may be other problems but I have no come across them yet as been using the Microsoft version, also no notifications, this is by far the most important thing for me and Microsoft is just not pulling out their finger for some reason.

Right now I use them both. The WebApps version at least filters my news feed so I don't have to look at all the trash game requests that fill up my news feed in the native app.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Believe me, there's a whole lot of more than just that what I've done here.

Yes, there is. Apart from making the Pictures bigger, you de-metrofied the UI, which is totally legit, but simply not in the sense of the UI.
I don't want to take sth away from you, but I'm just saying that enlarging the Pictures had the greatest effect.

Just take a look at my poor 2-minutes-sketch:

FB_concept.jpg

I know it's not a proper concept, but I just wanted to show how much enlarging the Pictures actually effects the UI. I dont know how much using larger pictures affects the traffic, but I would like them to be bigger, of course. BTW: In the third UI you can see my idea of shrinking the banner Image by pressing the upper three dots.

What I want to say: The actual design of the current app is fine. They just could make the Pictures bigger like in the new FB UI, add some more Basic Features and that's it.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Fair enough, but I would like to hear more about this argument of yours. What part exactly in this concept you think is de-metrofied?

The way you used the fonts. Reupload the concept without using capital letters only for the names and let's see how it looks like.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
The way you used the fonts. Reupload the concept without using capital letters only for the names and let's see how it looks like.

Why do you believe using capital letters in title text is somehow against Metro design principles? Because it is not.

sueha

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Why do you believe using capital letters in title text is somehow against Metro design principles? Because it is not.

Just because it is not against a principle doesn't mean that it ooks like what we are used to. I'm just telling you that using capital letters makes it look a bit more aggressive than what we see in all the other apps. Maybe it has more to do with taste than with principles. Still waiting for a reup with small letters though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)