back to blackberry?

pjmacklin

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
wrestling with the idea of sticking with the lumia 920 or going to blackberry 10. my original "plan" was to use an upgrade i had available to go to bb10 once is was released in 2012. of course, that never happened. this past december, i found all sorts of high praise for the lumia and all it's capabilities. what pushed me over the edged, were the hard to resist special offers, until i finally said what the ****! three months and 2 replacements later, the phone's luster has started to dim. for all the bluster, all the hype, my lumia is only marginally better than the blackberry 9900 left behind. the few apps i've identified as useful have been okay but not great, not game changers. the couple of apps i'd like (htc hub for example) aren't part of the nokia sphere...yet.

i live in seattle and, as such, i encounter a number of microsofties that have high, albeit empty, praise for the phone. and i'm still trying to sort out all the critical praise lavished on the lumia as well as the thrashing of all things blackberry. as i mentioned, i am on my 2nd replacement. hardware issues with my original and first replacement were the source of no minor frustration.

so, i'm here looking for words, seeking some encouragement for staying with the lumia. i'm hoping for some rationalization of all the early praise and hoping, too, that i've missed something...somewhere.

phonohead

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry about your soft start, but patience is virtue. I'd advice you to hang on to your (great) device and wait for the next firmware/software updates to come. They are reported (all over) to be fixing certain issues and make the phone more enjoyable.

As far as apps goes, I am sure you've got a bigger pod to dive in - on your Lumia - compared to BB.

Hang in there!

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Nokia must be aware of all the issues around the 920.. there is no way they aren't because all those exchanges is costing them money and business. This is scary but it reminds me of their N97 situation a bit...

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Remember that it is ultimately up to you. If the phone does not work for you then you need to switch. The 920 can be excellent, but it isn't for everyone. Just like every other phone. Just have to find the best fit! :)

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Dump it. I thought about going back to my 9810 after similar experiences with my 920. I decided to tough it out until May for my upgrade. Getting S4 or Note2. Realistically, wp8 is two years from resolving OS issues and lack of options. Early adopting sucks. Lesson learned. Wp8 just doesn't do anything particularly well. I guess it depends on what your needs are for a device and if BB10 with its lackluster reviews, albeit biased reviews, will work for you. BB10 hasn't really impressed me and BB has no ecosystem outside of mobile and very hit and miss support for Google and MS ecosystems. I think BB may be in their death throws soon. If they play nice with other ecosystems, maybe not, but its inevitable.

Right now, BB and WP have been around the block but are basically new OS'. Neither has much to offer compared to big two.

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Everyone I work with is getting a Z10. Its ridiculous. Guy who's only used Motorola Droids since the OG is getting one. Chick who loves her 822 is getting one. Another Moto ****** I know is getting one. A guy I work with who has a S3, DNA, Razr M and SIM swaps daily is getting one. I'm getting one in July.

Its really taking over. Seriously, website reviews mean NOTHING. HTC is dying every day even though the DNA and all the Ones get stellar reviews. WP8 is a great OS but I think BlackBerry's public image is still better than Microsofts's.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Everyone I work with is getting a Z10. Its ridiculous. Guy who's only used Motorola Droids since the OG is getting one. Chick who loves her 822 is getting one. Another Moto ****** I know is getting one. A guy I work with who has a S3, DNA, Razr M and SIM swaps daily is getting one. I'm getting one in July.

Its really taking over. Seriously, website reviews mean NOTHING. HTC is dying every day even though the DNA and all the Ones get stellar reviews. WP8 is a great OS but I think BlackBerry's public image is still better than Microsofts's.

I wouldn't count BlackBerry out of the woods yet. It's basically like Nokia trying to make a comeback. It seems to me that Nokia is doing really well and maybe BlackBerry can turn itself around like Nokia did. With that said, I'm actually really considering getting a Z10 myself. Try it out and then sell whichever doesn't fit me best. There are a lot of features that I love about my 920 but it's almost like I'm forcing the glove to fit. I love, love, love my 920 for it's build, wonderful audio, camera which sometimes takes great photos buuuuut there are things I need my phone to do like Skype, even sideloaded on a Z10 is better than that steaming pile, PDF editing and signing, sending those PDFs via email, not just sending a link to a skydrive account. Notifications that work correctly. Since I got my Nexus 7, my phone has basically become my work device, mp3 player, camera and most importantly, my communication device. Skype is supposed to be coming sometime in March which will help immensely when I go to France in a bit, if it doesn't pan out then I can sideload the android version. Nokia is pulling their weight, Microsoft isn't. I'd rather have Nokia make the phone and make the OS. I kick myself that I wasn't into phones during the time Symbian was big. Oh well. I've been looking at the app offering and although not impressive, it's not any less than what I have now and I found a lot of sideloaded apps that I use on my Nexus 7 that I can use. Microsoft has shown me how it takes mobile phones and I don't like it. At least with BlackBerry, there is that drive that Nokia feels to produce an excellent product and they're in charge of the OS as well as I wish Nokia was with WP8.

Vorkosigan

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't count BlackBerry out of the woods yet. It's basically like Nokia trying to make a comeback. It seems to me that Nokia is doing really well and maybe BlackBerry can turn itself around like Nokia did. With that said, I'm actually really considering getting a Z10 myself. Try it out and then sell whichever doesn't fit me best. There are a lot of features that I love about my 920 but it's almost like I'm forcing the glove to fit. I love, love, love my 920 for it's build, wonderful audio, camera which sometimes takes great photos buuuuut there are things I need my phone to do like Skype, even sideloaded on a Z10 is better than that steaming pile, PDF editing and signing, sending those PDFs via email, not just sending a link to a skydrive account. Notifications that work correctly. Since I got my Nexus 7, my phone has basically become my work device, mp3 player, camera and most importantly, my communication device. Skype is supposed to be coming sometime in March which will help immensely when I go to France in a bit, if it doesn't pan out then I can sideload the android version. Nokia is pulling their weight, Microsoft isn't. I'd rather have Nokia make the phone and make the OS. I kick myself that I wasn't into phones during the time Symbian was big. Oh well. I've been looking at the app offering and although not impressive, it's not any less than what I have now and I found a lot of sideloaded apps that I use on my Nexus 7 that I can use. Microsoft has shown me how it takes mobile phones and I don't like it. At least with BlackBerry, there is that drive that Nokia feels to produce an excellent product and they're in charge of the OS as well as I wish Nokia was with WP8.

Ah Symbian. How I miss my Nokia Slide. My first 'smartphone'. I have always liked Nokia's build quality and found they had best call quality.

To the OP - I can't help you except to tell you that I have a Z10 and I find it fantastic. That said - it is an early OS and as you have discovered early adopters of any platform have their problems. If blackberry had died I would probably have tried a Windows phone - and I have high hopes that both platforms will thrive and keep offering some great choices.

Mio_Ray

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I was a crackhead as well. The 9700 is probably the best phone I ever had in its own time and everytime I see a 9900, 9790 or whatever I feel warm inside. So I can certainly ser why Z10 seems interesting. That said I would never take anything over the 920. Sure it has/had issues, but with recent updates they have been sorted out for my part.

I love Skydrive and Office, they are far superior to anything I tried on other platforms. It outweighs in full the shortcomings it might have in mailsystem and calendar.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Foroplex

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I was a crackhead as well. The 9700 is probably the best phone I ever had in its own time and everytime I see a 9900, 9790 or whatever I feel warm inside. So I can certainly ser why Z10 seems interesting. That said I would never take anything over the 920. Sure it has/had issues, but with recent updates they have been sorted out for my part.

I love Skydrive and Office, they are far superior to anything I tried on other platforms. It outweighs in full the shortcomings it might have in mailsystem and calendar.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Foroplex
I had a BlackBerry 9700 prior to getting the Lumia 900. I also love Skydrive and Office. Both are much better than DocumentsToGo, and I had the paid version of DocumentsToGo.

Calendar is not that important of a feature for me. However, I could not be without Netflix, which is still unavailable for BB10.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Dump it. I thought about going back to my 9810 after similar experiences with my 920. I decided to tough it out until May for my upgrade. Getting S4 or Note2. Realistically, wp8 is two years from resolving OS issues and lack of options. Early adopting sucks. Lesson learned. Wp8 just doesn't do anything particularly well. I guess it depends on what your needs are for a device and if BB10 with its lackluster reviews, albeit biased reviews, will work for you. BB10 hasn't really impressed me and BB has no ecosystem outside of mobile and very hit and miss support for Google and MS ecosystems. I think BB may be in their death throws soon. If they play nice with other ecosystems, maybe not, but its inevitable.

Right now, BB and WP have been around the block but are basically new OS'. Neither has much to offer compared to big two.

Must every one of your posts be so negative towards WP8? Wow. Make me wonder why you're even on this forum. Seems like you're here just to bash it.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't count BlackBerry out of the woods yet. It's basically like Nokia trying to make a comeback.

There is significant difference between the two tho.. BB stuck with their guns, and Nokia didn't . We will have to wait and see how this pans out for Nokia, but so far, WP hasn't made them any money. I am not saying that it won't, eventually.. I am just not sure if they can wait that much longer for that to happen.

The Nokia WP8 armada is very strong.. it will really hard for BB worldwide, but here in the US.. they have a chance.

If a company like RIM/BB has he balls to stick to their own platform, and maybe even make it work, its beyond me how Nokia thought that thy can't do the same.. considering how much better at hardware innovation they really are. They had several projects under way, a phone in mass production (the N9) and they still had Symbian and S40. They have an app store, a music service.. and all of that was ready way before BB presented their Z10.

BB has my respect for not "bending over" to anyone.. and I bet that I am not the only one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte