WhatsApp Questions and Answers thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngelosP

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
Are notifications reliable for everybody else? Do I need to exchange my phone?

I have been having a lot of trouble with notifications lately. Here are some examples of what I mean:

Double notification (notice how the size of the 2nd notification is different than the size of the first)

double notification.png

Notifications arriving hours after the message has actually been received and read on the phone and in the wrong sequence

Late and out of order 1.png

Late and out of order 1a.png

Late and out of order 2.png

Late and out of order 3.png

These were just some examples that I had screenshots for. I also experience:

• Notifications never arrive at all, but when I open the app there is a new msg.
  • Clicking on a notification to open the app makes the app hang; I have to press the back button and open the app normally.
  • Notifications won't go away, I have to swipe them to go away.
  • Notifications arrive out of sequence; I may get a notification for the 2nd message and then get notification for the first one.
  • Notification arrives promptly, but when opening the app the message is not there; I have to close and re-open to see it.

I own an HTC 8X and I have the latest updates for both OS and apps in question. I experience notification issues with most apps, but it is really bad with Whatsapp.

Am I alone in this?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Re: Are notifications reliable for everybody else? Do I need to exchange my phone?

It's whatsapp's issue not WP's issue. Whatsapp is buggy and there are about 100 threads about it. I will merge this thread with Whatsapp thread in sometime. Give that thread a read!

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Re: Are notifications reliable for everybody else? Do I need to exchange my phone?

Well whatsapp is terrible on windows phone. The only app I have issues with is Facebook. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

But these apps all work for me:
Twitter
GroupMe

These are the only ones I have toast notifications on.

AngelosP

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site

It's whatsapp's issue not WP's issue. Whatsapp is buggy and there are about 100 threads about it. I will merge this thread with Whatsapp thread in sometime. Give that thread a read!

I wasn't expecting an application to be able to affect the way notifications work, that's interesting. I will give that thread a read.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

I wasn't expecting an application to be able to affect the way notifications work, that's interesting. I will give that thread a read.

It's not that Whatsapp affects any other apps' notification, it is that Whatsapp themselves have the most unprofessional way of dealing with notifications.

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

Only thing that I hate in wp8 is that a notification comes up on the lock screen and IF you miss it, you have to unlock the phone etc. I like tapping on the bar and then it goes into the text etc.

AngelosP

Dec 24, 2012
Visit site
That's true only for a first few minutes till the app sleeps. Once the app sleeps i.e. on phone sleeping - you will get notifications to wake you up. When you lock screen, the first few minutes, it doesn't pause the app so you will keep receiving messages as if you were reading it real time. I don't know how other OS deal with it though.

I want to make sure I understand this correctly. While a WP8 application goes to "sleep" (by pressing the home button, switching to another app or going to the home screen) it is still considered "active" and "with focus" so it keeps on receiving new data and not generating notifications. When I open the app again, I see the new data and I think that I "missed" those notifications.

Is the architecture really flawed in this way or am I missing something?

win8_lumia520

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
How to stop WhatsApp status bar notifications in Lumia520

Hi

i just got my lumia 2 days ago.. whenever i get a whatsapp message i get a notification at the top of my phone and i gotta swipe it everytime to make it go.. its really irritating when i log on to the net after a long while as all the whatsapp msg come as notifications one after the other and i hav to swipe everyone of them separately...:cry:

Is there any way i can disable these notifications?? Kindly help.. :cry:

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to stop WhatsApp status bar notifications in Lumia520

There isn't a way to disable toast notifications right now.

Vaibhav Chauhan

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to stop WhatsApp status bar notifications in Lumia520

The notifications go away after some time, maybe a minute or less, no need to swipe them all.

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
At the bottom of the article it says
- v2.9.69 (submitted on 16-04)

In addition to UI improvements we've rewritten our background agent code for increased performance (biggest plus no more music API usage)
New smileys
Fixes notification issues for WP8 users.
Users can now see smileys on the double wide tile.
Fast resume. (If the app is open and you click on the incoming notification it opens as if in Android, very fast really)
On the start-up now it ask you to backup your chat history.
Large images shown

but the article itself speaks of 3.0
Confused :/

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
At the bottom of the article it says
- v2.9.69 (submitted on 16-04)

In addition to UI improvements we've rewritten our background agent code for increased performance (biggest plus no more music API usage)
New smileys
Fixes notification issues for WP8 users.
Users can now see smileys on the double wide tile.
Fast resume. (If the app is open and you click on the incoming notification it opens as if in Android, very fast really)
On the start-up now it ask you to backup your chat history.
Large images shown

but the article itself speaks of 3.0
Confused :/

I just re read the article a couple times. It is a bit misleading. Right now we're on version2.9.4
Two ways it can be interpreted.

1) 2.9.69 is in beta and available now to beta testers but when it comes out of beta they will change the version number to 3.0?
2) 2.9.69 is out of beta and has been submitted to the store and will be released as 2.9.69. With regards to the 3.0 , these version numbers are usually big land marks for apps and it could be a future version with even more awesome changes.

BAH! I know what I want to say but I cant find the words to say it. The article is confusing.

But I think 2.9.69 has been submitted to the store as beta. More changes need to be added and it will be changed to 3.0 when released to the public, as it is a ton load of big features. Note, the article says "Below is the latest Changelog, though more features may be added before this gets released to the public:"

Either way, a new and improved whatsapp is coming and I am happy about that!

hamzie11

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I just re read the article a couple times. It is a bit misleading. Right now we're on version2.9.4
Two ways it can be interpreted.

1) 2.9.69 is in beta and available now to beta testers but when it comes out of beta they will change the version number to 3.0?
2) 2.9.69 is out of beta and has been submitted to the store and will be released as 2.9.69. With regards to the 3.0 , these version numbers are usually big land marks for apps and it could be a future version with even more awesome changes.

BAH! I know what I want to say but I cant find the words to say it. The article is confusing.

But I think 2.9.69 has been submitted to the store as beta. More changes need to be added and it will be changed to 3.0 when released to the public, as it is a ton load of big features. Note, the article says "Below is the latest Changelog, though more features may be added before this gets released to the public:"

Either way, a new and improved whatsapp is coming and I am happy about that!

well if it really was submitted 2 - 3 days ago, shouldnt be long till we get it!

simonnyc

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way of getting the # of ppl that are using whatsapp between wp7 and wp8? would be interesting to see the installed base among Windows Phone? Maybe if this # is high enough, it'll encourage other developers to develop for WP8

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I want to make sure I understand this correctly. While a WP8 application goes to "sleep" (by pressing the home button, switching to another app or going to the home screen) it is still considered "active" and "with focus" so it keeps on receiving new data and not generating notifications. When I open the app again, I see the new data and I think that I "missed" those notifications.

Is the architecture really flawed in this way or am I missing something?

When you go away from app screen, your app sleeps in background. However that means that the app isn't running draining your battery but it doesn't apply to push notifications for the apps that allow push. When you go away from the screen it goes in "tombstone" state but when you receive a notification it wakes up. However with the current audio API it stays woken up even when it is tombstoned and hence related battery drain. The whole not generating notifications is discussed a few times about whatsapp. In short it doesn't do it because of flawed server settings its using. I think with the new update in the coming week, we might see better notifications from Whatsapp finally!

The notifications go away after some time, maybe a minute or less, no need to swipe them all.

It's 10 seconds per toast. So if you get spammed by 1000 messages, you are looking at 10,000 seconds before each of these notification goes away on its own or 10,000 swipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss