Instagraph Official Discussion

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Instagraph

The article on the first page states categorically it's not something where a switch can be flipped and the app is ruined.
it also says its using a server relay, so it would be really easy for Instagram to block any activity from that address. They could then change addresses and resolve it, and Instagram could block that. Basically, it may continue to work, but it won't be smooth and will probably have a lot of interruptions.

I guess that's better than nothing, but its not really a solution.

and this is if it even makes it to the Store, which it may not even get that far.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

I have a feeling Instagram will lobby to MS to keep it out of the store since it uses some kind of workaround. They will probably label it as an "exploit" and get it shut down.

Their method is not a product of reverse engineering(still legal). They use instagram original app in a virtual machine(this is also legal). They will most probably just block the ip from where the traffic originates and render the virtual machine useless.
Anyway this is some expensive workaround.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site

Their method is not a product of reverse engineering(still legal). They use instagram original app in a virtual machine(this is also legal). They will most probably just block the ip from where the traffic originates and render the virtual machine useless.
Anyway this is some expensive workaround.

Where did you get this information from?

I do not believe Instagraph has ever said anything about a virtual machine.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
But Instagraph is a good thing! It shows how bad those poor Instaddicts wants the app and maybe Instagram will finally do something lol if it fails, i doubt they will ever believe WP needs it THAT much!

So i don't think Instagraph will be shut down...Instagram will prolly see how this app succeeds and then finally make an official one!

So i say to actually support this app along with #2instawithlove to attract Instagram attention to WP! Or perhaps they'll even give full API for Instagraph? Remember that "whitelist" talk?

Anything is possible xD

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site

Where did you get this information from?

I do not believe Instagraph has ever said anything about a virtual machine.

No they didn't. They mentioned the azure ecosystem. And it's shown in the movie how it works. And from there anyone can make this educated guess. And there are only 2 ways to solve the instagram upload. Reverse engineer the android app or run the app in a virtual machine. They went for the second approach because if they would had reverse engineered the android app the upload would have been directly from the app and there would have been no need for a reroute through a server.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
And here comes all the "It's not official" / "I can't view pictures" / "I can't post to facebook" etc rant threads

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
It will get shut down before it gains any kind of traction. Nice attempt that will hopefully show fb turds that instagram is needed on WP.

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site

No they didn't. They mentioned the azure ecosystem. And it's shown in the movie how it works. And from there anyone can make this educated guess. And there are only 2 ways to solve the instagram upload. Reverse engineer the android app or run the app in a virtual machine. They went for the second approach because if they would had reverse engineered the android app the upload would have been directly from the app and there would have been no need for a reroute through a server.

I came to the same conclusion, a bunch of VMs running the official Instagram app. Completely legal and somewhat smart way of overcoming the upload problem if you ask me. Will be very difficult for instagram to block other than the IP addresses the servers are on and that can be easily changed.

Nicholas Valbusa

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

I came to the same conclusion, a bunch of VMs running the official Instagram app. Completely legal and somewhat smart way of overcoming the upload problem if you ask me. Will be very difficult for instagram to block other than the IP addresses the servers are on and that can be easily changed.

The easiest solution for Instagram it's probably to contact Microsoft and ask to remove the app from the Marketplace.

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

BenTR

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site

The easiest solution for Instagram it's probably to contact Microsoft and ask to remove the app from the Marketplace.

If it is all legal, why would MS remove it? They wouldn't (I expect), and shouldn't.

If it is illegal, then it should not be there in the first place, whether Instagram complains or not.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Will be very difficult for instagram to block other than the IP addresses the servers are on and that can be easily changed.
its very easy to block, very easy to change the address for the server, and its very easy for instagram to block that, etc...

rinse repeat

it may work, but expect lots of interruptions and problems

Ted Ritsick

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I think instagram just gives up and gives us an official app instead of constantly playing cat and mouse with these devs. There is an enormous pent up demand for this in WP, no point in fighting it since this is going to probably be the top app on the platform when it comes out.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
its very easy to block, very easy to change the address for the server, and its very easy for instagram to block that, etc...

rinse repeat

it may work, but expect lots of interruptions and problems

I'm not sure is that easy to escape the ban. Using a virtual machine means they either have to host the server themselves(a lot of headaches) and have a fixed ip so easily banned. They chose to go with azure(they could have chose Amazon services too) but you only have so many windows azure ips and I believe you can find them all easily and block them all. So they can't just change ip and be done with it.

The solution is truly ingenious and I honestly don't believe instagram will block anything. What I worry about are the monthly costs. Depending on the number of users and their complains it may get out of hand.

Kudos for them for having the courage to make it happened and for the solution they chose. I don't see legal difficulties or technical issues. But I do see a monetization problem. So in the end they might not even break even in development and maintenance costs.

Unfortunately people do not have a need for uploading pictures to instagram. What they want is instragram branded app and nothing else will be good for them. I hope to not go for add supported route and take a paid approach get the necessary profits and then instagram brings the official app.

This is instagram most successful "defense strategy" against such attempts make it not economically viable for 3rd party to use their system without signing with them.

BenTR

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
[...]
Unfortunately people do not have a need for uploading pictures to instagram. What they want is instragram branded app and nothing else will be good for them. I hope to not go for add supported route and take a paid approach get the necessary profits and then instagram brings the official app.
[...]
True, people do want the branded app, but if Instagraph has approximately the same functionality as an official app, I don't think it will matter that much. Metrotube appears to be quite popular, for example.

Of course, if Instagraph turns out to be a hopelessly unreliable hack or is sorely lacking features, that is a different matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs