What makes WP8 better than iOS and Android? What makes it worse?

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
What do you guys think?

Here are my thoughts. Just to let you know some are objective, and some are subjective so don't flame me if you disagree. =<

Better:
Live Tiles
Extremely user friendly - No bugs, or step-by-step tutorials like in Android.
Extremely FLUID and SMOOTH animations and experience.
Good looking tiles, and apps
King ProShot
Amazing Weather HD
Integration of email is amazing (at least in my experience)
Microsoft Office + Skydrive = Hundreds and hundreds of essays finished for college ( YES, believe it or not! I finish essays everywhere on my 920 )
No Malwares.
Amazing games (well at least the ones we have)
Last but not the least, OUR TINY, CLOSE, TIGHT-KNIT FAMILY HERE IN WPCentral! I love that we fight and argue all the time, but at the end of the day we're like family. <3

Worse:
Apps (That's subjective)
*Key apps that can make or break our market share* You know what they are.
Not as "customizable" as Android Phones (Tiles can get boring at times, only light and dark background) - again it's subjective
Sometimes, our current color schemes can get repetitive, dull, and boring (subjective)
Some feature apps are terrible in our ecosystem, such as FB, etc..
Market Share.
Community is not big enough for resources.

I would add "no notifications" but, we already have Unification, and we know that WPB will come out with it.

What are your thoughts?

Bobert_123

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
What do you guys think?

Here are my thoughts. Just to let you know some are objective, and some are subjective so don't flame me if you disagree. =<

Better:
Live Tiles
Extremely user friendly - No bugs, or step-by-step tutorials like in Android.
Extremely FLUID and SMOOTH animations and experience.
Good looking tiles, and apps
King ProShot
Amazing Weather HD
Integration of email is amazing (at least in my experience)
Microsoft Office + Skydrive = Hundreds and hundreds of essays finished for college ( YES, believe it or not! I finish essays everywhere on my 920 )
No Malwares.
Amazing games (well at least the ones we have)
Last but not the least, OUR TINY, CLOSE, TIGHT-KNIT FAMILY HERE IN WPCentral! I love that we fight and argue all the time, but at the end of the day we're like family. <3

Worse:
Apps (That's subjective)
*Key apps that can make or break our market share* You know what they are.
Not as "customizable" as Android Phones (Tiles can get boring at times, only light and dark background) - again it's subjective
Sometimes, our current color schemes can get repetitive, dull, and boring (subjective)
Some feature apps are terrible in our ecosystem, such as FB, etc..
Market Share.
Community is not big enough for resources.

I would add "no notifications" but, we already have Unification, and we know that WPB will come out with it.

What are your thoughts?

You WP guys have some pretty cool looking hardware

mjrtoo

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Data integration across the platform, no other OS is as data centric as WP. The search function alone is worth trying it out.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Stability, cleanliness, extremely simple to use, secure apps (unlike droid which needs to see my phone calls, phonebook, color of my trousers etc.,)

Theri0n

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
iOS is for hipsters.

Android is for teens and 30+ years old virgin elfs of level 80.

WP should be the business-oriented something ahead of Blackberry, but right now loses markets to iPhone as Windows RT devices to iPad.

kinslayer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I just spent a week with a Galaxy Note II (borrowed) to see what it's like. I had also done the same with Nexus 4 and a Galaxy S3. I really wanted to "live" with one to really see how I would like them. You always get that feeling of "am I missing out on something? what if Android is so much better?". Only way to find out is to truly live with a device and see. So the SIM went out of my yellow Lumia 920 and went into the Galaxy Note II. Powered off my 920 and put it away for a week.

It was a very interesting experiment for me. Very. First, the good stuff:
- The battery life of the Galaxy Note II is great. Not a surprise given how big it is hence it has 3000mAh battery. But it was nice for sure to have that.
- The screen on the phone when watching video was *great*. Otherwise it was good.
- Nice to have access to more apps, but didn't really make or break the experience for me. I have all the apps I truly need on my 920 at this point.
- Swype keyboard was really nice once I got used to it! I see why people like it now.

Now the not so good and why I was extremely happy to go back to my 920.

Android is open. Very open. You can do anything you want with it and OEMs sure do. Thing is, they are so focused on gimmicks to sell phones, that the basic core functionality that everyone uses is subpar. Let me take a simple example that is *very* critical for me on a phone: Music. Music on android, in my opinion, is a horrible experience. For starters, *any* notification sound that plays (and there are a million of those - more on that later) it will play over your music completely. Android will mute the sound coming out of your music (not pause) to play the notification and then bring the music back. On bluetooth (in the car), it's worse. The music volume is lowered down and the notification sound is played THROUGH the phone! The physical phone speaker! Not the car! It is *so* irritating I have no words to stress how much. Music is a very immersive activity. Stop taking me out of it every time a notification plays!!! WP doesn't have that issue.

Then there's the fact that there is no central audio controller for the phone as far as I could tell. You listen to Pandora (our app is *way* better by the way)? cool... you can pause it from the notification center. Amazon? it puts a different looking controller in the notification center and can put one on the lockscreen as well (Pandora can't). If you happen to have a PIN code on your phone, the amazon lock screen widget will appear on top of it halfway as you're typing your PIN code... sigh... had to dismiss it to continue entering my PIN code. Apparently they didn't account for users having a PIN code. Music apps will for the most part successfully resume playing when get back in the car after a while. But I found Amazon MP3 player to be more reliable in that fashion than Pandora for instance. Pandora sometimes would just not play and I have to go run the app again. I guess Android killed it or something. Amazon seems to have done something to make that better.

See where I am going with that? Everything on Android has its own "experience". Even for apps that do the same kind of activity: playing music. They are different enough to be annoying. They work differently, behave differently under certain circumstances. But in the end, they are all the same class of apps: Music. A core functionality of the phone. Throw in podcast apps, audible, etc and the "experiences" are even more variable. Each controlled slightly differently, etc. On WP and iOS, there is an audio player infrastructure on the phone that you hook into, so it works the same for everything. You really miss that once you get used to it.

This paradigm, every app is an experience, is everywhere on Android. The back button works a bit differently for every app. WP has a bit of this issue, but I felt it more pronounced in Android. Maybe I am just not used to its flavor of back button quirkiness.

Notifications. Man... OK. Notification center is neat. I get it. But when you set up your phone, put some email accounts, facebook, twitter, etc. the phone will *not* shut the hell up all day. Beeps and birds chirping all freaking day long. LED blinking blue as well. That's the "default" experience that every non-techie gets. Now, remember the music experience with beeps? yeah. OK, how do I turn this stuff off? you go find every app and find out where inside it you can turn off the notifications... maybe there's a central place, but it wasn't obvious. I may find it, but most people probably won't. So the default experience is a very noisy phone.

Then there was something that truly made me unhappy. A bit of context though as to know why it did. Windows Desktop OS is not without its faults. Sure, it's popular and does a pretty good job doing what it does, but it does make you wish it was a bit different. Take for instance malware on Windows, that's annoying. Or apps that try to trick you by faking an Antivirus scan and having you download/install weird stuff. Or apps that when you install them they drop shortcuts all over your desktop to their "search" engines, etc. That stuff is annoying. But in Windows defense, it was created in a time different than today. It had a different set of challenges. Internet wasn't around. Security wasn't a big concern. Privacy wasn't, etc. It took *great* effort to bring it up to today's world without breaking the wealth of apps that already exist. With Windows 8, we are starting to see a break from the old world with Metro which means it can be designed from the ground up for today's set of challenges without worrying about background compat.

Android didn't have any of those challenges. There was no wealth of apps to force it from being designed for today's world. So here's the scenario that made me mad. I am playing with the settings. I find a way to change the fonts on the system. Very cool! It works *really* well. The new font takes over everywhere and allows some nice customization! It only had 3 or so fonts though but it had a button labeled "Get more fonts". Sweet! I tap it and it takes me to the store with lots of fonts to download! This is *awesome*!!! I download one and that's when things went really bad for me. After it installed, at some point when I ran it, it popped up some weird window that was faking an antivirus scan... wtf?? really? what is this? 1999? it came with all the cliches: the progress bar, the "we found stuff, download this to remove it", etc. oh man... to add insult to injury, the app added another shortcut to the home screen called "Search". It takes you to some funky, who knows what, search engine in the browser.

Why? Why does this need to happen? Sure, I am a technical user and I know enough to not fall for this crap. But this device is *not* sold ONLY to techies. In fact, millions upon millions are sold to very non-techie people. It wasn't even a convoluted way to get to that fonts app. It was directly off of the settings path :/ When this stuff happens in Windows, at least I can say it wasn't designed for that world and it was hard to change it properly without breaking everything. But android has no such excuse :( It could have been designed to avoid crap like that from the start. Why wasn't it? I will never know.

Overall, I was extremely happy to go back to my Lumia 920. People tell you Android 4.1.x is lag free? yeah...compared to other androids. The instant you go back to WP, you feel how smooth it is. Android is smooth*ER* now, but it still has variable perf. Sometimes it just lags a bit for no reason, then it's gone. It's the variability in perf that makes it obvious. It probably would be fine if it had somewhat of a consistent perf even if it's not super great.

So yeah, I am very glad to have lived the experience. There is a lot to like about Android for sure. But for *ME* and *MY* usage and needs, it had more annoyances than good stuff. I didn't feel like there's something there that would make me want to keep using it. WP, again for me, is just a much more polished experience.

Which android device did I like best? Nexus 4 for sure. The pure android is way better than whatever Samsung is doing on their devices. Their software is just not that great and i feel it's probably why I see that lag every once a while. Nexus 4 didn't have the best hardware, but the experience was the best.

anyway...long post...I know... I am awake at night for some reason. Again, this is my own experience with my own needs and preferences. Other people will disagree because they have different needs.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
They gave me an iPhone for work. Today I'm sick and so went to turn on my Out of Office. I could not believe that the feature is not there. I have read that "there's an app for that" but company policy is not to install any apps. I don't know who the bigger fail is: Apple or my company's IT dept for giving me this POS.

farukdgn

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
iOS is for hipsters.

Android is for teens and 30+ years old virgin elfs of level 80.

WP should be the business-oriented something ahead of Blackberry, but right now loses markets to iPhone as Windows RT devices to iPad.

As I heard, Surface users throw their iPads away. Why should wp be business oriented? It's fun to play with. Others are more boring and for business.

Ridemyscooter86

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I like WP much better just because I never have to worry about it, I guess only when I drop my phone and crack the screen which I did last night :(. (Just bought a used one on ebay, should be here tomorrow)!

Seriously, the OS is simple, its clean, and I personally love how stylish and futuristic it feels, compared to iOS or clunky android. The only other OS that I could put on par with WP would be webOS because its still, other than wp, the most different OS out there, but I wont go on about that lest I want to break out into tears over what HP did to it....

The OS is simple, yet very customizeable. What makes the live tiles great is that they accomplish the same goal as widgets, but don't break the ui design: what I mean is if you look at most people's android phones, they have a time widget which is circular, for example, and have a weather widget the shape of a cloud in a bright orange box, and then a green sports widget with rounded corners...etc, none of the ui elements match up and it looks all cluttered and mismatched. It might sound like a quibble, but I can always tell that its android because it looks ugly, even though iOS is too simple for my taste, they at least got the uniformity part right.

Still, the live tiles let you choose the size of the information you want displayed, I'm a heavy texter, so my text app is the big rectangle. My phone app and settings button, are the really small square because they aren't going to display any useful live info. It lets me choose what information to display up front and I really like that, the whole get in get out philosophy Microsoft is employing for windows 8/wp8 is really great and good looking.

Not only that, the system is rock solid, I have literally never had my wp crash at all (save for the spotify app on wp7 which crashes all the time).
I also love how integrated it is with windows 8 and how my skydrive, xbox, and my profile seamlessly sync together.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't care about how the UI looks - terms like 'elegant' and 'consistent' mean nothing to me. I am ambiguous towards WP's Tiles and general UX - it seems that there's a lot of blank space which could be used to display information. For example, most tiles have a large part of solid colour - why should this not change to indicate information. Say if I had light blue tiles, the SMS tiles should flash red (say once every 3-4 seconds or longer) indicating unread messages.

In general, I find that WP's UI, though consistent, is inefficient. I can get far more information and interactivity from Android widgets. As for consistency, I personally find it a little stimulating to discover what new UI paradigms each app brings - and learn from them. I understand that this is difficult for non-technological people, but it's difficult to understand how anyone who calls themselves even moderately techie could complain about this.

Notifications. Man... OK. Notification center is neat. I get it. But when you set up your phone, put some email accounts, facebook, twitter, etc. the phone will *not* shut the hell up all day. Beeps and birds chirping all freaking day long. LED blinking blue as well. That's the "default" experience that every non-techie gets. Now, remember the music experience with beeps? yeah. OK, how do I turn this stuff off? you go find every app and find out where inside it you can turn off the notifications... maybe there's a central place, but it wasn't obvious. I may find it, but most people probably won't. So the default experience is a very noisy phone.

Each app, indeed each account in each app can be configured with a different notification (or lack of same). So my phone will vibrate for WhatsApp and Gtalk messages, while it makes a tone with no vibration for emails and texts. I find this level of control the single most desirable thing about Android, TBH.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I dont think WP8 is that much awesome at this point of time. WP8 is still buggy, loads of things needs to be implemented. It's just the fluidity of OS and the Live tiles(which make it so interesting). Apart from the colourful themes, WP8 has alot of limitations when compared to Android. Android can fulfill everyone's wishes, loads of App development, rotation lock, centralized notification system, multi sound profile, Citrix app Support, task manager, flashing the phone is possible too. I could go on and on :)

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Abel:
I disagree that live tiles are better. They're good, but hard to say they're a better system than the android homescreen system.
User friendly... Well maybe. Its easier and cleaner. I think several things in wp is more troublesome than in android. For instance toggles, and settings. Finding the equalizer, for instance, is insanely annoying in wp.
The fluidity of WP is great. The delays are covered with animations and it seems to flow well, at least consistently.
Generally the apps in wp have a more uniform look, albeit less customizable.
Proshot i have no experience with.
Amazing Weather HD isn't any better than some of the android alternatives.
Email integration is about equal, except you can send more filetypes on android.

Office editors are available for Android, though it is great on WP8.
Gamingwise it's worse on wp, obviously.

Kinslayer: My WP blasts notification sounds over my music in wp. It doesn't mute the sound though, as you say it does on android. Not sure if that happens on my s4, I haven't noticed it at least. I'll try to pay attention to it next time, but I haven't noticed it being intrusive at all.

Android isn't always as fluid as WP, but most of that is due to WP masking very well with animations.. With regards to occasional lag it happens less frequently in WP for sure. My s4 had some lag when pressing the homekey to return to the homescreen from for instance Internet. I discovered that the perceived lag was merely an animation delay, which (since its android) I could remove, making it snappier..

As for the nexus vs Samsung thing, I think it's mostly due to the version/phone you were using. On s4 the Samsung overlay is quite well done.

Ridemyscooter: today you can make your android look basically however you want it to look. So however futuristic you might feel wp is, android can do it as well. If desired.. Clunky is definitely not a good description.

Android phones are as cluttered and mismatched as the user wants. The cleanest sleekest coolest homescreens are on android. The worst are as well.
The fact is that widgets on android allows you to make it what ever you want.

I recently switched from 920 to s4.

My experience so far is this:

Spotify works flawlessly now.
Battery is greatly improved.
Video playback is far better.
The personalization is great.
FB chat is amazing. I like flicking the heads around the homescreen.
Design wise I prefer the s4.
Stutters at random. Not often but sometimes.
Configuring your homescreen PEERFECTLY is a huge daunting task that can be overwhelming. But I love that I can.
It charges insanely fast, which is good.
Split view is great.
Air view is actually useful. Same goes for air gestures, but not as much as air view.
Eye control works well, but not something I use.
SwiftKey is far better than the wp8 keyboard.

All in all its a big change, but one I'm happy about so far.

Theri0n

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I did exactly that way because I want something could be used when sitting in the coach at hotel lobby, airport lunge, flight, living room or in the bed, but with MS Office.

Windows RT device is Godsend for frequently traveling executive and sub-executive personnel.

Ben Lehtovaara

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm always shocked when people say Android is more customizable. On android you can reskin your grid of icons and move them around. On WP you can pin ANYTHING to your start screen, design a custom layout with tiles sized to your workflow, and even take your favorite images and create functional tiles from them. Microsoft needs to advertise that better and introduce official apps for making your own live tiles.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Really? I'm not sure you know how customizable android really is.

Grid of icons? You mean widgets, folders, app shortcuts and non app centric shortcuts like jumping to a specific homescreen? All of which can be made to your liking.

For instance a lot of screens over at mycolorscreen.com.

Are you thinking of ios?

Cause on android you can tailor it to your specific use patterns and customize your homescreen to be more productive.

And you can not pin "ANYTHING" to your home screen. Take toggles for instance. Or music controls.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
You can pin toggles, music controls(as they are widgets), favourite contacts(to call directly too), app shortcuts, folders(rename them), you can have different launchers, display 3d effects.

So definitely, Android is more customizable.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
"Extremely FLUID and SMOOTH animations and experience."

this and some other mentioned problems on Android are easily solved if you buy Nexus :) if you want Android you have the choice(except for a good camera)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos