Firefox for Windows phone 8

Vb2012

Banned
Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone heard anything of a plan to support wp8 ? I know they have made an app for Windows 8 or RT but do they have any plans for Windows phone 8? :/

It doesn't have to be Firefox it can be any other so please let us all know !!! :'(

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't think the SDK for WP8 allows it. I could be wrong, Hopefully a developer will pop in this thread and let us know if it's possible.

Vb2012

Banned
Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think the SDK for WP8 allows it. I could be wrong, Hopefully a developer will pop in this thread and let us know if it's possible.

in what way if you are talking about not using ur own engine your wrong because uc browser uses webkit were you talking about that. Lol what were you referring to ? xD

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I am saying Microsoft no longer allows developers to build C++ applications like Firefox, for the Windows Phone Marketplace. Hopefully a developer will pop in this thread.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
in what way if you are talking about not using ur own engine your wrong because uc browser uses webkit were you talking about that. Lol what were you referring to ? xD

uc browser does not use webkit

C++ is allowed for creation of WinRT Components(COM components from win32 on steroids). You can't access the XAML stack(no access to buttons, menus, etc) from c++ so you either link with C# for UI or you redo the UI using DirectX.

Has anyone heard anything of a plan to support wp8 ? I know they have made an app for Windows 8 or RT but do they have any plans for Windows phone 8? :/

Firefox do not exist on windows 8(nor RT nor x86 version).

Since the market share is low(no effective data mining for making profit) and you cant make money by selling browsers(and adds will eat too much space to make it usable) I doubt someone will invest the time and money to port firefox to the platform.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Warning: If this thread is to stay open, it will have to stay open in a civilized way. No matter how right or wrong you are on the discussion, WPCentral WILL NOT tolerate personal attacks. This time I've only warned those involved (you know who you are!) but next time I will close the thread and will be forced to ban the related members. Please don't make me do that as I've an excellent track record of not banning anyone! I like this as a happy family with rowdy members who can discuss without personal attacks. Remember this is *just* a mobile phone you are talking about! Chill.

I've cleaned the thread, but any more reports of such posts and this thread is closed, sorry!

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Yas, Lord rockstarzzz clocking rude people!

And, as far as I know there will be a Firefox for RT sometimes this year, but no news for WP8 yet.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I love Firefox. It is my favorite desktop browser. But I unfortunately do not see it coming to WinPhone. Anyone in the Mozilla Foundation with mobile programming experience is working on the Firefox OS.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I personally wouldn't expect it any time soon to be honest. Firefox made its first appearance for PC's way back in 2004 but didn't make it onto mobile devices until 2010 (Maemo) and then Android devices until 2011.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
i just hope for firefox, because IE disappoint a lot. Like i cant download these pdf that are served on an internal site...firefox for Nokia N9 would do it.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
thats unofficial

...does it have ANY kind of connection to Mozilla at all? Or is it just some guy taking the name?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05