Moga Controller Windows Phone 8

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
So they are saying this controller will be available for Windows Phone 8 on April 15th. Will the be a specific version? Or do you just buy the same sold for the Android and its a simple software update? Anyone know the situation with this? Thanks.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I can't tell what is going on with this. I'm pretty excited about getting one, but I can only find the 'Android' version. So far it doesn't look like Gameloft is supporting this on Windows Phone (which for me would be the main reason to get one - it is supported in the Android versions of Dark Knight Rises and MC4, but not on Windows Phone as of yet at least) - so I'm not sure what games will even support it other than the drift game that WPC previewed it with. I inquired about a WP version of the SDK for developers weeks ago but never got a response back from MOGA.

DeltaRanger509

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
Moga announced and released the SDK during GDC. WPCentral reported on it twice. By my understanding, the Moga Pro will work with Windows Phone. I don't think there's a different version of the controller specifically for Windows Phone, but I might be wrong.

In a related note, I've been looking for any announcements of games that will support the Moga Pro on Windows Phone, but haven't found anything. Here's to hoping that there will be some kind of announce on game support when he controller starts shipping. I'd kill for Modern Combat 4 support!

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
So I contacted Moga about the situation. I love it when companies know nothing about their products, yet their PR department is running around telling you it is available TODAY. Complete clowns. This was their response:

Hello Jason,

Thanks for writing to us. Unfortunately, the MOGA Controller does not work with Windows phones, it only works with Android devices at this time. Should this ever change, we will make announcements on our website and social media outlets. Please stay tuned to them for future MOGA news.

Sincerely,
Aaron
PowerA

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Well that certainly isn't a very encouraging response. Maybe we can get Paul to contact them and get some answers. Also, I just checked out the Amazon page to see about possibly ordering one anyway but they are showing a backorder now (Usually ships within 3 to 4 weeks)

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Does windows phone even allow this? Microsoft would need to release a firmware update allowing this if I'm correct. Hell I don't even think RT can support this.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Does windows phone even allow this? Microsoft would need to release a firmware update allowing this if I'm correct. Hell I don't even think RT can support this.

That's the first thing I thought when I saw this post come up: Hands-on with the MOGA Pro Controller and Windows Phone at GDC | Windows Phone Central, but it looks like they've figure it out somehow - or maybe the reason we haven't seen the WP version yet is because they are waiting for a firmware update?

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
It's definitely compatible with Windows Phone right out of the gate. Not sure why that PowerA employee got his response so wrong.
Of course, it will also take a while for games to actually start supporting the controller.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
It's definitely compatible with Windows Phone right out of the gate. Not sure why that PowerA employee got his response so wrong.
Of course, it will also take a while for games to actually start supporting the controller.
So I can order a pro controller now, even though it says it only supports Android 2.3+ and I should be good still?

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
So I can order a pro controller now, even though it says it only supports Android 2.3+ and I should be good still?

Yes.

About the RT question, the controller would work with RT if the company created an SDK for RT and then RT games supported it. AFAIK, no such support has been announced. Also, PowerA sadly does not intend to create a general Windows driver for the controller, so no using the controller with a PC... which is short-sighted IMO.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Ah, that's a shame about no driver for PC. I'm also curious, without a specific Windows Phone version for the MOGA Pro - how are they (and developers) going to know how well it is selling for that genre of device - and as such, whether or not it is worth it for WP developers to support in their games.

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I got this response:

Thank you for contacting us. At this time, the only information we have announced is that we have made the SDK available to Windows Apps developers. We have not official timeline as to if and when the MOGA Pro will support Windows devices. Should this happen, we will make an announcement on our website and social media outlets. Please stay tuned for any future news. Thanks again for your time and for your interest in the MOGA Pro.

Sincerely,

Dan
MOGA Customer Support

I'm wondering since WP8 doesn't support HID gamepad input, how can this possibly work without some sort of firmware update or third party program (doesn't it use the Pivot app to connect on Android? Or does it just connect as a regular bluetooth gamepad on Android?)

evilrobot

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
Moga announced and released the SDK during GDC. WPCentral reported on it twice.

That may be true, but there isn't anywhere on their site to actually get the WP SDK, the one on their development page is only for Android devices. I sent them an email requesting a copy of the WP SDK several weeks ago and haven't heard back from them at all.

Mainer82

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I'd love to see WPCentral make a list of games that support the controller. Can anyone confirm if SNES8x and vNESLight Pro support WP8?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb