Galaxy S4 Camera Dominates the competition.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
As long as Google keeps spying on its users I will not consider an Android device. I don't care what features are presented -- Google is still creepy and should be avoided. To say the new Android phone has a great camera is like saying, "Hey that child molester sure is a sharp dresser." He's still a child molester and should be avoided.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
But you can't dispute that hes a sharp dresser. Which is what the topic is about.

Wether or not you feel somehow that google invades your privacy or not wasn't the discussion.
Personally I have yet to see the downside of that.

And of course, child molesters are hailed as icons sometimes. Just look at Chaplin and Elvis.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
That wasn't an expert testing those phones, and other reviews put the 920 above the S4. Just a paid Samsung or Google site.

A paid Samsung or Google site like phonearena?

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Samsung-Galaxy-S4-vs-Nokia-Lumia-920_id3294/page/3

I have no idea if phonearena has any allegiance to an OS or producer. They might.

I dont know, it seems like the s4 has a better camera. If you want me to, I can do a comparison when I get my s4?

Id love to see links to those other tests youce,seen where the 920 beats the s4 on camera, cant find any myself.

Btw: i never said that test was done by am expert, so don't leave here with that faulty belief :) .

Honestabe: what would you set as requirements for "good phone" yourself? Clearly the s2 and s3 aren't phones you consider good, regardless of what the majority of people say.

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, just compare Lumia 920 vs. Galaxy S4 videos here ... and there is even a lag with S4 (just look 2:09) ...

Lumia 920 vs Galaxy S4 video stabilisation test - YouTube

About Lumia 920 night photos, I really think that they are great ones and I believe that the next fw (PR 2.0) make them even better ...

Nokia Lumia 720 low-light shootout vs the Lumia 920, Note 2 & Xperia Z

Nokia to bring new “Smart Camera” Lens to Lumias in PR 2.0 update : My Nokia Blog

Anyway, I am sure that S4 will be a best seller in any case ...

Last edited:

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned the camera on the 920 has been over-rated and over-hyped and isn't all that great. The problem with the 920 is that it fails to focus the entire shot and if you look closely at the examples the OP linked to you'll see what I mean.

@Microsoftjunkie

Why should we have to wait for an "expert" to test the cameras when it's the average Joe who'll be using the phones' camera? They are supposed to be ***** proof point and shoot cameras, not professional DSLR's.

Samsung produce average cameras for their phones and this S4 is no different. And to be honest, the end results look too artificial with too much post processing which is typical with Samsung camera phones.

Give it a few months for the next new camera phone to come along from some other manufacturer (likely a Nokia Pureview) and we can have the same conversation all over again.

MacDaMachine

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
S4 should have a better camera, it makes sense. I still have a great camera in my 920. Fanboys have to have a pissing contest though.

To me, obviously the S4, One, Note 2, S3, 8X, and 920, Xperia Z are all great phones. Only a fan boy would try to say otherwise.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ruined: any tests that verify that statement?

Jaripi: yes obviously the 920 has ois and video stabilization should be better, and lowlight on the 920 is amazing. However, that doesn't seal it as a winner overall, right?

Terence: agreed, the 808 is miles ahead.

Mac: agreed.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
It really doesn't matter how good the camera on the GS4 is if it is housed in cheap Samsung plastic. I just cant even consider their phones as long as they feel like flimsy toys.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Slai: Sure, when both phones come out we will.have all the evidence we need. But there is no way a LED is going to keep up with a real xenon if you are serious about photography.

Common sense dictates that The s4 has inferior flash (and thus low light perf) to the 928 that you can't make up with software due to the xenon. But the tests will prove this shortly when NDA is lifted on 928 :-]

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Ruined: agreed. Personally i never ever use flash, but im intrigued about the camera on the 928.

Odin: personally i prefer the design over the s4 over the older era look of the htc one, and the equal plastic feel but with a much larger bezel and size of the 920.

But taste in design is very individual, some prefer other things.

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
As long as Google keeps spying on its users I will not consider an Android device. I don't care what features are presented -- Google is still creepy and should be avoided. To say the new Android phone has a great camera is like saying, "Hey that child molester sure is a sharp dresser." He's still a child molester and should be avoided.

Hello lippidp, I totally agree about google spying. They have just been fined in Germany, so can only imagine what they do with android. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2036...ring-personal-data-with-street-view-cars.html

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
You know its not really bigger than the lumia 920, right? Just smaller bezels?

As for smoothness, this is from anandtech:

"UI performance is finally at the point on most of these modern devices where it’s just amazingly smooth throughout everything. The Galaxy S 4 is no exception here."

So... Yeah, dat lag.

Edit: i watched the video again from anandtechs hands on, and i see that it doesn't react as fast as it should on certain things, like his hover-gestures and in the gallery. This hasn't been the case on any of the other videos ive seen, perhaps an earlier version or a really bogged down device? But from that video alone i can see that a sceptic would interpret that as a laggy device.
However, as you can see above, in their written reviews they maintain its smoothness, and combined with the fact that no lag was evident in any of the other videos ive seen, it doesn't support the notion that the s4 is laggy.

Last time , many websites said Note 2 is smooth and here is experience in real world

Take Note 2 , S3 etc. Any device with 4.x made by Samsung's touchwiz skin.

Press home button and it takes atleast 0.5 seconds to react and try same with iPhone or WP , Reaction is like reflex action.

Definitely there is lot of lag.

My dad has a Note 2 and everytime It lags , Definitely u can notice it.
For example : My lumia has 6000+ photos and I can immediately see those photos (Opening up gallery or selecting a photo , everything is instant even iPhone gets smoked in this respect , only lag from WP is music player) while on Note 2 there are 5,500 photos and it has it takes minimum 2 seconds to open those list of photos and another 0.5 second to load up the first photo.

Tried same with Galaxy S2 running 2.3 , its very fast compared to Note 2 or S3.

It has something to do with touchwiz or 4.x , 2.3 was great with no issues and no matter what device i saw till now in shop or home , All galaxy devices with 4.x irrespective of specs always lagged.They perform somewhat like my iPod 4th gen running iOS 6.

Device is fast but navigation and small things are horribly lagged.For example , loading contacts or opening up music player with huge library , S2 is still fast than note 2 or S3.

I think it has to do with touchwiz , so much crap samsung has added to android.

P.S : I wanted to get Note 2 till last minute and I was afraid of horrible lags after seeing my dad's and got an 820 finally.

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Slai: Sure, when both phones come out we will.have all the evidence we need. But there is no way a LED is going to keep up with a real xenon if you are serious about photography.

Common sense dictates that The s4 has inferior flash (and thus low light perf) to the 928 that you can't make up with software due to the xenon. But the tests will prove this shortly when NDA is lifted on 928 :-]

But surely, low light photography is all about taking shots without a flash right? Using a flash, especially a Xenon flash, means it's no longer a low light shot.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Sanjay: on my 920 it takes about 0.5 to 1 second before the home screen is finished animating and is fully useable.

My s3 and my 920 rescts quite the same. Might be because I normally change launcher, that could be a thing. WP does look smoother though, since it has those animations that cover quite a bit up.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
That wasn't an expert testing those phones, and other reviews put the 920 above the S4. Just a paid Samsung or Google site.

tl;dr: anything that doesn't agree with my personal opinion has to be a paid samsung/Google site. Anything that praises WP is however the Word of God.

Fanbois...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss