Yxplayer - It plays MKV with FLAC audio!

ShocWave

May 13, 2012
Visit site
So I was browsing the store last week to see if there was a video player for MKV files, and I came across this app called Yxplayer. It was $4.49 (was 2.99 before) and had no free trial. All the reviews were 1 stars and said that the app didn't work. The app was cross-platform, and all the Android and iOS reviews were negative as well.

I tried to look up information on the internet about this app, and came up with nothing. I notice, however, that the app was getting updated in the store every few days, showing that it was actually still in development. After seeing a review on YouTube on the Windows RT version of Yxplayer, showing that it does... work to some extent, I bit the bullet and bought the app.

It works, and it works well for the most part. I've tested a dozen of different file formats and codecs.

What works:
- MKV files
- Video codecs: x264, Xvid, DivX
- Audio codecs: AC3, DTS, AAC, FLAC, MP3, OGG Vorbis
- SRT subtitles

What doesn't work:
- OGM files
- ***/SSA subtitles
- 10 bit / Hi10p

For anime, it does play soft subtitles, but only in SRT format. Which means I need to extract the subtitles, convert the A-S-S to SRT and remux it.
Still, that is much faster than re-encoding the entire video file with hard subs. Subtitle support is buggy though. Lines will only appear on the screen for 3-4 seconds, regardless of the timing. So long lines will vanish off the screen before you finish reading.

Yxplayer is unable to access your pictures or video folders. If you don't have an microSD slot, the only way you can get the files to your phone is by using the app's built in FTP or HTTP server, or downloading through the app's built in web browser.

If you do have an microSD card like me, all you need to do it make a new folder on the card, name it anything you want, and copy the videos over.

The VLC port is progressing slowly, and we have no idea when they'll actually start on the WP8 version. I doubt we'll see anything before the end of the year. For now though, there's Yxplayer.

wp_ss_20130430_0006.jpgwp_ss_20130430_0004.jpg

Last edited:

mtshuksan

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
Thaks for this useful info ! Can you please tell me how i can play a .avi movie together with a .srt subtitle?

MoliPlayer Pro, from iOS and Android, will be released to Windows Phone store on Nov. 8. It supports most of the video and audio formats, mkv, flv, avi, rmvb, vob, divx, xvid, flac, ape, amr, midi etc. It will display external subtitles with .srt, .***, .ssa formats as well. It supports playback of videos which have been uploaded to the camera roll of the phone by USB. Want to give it a try? Please see this post for screen shots and details http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-apps/248907-new-all-format-video-music-player-anyone.html

headphoneus

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
MoliPlayer Pro, from iOS and Android, will be released to Windows Phone store on Nov. 8. It supports most of the video and audio formats, mkv, flv, avi, rmvb, vob, divx, xvid, flac, ape, amr, midi etc.
Thank you so much for making this app. I love how I can download/buy flac files on ucbrowser and open it directly in moliplayer. Love your player on iPad.

Do you guys plan to add SMB server support and background audio support in future?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo