Here maps on WP8 suck !

SergikUK

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Hiya, does anyone else find experience in Here maps on WP8 appalling? Is is clear if they are going to introduce compass feature in next releases? I have used the app the other day and it really sucked. To start with I had trouble working out which direction to go, then the location accuracy was dreadful. Also if I am in My location mode when walking the map zooms in and out very fast like crazy, so you can't really navigate properly. I used to have Nokia C7 and I can say with certainty I enjoyed Nokia maps while walking about abroad. Why did they even bother releasing this half baked thing that is full of bugs and misses essential features. I am going to Rome in July and really hope they will at least have implemented compass feature by then.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hiya, does anyone else find experience in Here maps on WP8 appalling? Is is clear if they are going to introduce compass feature in next releases? I have used the app the other day and it really sucked. To start with I had trouble working out which direction to go, then the location accuracy was dreadful. Also if I am in My location mode when walking the map zooms in and out very fast like crazy, so you can't really navigate properly. I used to have Nokia C7 and I can say with certainty I enjoyed Nokia maps while walking about abroad. Why did they even bother releasing this half baked thing that is full of bugs and misses essential features. I am going to Rome in July and really hope they will at least have implemented compass feature by then.
Had a good run in several country. Nothing too different from Symbian version. You are doing it wrong I guess.

cbrines

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
My biggest problem with Here Maps is the POI database is woefully out of date, and the POI search algorithm is broken.

Unfortunately, these have been issues with Nokia Maps since the S60 days, so, I'm not holding out much hope that these shortcomings will ever be fixed.

SergikUK

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Personally I find places button a waste of space. Why would one want to have a clutter of different categories pop up when you search for a thing in a particular category, like a petrol station or a car park. I found the layout better thought through on my old C7.

SergikUK

May 4, 2013
Visit site
of course it turn as i turn, after all its a turn by turn navigation.

Mine does turn as well mate 😊 If you lay your phone flat while using City lense and start turning around you will work out what exactly I am on about. Same compass feature was utilised in N8, C7, 808 etc. Currently when you just got your directions calculated it is difficult to work out where to go unless you walk for like 10 meters and then your map turns. But if you stand still and rotate the map will not 😊

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine does turn as well mate 😊 If you lay your phone flat while using City lense and start turning around you will work out what exactly I am on about. Same compass feature was utilised in N8, C7, 808 etc. Currently when you just got your directions calculated it is difficult to work out where to go unless you walk for like 10 meters and then your map turns. But if you stand still and rotate the map will not 😊

Don't know what you're on about mate, the map rotates on my phone. Also, if I'm using the camera view, there is a compass in the top right of the screen. And here map on my phone, also has a compass.

Maybe you need to update all of your map apps or something, because everything you are saying isn't so on my L920 here in the UK.

Please correct me if I've misunderstood 😁

Furthermore, why would you recommend Here Maps to another member in a different thread (Apps for when you go away on holiday UK), but say in this thread it sucks? 😵

Last edited:

SergikUK

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Don't know what you're on about mate, the map rotates on my phone. Also, if I'm using the camera view, there is a compass in the top right of the screen. And here map on my phone, also has a compass.

Maybe you need to update all of your map apps or something, because everything you are saying isn't so on my L920 here in the UK.

Please correct me if I've misunderstood 😁

Furthermore, why would you recommend Here Maps to another member in a different thread (Apps for when you go away on holiday UK), but say in this thread it sucks? 😵

Well, yes the map works well in City Lense, it has got compass and everything, but when I use Here maps, although the compass icon is in the top left hand corner it is of no use. If I stand still and rotate my phone in the hand the map will not rotate as opposed to City lense. I have checked the maps they are all up to date.
I reckon I will give up till the next update 😊
I wonder if there is other alternative to Here maps, offline maps for pedestrians and what not? The maps are useful, but the experience is poor at least on my 820 😞

Dazzi

Apr 13, 2013
Visit site
Well, yes the map works well in City Lense, it has got compass and everything, but when I use Here maps, although the compass icon is in the top left hand corner it is of no use. If I stand still and rotate my phone in the hand the map will not rotate as opposed to City lense. I have checked the maps they are all up to date.
I reckon I will give up till the next update 😊
I wonder if there is other alternative to Here maps, offline maps for pedestrians and what not? The maps are useful, but the experience is poor at least on my 820 😞

Cheers for clearing that up for me -- now that makes a lot more sense to me. Sorry for misunderstanding.😁

I don't think there is unless you buy a proper satnav app for ?72 -- for turn by turn directions. 😱

I wonder if they do bing maps?

khatta

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Try using HERE Maps in Chicago and its all messed up. For some reason the highways are the least priority routes !
I passed by an airport (HERE Maps didn't know !) and the maps took me another 11 miles before it brought me back to the airport. Really ? ... and this is when I downloaded the maps offline. The online maps were no different.

I wish there was a way to reactivate Bing Maps as primary mapping application. :-(

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Here maps are ok, if you want a accurate well done turn by turn nav purchess Navigon. Its worth the money if you really rely on GPS. Here is mediocre at best here in Michigan even with the maps downloaded, usless unless you stick to expressways.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Foroplex

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
do you even know how to read a map with compass? Here map is having the top of the phone pointing the direction of the on screen little compass. And by looking at the streets name that makes it two redundant indication of where you should start your next step. Gosh.

SergikUK

May 4, 2013
Visit site
do you even know how to read a map with compass? Here map is having the top of the phone pointing the direction of the on screen little compass. And by looking at the streets name that makes it two redundant indication of where you should start your next step. Gosh.
I get you, but I didn't have to bother with it on my old C7 which came out by the way 3 years ago. Also try walking in a very dense area like Venice without compass, its a real challenge.

TheZuneLune

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Try using HERE Maps in Chicago and its all messed up. For some reason the highways are the least priority routes !
I passed by an airport (HERE Maps didn't know !) and the maps took me another 11 miles before it brought me back to the airport. Really ? ... and this is when I downloaded the maps offline. The online maps were no different.

I wish there was a way to reactivate Bing Maps as primary mapping application. :-(

This was a problem for me until I unistalled the Here Maps nd the Here Navigation apps and reinstalled them and since then the routing has been dramticlly better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3